So... What do they do with it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 06-12-2003, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've seen some references about doctors selling circ'd foreskins... who buys them and what do they do with them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 06-12-2003, 07:50 AM

face cream. (barforama)
#3 of 23 Old 06-12-2003, 10:23 AM
Banned

Foreskins are bought by companies like "Advanced Tissue Sciences" and "Organogenesis" to make tissue for skin grafts (Dermagraft)

#4 of 23 Old 06-12-2003, 11:27 AM

I find it kind of repulsive that a woman would be wearing some kid's foreskin on her face. Ugh! :Puke

There just aren't enough emoticons to express my disgust!

Frank
#5 of 23 Old 06-12-2003, 12:19 PM

I would like to point out- and get the word out- the engineered tissue manufactured from harvested human genital tissue- not only is it used for skin grafts- it is now a popular material to use for testing products aiming for

CRUELTY FREE STATUS

Rather than test substances on living or dead animals, apparently using this manufactured skin product is a new loophole for animal testing.

Would the products qualify as CRUELTY FREE
if the engineered skin was made with the penis skin flayed off unanesthetized rabbits?

Please get the word out to your animal rights friends that they should not be easily duped by cruelty free labeling and they should research and protest- boycott any products they discover to be using engineered skin as an animal testing substitute.

Apparently the people developing animal testing substitutes think that the human genitalia are not animal material, and are not cruelly removed.

example:
http://altweb.jhsph.edu/publications.../atla30_4c.htm

http://www.sis.nlm.nih.gov/animalalt/aa1997_No_4.htm
(find word: foreskin)

Love Sarah
#6 of 23 Old 06-12-2003, 12:20 PM

They sell it to biomedical companies who regenerate it to make skin for skin grafts. One foreskin contains enough genetic material to grow 250,000 square feet of skin. Which, by the way, sells for about $3000 per square foot.

http://sexuallymutilatedchild.org/f4sale.htm
#7 of 23 Old 06-12-2003, 12:34 PM

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/Area_of_...l_Culture.html

Another link- from the horse's mouth... apparently they obtained the "material" through *informed consent* was it consent to preform an unnecissary circumcision?- or was it consent to harvest genital tissue form a male infant? And did HE consent?

"Primary isolation of HEKn and HEKa
For HEK isolated at Cascade Biologics, neonatal foreskin or adult skin from reduction mammoplasty were obtained with informed consent through the National Disease Research Interchange (NDRI). Epidermal cells were isolated as previously described with modifications.10 "

Love Sarah
#8 of 23 Old 06-12-2003, 12:51 PM

18 page PDF document explaining the FDA approval for Dermagraft- a grafting product derived from harvested human genital tissue.

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/pdf/P000036b.pdf
#9 of 23 Old 06-12-2003, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe I shouldn't have asked... I think I'm gonna be sick. No wonder this is still happening. I figured it was greed, but thought it was just the money the doctors got from performing the circ (i.e. aobut $200) and it didn't make sense. Their cut of $200 isn't a huge amount for a doctor. But throw in what they sell the skin for and then it's really profitable. *sigh*
#10 of 23 Old 06-12-2003, 03:42 PM

It is very disturbing and I think if everyone saw what the poor baby went through during this they would seriously reconsider. It should be covered in depth in birth classes, I think. I sent a link from here out to some friends that do not have boys yet and to some that do and did circ. I have never and will never. What made me not do it with my first son was when I was in the Navy and pregnant, I went to visit a friend that had just had a baby and walked past a door with a baby just screaming his poor little head off, on the door was a sign that said circumcision in progress. I vowed from that point on that I would never do it. His father was not circ'd either. My husband now is and I wish he wasn't. He doesn't care either way, it took some coaxing on my part to not circ ds#2, but I won
#11 of 23 Old 06-12-2003, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
One foreskin contains enough genetic material to grow 250,000 square feet of skin. Which, by the way, sells for about $3000 per square foot.
And I'll bet the poor baby doesn't see *any* of the money!

I also hear that babies who receive pain meds are uneligible for this special privilege, and that's why circs are still done w/o anesth even though the AAP recommends it.
#12 of 23 Old 06-12-2003, 04:49 PM

This is my question. Are the foreskins that are sold required to be "pure" ie, no pain meds? I have been trying to find the answer to this question for a long time to no avail. If this is true, how do we find out? Help!

Kim
#13 of 23 Old 06-12-2003, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah
I would like to point out- and get the word out- the engineered tissue manufactured from harvested human genital tissue- not only is it used for skin grafts- it is now a popular material to use for testing products aiming for

CRUELTY FREE STATUS

Sarah, this saddens me deeply. It seems like I just can't win. I am very careful to buy only cruelty free products and now I have to do even more intensive research to find out what products actually ARE cruelty free.

Love of money truely is the root of all evil. I cannot believe what is done in the pursuit of money. I am sick of finding out that most chocolate is harvested with child-slave labor, that Coca-Cola owns Hain (organic foods) and that Nastle owns practically everything else. I'm just sick of it.

Momma to three fine children, one that lives in my heart and two that live in my arms.
Circumcision is wrong, regardless of gender
#14 of 23 Old 06-12-2003, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah
adult skin from reduction mammoplasty
Hey now--that's me! I had reduction mammoplasty (breast reduction).

So someone made money off my breast reduction? DUDE! I paid $750 in copays for that surgery--back when I was making $7000 a year!

Who MAKES the actual $ from the foreskins and the leftover breast skin? Does the Dr., the hospital? Anyone know?

Thanks,

Mel

(who doesn't regret having skin removed, but did it at 23, with informed consent)
#15 of 23 Old 06-18-2003, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

What ingredient do you look for in face creams? I don't think they put "newborn's genital skin" on the label. Marketing has a great euphanism for it I'm sure.

~Melissa
#16 of 23 Old 06-19-2003, 11:54 PM

Here is a link to the anti-aging cream that was mentioned above..
http://www.nbc10.com/healthwatcharch...ail.html-37-k-
This crap makes me so angry.
Take care,
Tara&Callum

Tara Momma to Callum and Gavin
#17 of 23 Old 06-21-2003, 09:17 AM

The names of the stuff is all creepy corporate futuristic trademark verbage- Boicel, Dermalife kind of junk. I feel like hurling.

Last night my husband was chatting with the guys who were wondering "What ever happened to Lindsey Wagner" (the Bionic Woman) So he looked her up and GACK! she is hawking foreskin face cream!

" Nouricel" ingredient which is made of foreskins

"TNS Recovery Complex"

"Cosmoplast"

"Cosmoderm"

http://www.gkayskincare.com/newsletter0902.html

http://www.isolagen.com/pages/pdf/Su...Nov%202002.pdf

"Make you skin as soft as a babys!"

(soft as a baby's c@ck skin that is! How flipping perverted and twisted is this!?)
http://www.biozhem.com/item20.htm

Love Sarah
#18 of 23 Old 06-21-2003, 12:28 PM

#19 of 23 Old 06-21-2003, 02:23 PM

Sheesh! The things mankind do for vanity!

a

The anti-Ezzo king
#20 of 23 Old 06-25-2003, 01:30 PM

From Dermatology Associates in the News(http://www.dermassociates.com/fitpatrickallure.html):

"The next frontier in face cream: products that contain human growth factors (hormones involved in healing skin). In a preliminary study of 15 subjects, San Diego dermatologist Richard Fitzpatrick examined the effects of a topical cream that has as it's key ingredient Nouricel-M.D., a combination of human growth factors engineered from human foreskin."

Also, *An Alternative to Testing Cosmetics on Animals* (http://www.he.net/~virginia/00000023.htm):

"Cosmetics companies may have found a good substitute to animal testing in “test skin”, a derivative of human foreskin. The developers of test skin grow the skin in a dish until it comprises 15 to 25 layers, then ship the skin in kits to the laboratories. Laboratories reported to be using the skin while testing their products include Estee Lauder, Helene Curtis, and Mary Kay Cosmetics. "

My apologies if either of these two links have already been posted, I checked but I may have missed one.
#21 of 23 Old 06-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
I have removed several posts from this thread by several different posters so please forgive me for not contacting each of you to explain why.

It is clearly stated as a rule of this forum that discussion pertaining to religious circumcision not be entertained here. If it does arise it should be immediately redirected to an appropriate forum or simply given a reminder of the rules of this board.

This thread can continue without any discussion of religion or ritual practices related to circumcision. That information can be had elsewhere without posting it here for discussion.

For those of you who had posts removed that contained information you'd like to repost you may contact me for a copy of your post and I will send it to you.

ekblad7 is a bit busy over these next few weeks and therefore is not able to check in as regularly as she normally does. So please do not hesitate to report your concerns if I or one of the moderators do not come across inappropriate posting and respond to it. Thanks for your help and understanding.

#22 of 23 Old 06-26-2003, 09:06 PM
Banned

I would like to repost what I said that did not pertain to religion.....

Why do the cosmetic companies and biomed companies want this skin that is "prone to infection" and "useless"? Ha! They know it is valuable! It is even more valuable on its original owner!

Also, what can we do to get an alternative mag (like Mothering or Mother Jones) to do an in-depth research article about this?
#23 of 23 Old 06-26-2003, 10:06 PM

I would also like to see the hospitals explain whether they disclose to the parents that their son's foreskin will be sold for profit. I remember seeing on one of the hospital forms something about things becoming "property of the hospital" but I had no idea what it was about. I remember asking the nurse about it and she laughed and said it was just one of those "legal" clauses that the lawyers stick in. With all the excitement relating to giving birth, I didn't pursue it further.

One more reason that I am so thankful that we left our sons the way they were intended to be.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page