Forum Jump: 

#61 of 83 Old 02-19-2007, 12:17 PM
A&A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
I want to write something but find myself at a loss for words : . It's just so stupid. When you look at these studies they are so obviously flawwed. Why does the media not see what is so clear.
me, too.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 83 Old 02-19-2007, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They've gotten enough evidence now that they'd skim over it by this point- we need volume. If nothing else, tell them that issue was the last issue you'll read or buy & you'll be notifying their advertisers of that fact.
#63 of 83 Old 02-19-2007, 01:27 PM
A&A

Does anyone have a snail-mail address for Parents' Magazine? Sometimes I think snail-mail has more significance. It's harder to "delete." (But of course it takes longer to get there.)

#64 of 83 Old 02-19-2007, 03:06 PM
A&A

Here is what Marilyn Milos wrote to Parents: (I'm sure she won't mind me sharing it):

Dear Editor,

The article by Karen Bilich, "Circumcising Your Baby May Help Protect Him from AIDS in Adulthood," is dangerously misleading. While circumcision is being touted as a way to stop the spread of AIDS in Africa, HIV/AIDS has successfully been curbed in Thailand, Senegal, and Eastern Uganda with aggressive educational campaigns about the danger of AIDS, the need for safe sex, and the importance of condom use. In Thailand, the government's program of "100% condom use, 100% of the time," providing free condoms for everyone, has been successful without circumcision, which is not cost-effective and has known risks. Reduced penile sensation and a false sense of security after circumcision could easily exacerbate the spread of HIV/AIDS by decreasing condom use. Circumcision hasn't prevented HIV in the USA, Israel, or Muslim countries. Circumcision is not promoted in Scandinavia because education is enough; so why isn't it enough in Africa? HIV policy should focus on what's been shown to work. Education, not amputation, is the rational approach to curbing the spread of HIV/AIDS."

#65 of 83 Old 02-19-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
Does anyone have a snail-mail address for Parents' Magazine? Sometimes I think snail-mail has more significance. It's harder to "delete." (But of course it takes longer to get there.)
I've often heard that, emails don't count as "real" mail and quite often get ignored.

Letters, on the other hand, command respect because someone has gone to the trouble to not only write it, but have also taken it to the post office and paid to post it. There is also less likelihood of multiple letters being sent by the same person, so each one is valued more.
#66 of 83 Old 02-19-2007, 03:08 PM
A&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisyuk View Post
I've often heard that, emails don't count as "real" mail and quite often get ignored.

Letters, on the other hand, command respect because someone has gone to the trouble to not only write it, but have also taken it to the post office and paid to post it. There is also less likelihood of multiple letters being sent by the same person, so each one is valued more.

Unfortunately I can't find their snail-mail address on their website; perhaps someone with a subscription could look up the snail-mail address for me.

#67 of 83 Old 02-19-2007, 03:33 PM

Great letters!

I'm so disgusted that this crap study is being used to perpetuate sexual assault on helpless infants. WTF is wrong with people?
#68 of 83 Old 02-20-2007, 05:08 AM

Tiger Tail,

that was awesome!!!

#69 of 83 Old 02-20-2007, 04:29 PM

Snail mail address:

Parents Magazine
375 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10017

Please, even if you have already sent an email, send a letter via snail mail. The March issue is already out, but they'll likely print responses to the Feb issue in April. If we make this into a big deal, hopefully they'll get the message that many parents consider it inappropriate for them to promote MGM.

You know, I stopped by the bookstore after grocery shopping yesterday just to get this address. It was their "Green issue" so I flipped through it hoping to see some great tips on going greener. Here were two of their ideas: Save the individually packaged items for lunchboxes and snacks on-the-go; and clean 100 pounds of toys out of your SUV. Can I just say I have never felt more grateful for the existence of Mothering Magazine? I love Mothering.
#70 of 83 Old 02-20-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Save the individually packaged items for lunchboxes and snacks on-the-go; and clean 100 pounds of toys out of your SUV
Please tell me this was satire.....

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#71 of 83 Old 02-20-2007, 05:32 PM

No I stopped and flipped through the "Green Issue" as well. It was about as far from green as one could get!
#72 of 83 Old 02-20-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Pickle View Post
You know, I stopped by the bookstore after grocery shopping yesterday just to get this address. It was their "Green issue" so I flipped through it hoping to see some great tips on going greener. Here were two of their ideas: Save the individually packaged items for lunchboxes and snacks on-the-go; and clean 100 pounds of toys out of your SUV. Can I just say I have never felt more grateful for the existence of Mothering Magazine? I love Mothering.
: :

Sing it sister. Thank Goddess there is at least one magazine out on the market that holds itself responsible for what they print and condone.

Namaste,

Michelle

ps.... I wrote an email and will ship off a letter. Has anyone heard back yet?

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#73 of 83 Old 02-20-2007, 10:24 PM
A&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Pickle View Post
Snail mail address:

Parents Magazine
375 Livingston Avenue
New York, NY 10017
Thanks!

#74 of 83 Old 02-21-2007, 01:00 AM

AAAAaaaaargh!
I am so sorry everyone, I feel like a dork.

it is not 375 Livingston Ave; it is

375 Lexington Ave
New York, NY 10017

I don't know where my brain was. I'm sorry if I made you waste a stamp!
#75 of 83 Old 02-21-2007, 11:47 PM
A&A

Oh, thanks! Good thing I saw this before I mailed it! I appreciate the address! Here's my letter: (not that they will print it, but still)

Dear Parents’ Magazine,
Shame on you for perpetuating the Victorian-era myth that circumcision prevents disease. The African “studies” you cite have not been published in any reputable medical journal. Medical historian David Gollaher states, “Mucosal tissue—the kind of skin found lining the prepuce (foreskin) and a few other places in the body, such as the inside of the mouth—has special immune properties that may actually decrease the risk of infection.” (From the book Circumcision: A History of the World’s Most Controversial Surgery.)
Moreover, circumcision presents very real and immediate risks for infants. For example, MRSA, a virulent form of staph infection, can easily find entry into the body through the circumcision wound. Also, circumcision impairs the bonding process and the breastfeeding relationship between mother and son. It is unconscionable to subject a helpless infant to the pain and risks of circumcision while the supposed “benefits” are still unproven.
The arguments used for male circumcision in the United States—culture, tradition, and “hygiene”—are eerily similar to the arguments used to promote female circumcision in other countries. All babies—male and female—deserve the birthright of a whole body, intact and non-mutilated. Educated parents need to protect the genital integrity of their sons.

#76 of 83 Old 02-22-2007, 12:00 AM

Argh, another reason NOT to like Parenting magazine (as if there weren't enough already!).

Off to write a nasty-gram myself....thanks mamas for the information. Argh!!!
#77 of 83 Old 02-22-2007, 12:33 AM

Nice letter, A&A!
#78 of 83 Old 02-22-2007, 01:15 AM

Wow, succinct & beautiful, A&A. Well done.
#79 of 83 Old 02-22-2007, 07:27 PM

My brother died of AIDS- he was circ'd WTH kind of stupid study is that? Ugh talk about misleading! And you know there are idiots out there who will simply read you CAN'T get AIDS being circ'd : What a wonderful letter A&A!
#80 of 83 Old 02-22-2007, 07:28 PM
A&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochanyk View Post
My brother died of AIDS- he was circ'd WTH kind of stupid study is that? Ugh talk about misleading! And you know there are idiots out there who will simply read you CAN'T get AIDS being circ'd : What a wonderful letter A&A!
So sorry to hear about your brother. Would you consider writing to Parents Magazine and telling them that?

#81 of 83 Old 02-22-2007, 08:58 PM

It would actually be very good if all the partners and families of circumcised men who have died of AIDS (the vast majority of males who have died in the US will have been circumcised) to write to every idiot magazine and newspaper telling them how stupid and irresponsible this media hype is.

It would be even better if they could start a campaign to say how ridiculous and dangerous it is to even hint that circumcision protects against HIV when clearly it doesn't in real life - WHY are all these thousands of people staying silent in the face of such blatant lying? Where are all the people who are campaigning and educating against HIV, WHY are they silent? Has anyone got the AAP onside here?

This is CRAZY, it's going to cost so many lives, in the States and everywhere else where genital mutilation is accepted and looking for a disease to "cure" - except this one is FATAL.
#82 of 83 Old 02-22-2007, 09:30 PM

I was wondering what exactly the US rates of AIDS among circed and AIDS among intact men are. I mean, that would be the best way to solve this. A phone survey......Or a gallop poll. SOmething scientific. I mean seriously this is absurd. why don't people see that?

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#83 of 83 Old 02-22-2007, 11:16 PM

Treece the problem with that would be cultural more than anything, kwim? I don't think it'd truly be accurrate.

Daisy that's a great idea!!!!!

A&A for sure- I'm so glad I don't subscribe to their magazine :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page