Ds's penis is super red on the tip - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2003, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We went to the ped this week (she is a super dr. AP, ebfing, cosleeping, etc.) but she retracted ds's penis a bit. I was totally surprised. She asked if we had seen the tip yet (he is 2) and I said no. She pulled back the skin a bit and said she could see a bit. I said, I never do anything to it 'cause I thought I was supposed to wait for him to do it. Anyway, he woke up the next morning with a super red penis and a chafed/blistered looking area. I has been this way for several days. We have had some redness before due to the cloth dipes, but it always cleared up by using a sposie at night only. NOw that does not even clear it up. Is it a coincidence that it happened right after the dr visit, or did she retract it. What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2003, 01:55 AM

If it wasn't connected, that would be a hell of a coincidence. It sounds like either he picked up an infection in her office, or she tore the skin when she retracted it and it is irritated from that. Is he in pain from it? I'd see a new pediatrician (who will not retract his foreskin!) just in case it is infected.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:04 AM

poor miles

i dunno if it's connected or not - but it defintiely could be! i don't have any advice, just thought i'd offer sympathy!
Old 06-09-2003, 12:42 PM

Why don't you call the Ped and ask if it is normal for your child's penis to be injured and inflamed after being forcibly retracted ? And then ask her aside from writing a complaint to the state medical board... what the heck are you supposed to do for him?

Aaargh? How many boys has she done this to?

http://www.nocirc.org/publish/6pam.pdf

I hope he feels better soon!

Love Sarah
Old 06-09-2003, 05:05 PM

you didn't say specifically how much the foreskin was retracted so it's kind of hard to say whether that could be the problem. If it was just enough to make it flare out slightly, there was probably no injury. If the redness goes away in a couple of days, all is well. If it persists, ther is a good indication that the doctor transmitted an infective agent to your son. The doctor's office or hospital is the most likely place of all for this to happen.

Most of these infections happen because of poor handwashing practices by the doctors and nurses. This is well known in the medical profession. One woman who was thinking of a nursing career told about foloowing a nurse around all day and only seeing her wash her hands one time in 6 hours. Always insist that anyone touching yourself or your child wash their hands in your presence before they do anything.

If the redness doesn't go away in a couple of days, take your son back and insist on a culture to determine what the problem is so that it can be treated properly and efficiently.

Frank
Old 06-09-2003, 05:44 PM

I would be upset, too. I would say the irritation is very likely from being retracted. I would call her on exactly why she felt the need to retract, as Sarah mentioned. See if she offers some solutions for care. I would not go back to her and I would tell her that. That is not respectful of the child. I'm sure that is difficult to choose to do since she is supportive in other ways.

DS's uncirc penis gets red at times, but not quite as you are describing. I NEVER retract or do anything to it. It's his and he'll figure out how to take care of it. I usually put a bit of "un-petroluem jelly" to help sooth it when it's irritated and the redness is always gone the next day.

Hope that helps. I feel for you and your little boy. I hope he is doing better soon.

^^Liss
Old 06-09-2003, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate all of the advice. I am going to call the dr. and talk to her about it and definitely take ds to someone if the redness is not cleared up very soon. Thanks so much for helping me out.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:42 PM

Best wishes, Bubbles.

User Tag List