NEWS: Couple sues over son's botched circumcision - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.wvrecord.com/news/193707-...s-circumcision

Quote:
MORGANTOWN - A ******* County couple has filed a medical malpractice suit against the West Virginia University Medical Corporation on behalf of their son.

Scott and Sherry Dumire filed a suit April 9 in Monongalia Circuit Court, on behalf of Hunter Dumire. The suit names the West Virginia University Board of Governors and West Virginia University Medical Corporation -- doing business as University Health Associates -- as defendants.

According to the suit, Hunter Dumire was injured during a circumcision procedure on Oct. 20, 2005, at the health center. The suit says the deviation of care during the procedure caused injury and damages to the Dumires.

As a result of the alleged negligence of the defendants, the Dumires have incurred medical expenses, and will continue to incur the bills for the care, treatment and hospitalization of Hunter Dumire.

They also claim Hunter has been permanently disfigured and request full compensation for the injuries and damages sustained.

Attornies Wesley W. Metheney and Steven L. Shaffer are counsel for the Dumires.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#2 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 08:20 AM

Poor baby! Sounds like they lopped off at least part of his glans.

What a sick society we live in. Putrid.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#3 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 08:30 AM

Poor baby. They botched my 3rd nephew's circumcision. It still breaks my heart, although it's been "repaired." Uh, yeah, right.

I really don't understand why people continue to do this.

Praying for this little boy.

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

#4 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 08:38 AM

#5 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 09:28 AM

And I hope when the boy turns 18 he turns around and sues the parents for the "choice" THEY made. :
#6 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bm31 View Post
And I hope when the boy turns 18 he turns around and sues the parents for the "choice" THEY made. :
HERE HERE
#7 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know if I can smile over this at all, but a friend of mine has been fighting me about my stance on circumcision. I had this story in my messenger away message and he read it and sent me a message that he "gets it now." I don't know if that means he won't circumcise (hypothetical) future sons, but I plan on talking to him about it later.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#8 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 11:12 AM

Why is it that THIS type of story isn't talked about more!!??

Im serious. I don't understand how ppl can continue to do this knowing there is a possibility that it could go wrong ~ even if it was one in a million ~ WHY????

Breaks my heart.
#9 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxinsmom View Post

Im serious. I don't understand how ppl can continue to do this knowing there is a possibility that it could go wrong ~ even if it was one in a million ~ WHY????

Breaks my heart.
For real. This story needs to be on the news.
#10 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 11:37 AM

Okay, they CHOSE to mutilate their son and are sueing because his mutilation wasn't dne correctly?? The parents are the ones that need to fit the bill.

Poor little boy. I hate that people can do this to little boys.
#11 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 12:06 PM

Isn't stuff like that covered in the "informed consent" parents have to sign? I feel so horrible for that little boy, and the fact that he will have to live with the consequences of his parent's choice forever. Too bad that they are only now regretting it due to the fact it didn't go as "perfectly" as they hoped.
#12 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 12:10 PM

'injury and damages to the Dumires'

fttt.

'Hunter has been permanently disfigured'

why, that's what they paid them to do.

i'm sorry. greedy idiot doctors should stop performing the procedure, but idiot parents that are that concerned about their son's penis 'appearance' that they get it cut against AAP medical recommendations should know they might take a hit in the pocketbook themselves. maybe THAT will finally knock it in their skulls, since being educated about the torture and mutilation of 'unbotched' circs doesn't seem to be as important as 'matching daddy'.

faugh. i hope they get raked over the coals by a judge who asks them how hard they researched the procedure beforehand, and whether they had internet access.

no one has the excuse not to question anymore. you might hear conflicting stories, but if you spend 5 minutes googling you will see enough to realize it's not 'cut and dried'.

i hope insurance pays for this boy's repair, and a trust fund they never see a dime of.
#13 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 12:17 PM

poor little boy: ....reason number 9,812 not to circ your son or daughter! i hope he sues everyone involved when he is 18...this really breaks my heart...that 2 very unnecessary horrific things this baby is going to have to go through, and just a few days or hours old i'm guessing...
#14 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It CAN happen to your son!

^^^
This needs to be added to the CafePress.com intactivist options!

I'd say they put the money in (a) trust (fund) for Hunter to use when he becomes a legal adult.
#15 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:

I'd estimate that something goes wrong a lot more than one in a million. Think of all the problems that wont be noticable until the boy goes through puberty like painful erections, loss of sensation, etc... I don't understand why parents can't think about those possibilities too. :

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#16 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 02:48 PM

I absolutely feel no sympathy for the parents.
And unfortunately, this little boy is just one of hundreds of thousands with complications. (10%.)

I'm personally, pissed that they made his name public. He's an infant, and not only did they take a part of his body away - they made it public. (They could have reported it, and left it anonymous, as they ought to of - but I bet they're trying to personalize it for sympathy.)
This poor child has lost every.single.ounce. of genital integrity.

#17 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 03:04 PM

Where are you getting the 10% complication rate (does this include complications when the person notices as an adult)? I can never find any thing except "low" under 2% and they always talk about immediate ones.

If we include adhesions as a complication, the figure would be as high as 70% and the 'stats' j(conveniently) just don't ever include anything that happens a day after the operation is over.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#18 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post
Where are you getting the 10% complication rate (does this include complications when the person notices as an adult)? I can never find any thing except "low" under 2% and they always talk about immediate ones.

If we include adhesions as a complication, the figure would be as high as 70% and the 'stats' j(conveniently) just don't ever include anything that happens a day after the operation is over.

Jessica
This is taken from the Canadian Ped. Society position statement:
http://www.cps.ca/english/statements...20CIRCUMCISION

And yes, those parents deserve a huge wake up call. They signed the consent forms for this totally unecessary surgery to be done on their son. IMO, the responsibility is squarely on their shoulders.

Take care,
Tara

Tara Momma to Callum and Gavin
#19 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Take this story and post it on mainstream boards!
#20 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post
Take this story and post it on mainstream boards!
Done! :
#21 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katfka View Post
I absolutely feel no sympathy for the parents.
And unfortunately, this little boy is just one of hundreds of thousands with complications. (10%.)

I'm personally, pissed that they made his name public. He's an infant, and not only did they take a part of his body away - they made it public. (They could have reported it, and left it anonymous, as they ought to of - but I bet they're trying to personalize it for sympathy.)
This poor child has lost every.single.ounce. of genital integrity.

Excellent points.
#22 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 05:58 PM

That poor little boy : I hope he sues his parents after he turns 18! They're the ones who consented to him undergoing cosmetic surgery in the first place, and hopefully they won't be circumcising any future brothers of his... :

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#23 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:

Seriously! OMG! I live here in Morgantown and I knew nothing about this!
#24 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 06:44 PM

Ah, if it said 2-10% like that I'm sure it would get ripped to shreds on any debate board if I posted it. Plus so many other sites like AAP use the lower figure 2%

The Canadian Pediatric Society doesn't use the 10% figure in their other literature either, so they didn't even try to set a precedence.

Oh well.

Jessica

Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#25 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post
Ah, if it said 2-10% like that I'm sure it would get ripped to shreds on any debate board if I posted it. Plus so many other sites like AAP use the lower figure 2%

The Canadian Pediatric Society doesn't use the 10% figure in their other literature either, so they didn't even try to set a precedence.

Oh well.

Jessica
The 10% complication rate is for meatal stenosis alone.

The pediatric organizations that claim 2% are only talking about immediate surgical complications like infection, bleeding, death, etc.

Meatal stenosis happens later, and is the most frequent complication of RIC. http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic2356.htm

Jen
#26 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx.mothernurture View Post
The 10% complication rate is for meatal stenosis alone.

The pediatric organizations that claim 2% are only talking about immediate surgical complications like infection, bleeding, death, etc.

Meatal stenosis happens later, and is the most frequent complication of RIC. http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic2356.htm

Jen

I KNOW, but why does every source completly IGNORE this when publishing information. AAP does not even mention meatal stenosis in the list of complicatoins.

Even the Canadian Pediatric site doesn't show this.

It is just so DARN frustrating.

- Jessica

I know this is probably unnecessary, but just got frustrated and needed to go back and double check what it says... nothing... I know AAP is not the best source, but most parents will at least consider it over a more pro-intact site that compiles the actual research and explains things, simply because it is 'the AAP' and they are supposed to be providing resources so parents can make a decision based on facts.

This site is so much better for a comparison: http://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/babies/Circumcision.htm, but again meatal stenosis is not included in the figures.

AAP Circ Info for Parents
http://www.aap.org/pubed/ZZZJZMEMH4C.htm
Possible risks. As with any surgery, circumcision has some risks. Complications from circumcision are rare and usually minor. They may include bleeding, infection, cutting the foreskin too short or too long, and improper healing.

AAP FAQ
http://www.aap.org/pubed/ZZZ13FOPIUC.htm

Are There Any Problems That Can Happen After Circumcision?

Problems after a circumcision are very rare. However, call your pediatrician right away if
  • Your baby does not urinate normally within six to eight hours after the circumcision.
  • There is persistent bleeding.
  • There is redness around the tip of the penis that gets worse after three to five days.
It is normal to have a little yellow discharge or coating around the head of the penis, but this should not last longer than a week. See your pediatrician if you notice any signs of infection such as redness, swelling or foul-smelling drainage.

AAP Policy Statement
http://www.cirp.org/library/statements/aap1999/
The true incidence of complications after newborn circumcision is unknown.32 Reports of two large series have suggested that the complication rate is somewhere between 0.2% and 0.6%.33,34 Most of the complications that do occur are minor.35 The most frequent complication, bleeding is seen in ~0.1% of circumcisions.35 It is quite rare to need transfusion after a circumcision because most bleeding episodes can be handled quite well with local measures (pressure, hemostatic agents, cautery, sutures). Infection is the second most common of the complications, but most of these infections are minor and are manifest only by some local redness and purulence.33 There also are isolated case reports of other complications such as recurrent phimosis, wound separation, concealed penis, unsatisfactory cosmesis because of excess skin, skin bridges, urinary retention, meatitis, meatal stenosis, chordee, inclusion cysts, and retained Plastibell devices.26 Case reports have been noted associating circumcision with such rare events as scalded skin syndrome, necrotizing fasciitis, sepsis, and meningitis, as well as with major surgical problems such as urethral fistula, amputation of a portion of the glans penis, and penile necrosis.32,35

#27 of 34 Old 04-19-2007, 10:54 PM

Here's a recent meatal stenosis study that found a significant incidence right here in the USA:

Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2006 Jan-Feb;45(1):49-54.
Incidence of meatal stenosis following neonatal circumcision in a primary care setting.
Van Howe RS.
Department of Pediatrics, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, Marquette, Michigan, USA.

The objective of this study was to prospectively document the incidence of meatal stenosis in boys. The study included a consecutive sample of boys whose visit with the physician included a genital examination in a private primary care pediatric practice in rural northern Wisconsin. Meatal stenosis was diagnosed in boys from 1.94 to 12.34 years of age. The diagnosis was made in 24 of 329 circumcised boys who were Tanner I development and older than 3 years of age (7.29%, 95%CI=4.48-10.10%). Nearly all required meatotomy to resolve their symptoms. All of the boys with meatal stenosis were circumcised neonatally (exact OR=3.54, 95%CI=0.62-infinity). The ratio of circumcised boys to noncircumcised boys in this study provided 80% power to demonstrate a 21.4% difference in the incidence of meatal stenosis between circumcised and noncircumcised Tanner I boys 3 years and older. Meatal stenosis may be the most common complication following neonatal circumcision. The frequency of this complication and the need for surgical correction need to be disclosed as part of the informed consent for neonatal circumcision. A careful meatal examination is indicted in any circumcised boy with abdominal or urinary complaints.

Katie (36)

Married mom to Patrick (2004), Noah (2006) and Liam (2010) VBAC!!
winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif
#28 of 34 Old 04-20-2007, 01:56 AM

Regardless, 2% is still 1 in 50. Also, the AAP states that true incidence is UNKNOWN? I don't get it. Why parents/doctors let this continue. If I were a doctor I would say "Absolutely NOT." And educate the parents. GRRRRRRRRRRRR.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#29 of 34 Old 04-20-2007, 08:33 AM

ALL circumcisions are botched. I think as intactivists we have to stop buying into the idea that there is a "right" way and a "wrong" way to do a circ. That sometimes things go "wrong." No, 100% time the boy loses the most sensitive part of his penis, and his penis will be "wrong" for the rest of his life. And sometimes things go MORE wrong than the loss of the foreskin.

Circumcision has the 100% complication rate of the loss of the foreskin! If there are ADDITIONAL complications then there are ADDITIONAL complications, many of which pose risks to life and health, many of which pose risks to whatever sexual function the boy will have left.

By focusing on the botches and the complications, we are implicitly supporting the idea that the circumcision itself can be done properly and is not all that bad.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#30 of 34 Old 04-20-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
ALL circumcisions are botched. I think as intactivists we have to stop buying into the idea that there is a "right" way and a "wrong" way to do a circ. That sometimes things go "wrong." No, 100% time the boy loses the most sensitive part of his penis, and his penis will be "wrong" for the rest of his life. And sometimes things go MORE wrong than the loss of the foreskin.

Circumcision has the 100% complication rate of the loss of the foreskin! If there are ADDITIONAL complications then there are ADDITIONAL complications, many of which pose risks to life and health, many of which pose risks to whatever sexual function the boy will have left.

By focusing on the botches and the complications, we are implicitly supporting the idea that the circumcision itself can be done properly and is not all that bad.

You're totally right.

I'm just not eloquent enough to make that arguement untill I have someone who has already made a few connections in their understanding of the issue. ((sigh))

Jessica

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page