Writing Paper on "A Case against Infant Circumcision" Please help... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-02-2003, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Location: In the foothills of the magical, misty Smoky Mountains.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently returned to school and have a Comp 1020 paper due soon, an argumenative paper on a controversial topic. I chose the following:

(I)A Case against Infant Circumcision

I plan on discussing why we (as
a society) often circumcise our infant boys today
despite the lack of medical benefit and why it should be
banned.(/I)

I do plan on using this forum for some ideas but I would love to really present a clear, concise & logical argument. There is a chance if it's good that the paper could get a small amount of circulation & perhaps I could actually save some future babe from going through this horrible ordeal by planting a seed now.

Anyway I know there are several arguments. My question is: What main reason made you come around to your anti-circ stance? Are there any reasons you would feel most important to use? What reasons for circumcision can we logically debunk?

Thank You in advance to any that help here. I know I have strong feelings on the subject but I need to be able to present a clear and logical argument.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2003, 03:19 PM

My reasons not to circ my son:
1.It is his body and I have no right to alter it in such a drastic way.

2. The foreskin is an important part of the body(sexual,protective against infection).

3.Cutting off healthy tissue to *possibly* prevent infections/complications that may or may not occur in the future is inappropriate.There are other ways to handle * problems* if they even should occur.

4.My son can show his devotion to god in other ways.

5.Most countries protect the genital intergirty of girls/women.Boys deserve the same protection

Sara
Old 06-02-2003, 07:55 PM

This is the easy way out of answering your post, but you can go to http://www.CircumcisionQuotes.com/ This is my site and answers hopefully all of your questions.

My PERSONAL reason for not having my boys cut was the un-necessary pain.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:04 PM

Here are three of my favorites that address your subject:

http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Content...rcumcision2003

http://www.cirp.org/library/statements/sask2002/

http://faculty.washington.edu/gcd/DO...r10-15-02.html

And here is a link to a FGM article. As you read it, consider the correlation to male circumcision and the way men feel about it:

http://www.fgmnetwork.org/Lightfoot-...experience.htm

And of course, there's the Circumcision Information and Resource pages at www.cirp.org that is a library of circumcision research and news. Go there and search for specific subjects. It's a goldmine.

Frank
Old 06-02-2003, 11:47 PM

For a couple of well-summarized, fully referenced articles with clear concise and logical facts concerning the issue of circumcision (both of which also *debunk* commonly held reasons for circumcision) I suggest following the link :

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...&threadid=1186

Old 06-03-2003, 12:09 AM

Cutting off a healthy part of every newborn male child just seems so totally WRONG intuitively to me and I knew I'd never do it. But when this discussion came up with friends, I had to have a reason to explain why I felt so strongly about it so I did some real thinking and this is what I came up with:

Whether you believe that life was created by a supreme power (let's call this God) or whether you believe that we evolved thru a series of natural selection....my argument works for both lines of thinking. I believe we have in us, as individuals and as a species, a will to procreate and reproduce to ensure the survival of the species. That being necessary, I don't believe that God or Nature would design a flaw in any reproductive organ.

That being the case, it's pretty clear to me: If it aint broke, don't "fix" it!!!!!!!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
Old 06-03-2003, 12:28 AM
Banned

every reason that the U.S. medical data base cited for circumcision was and is corrupt. And all the studies that have been done to promote circumcisions are flawed and have been rebuked.
If the penis is such a problematic organ why do none of the other 23 medically advanced countries advocate circumcision?
And finally, being born human can not be considered a disorder requiring immediate surgical correction upon birth. The way we are designed was the way nature/God planned it. Certainly we can not improve on that.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Location: In the foothills of the magical, misty Smoky Mountains.
I just wanted to say Thank You To everyone!!!!!!!

Please keep them coming I have to get my outline together soon and this has already led me in a couple of directions I had not thought to go.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:44 PM
Banned

How's the writing project coming along?
Old 06-12-2003, 01:26 AM

I imagine this type of project can be time-consuming especially throughout the brainstorming process. Countered in with regular everyday duties we may not hear too much news till considerably later on. Keeping this thread easy to find may be a good idea in the meantime.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:35 AM

Hi I'm new here, but wanted to reply.

People who do it as a preemptive action against possible future problems may as well have their sons tonsils and appendix whipped out while they're at it. That argument doesn't make sense to me.

Then there is the old 'hygiene reason'. This is implying that boys don't know and can't be taught how to clean themselves properly. Like washing behind their ears - do we cut those off too?

Having it done for appearances I consider to be the same sort of thing as getting a tattoo or piercings. As such this decision is up to the owner of the body when they are old enough to consent, being fully aware of the implications, procedure etc.

I am yet to hear a valid reason for this practice.
Hope I haven't overstepped the line...
Kate

User Tag List