Ya' just never know...... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-12-2003, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was told (by both the ped and the OB, who both wanted to cut my son) that the circ rate in my area is REALLY high (almost implying that I should circ my son for the sake of conformity.)

But...I've convinced two other people to leave their babes intact.

Also, I was explaining to my new babysitter about my intact son and she mentioned that another boy she babysits is intact.

So, my son won't be the only one "intact in the locker room" after all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-12-2003, 11:00 PM

Well, childhood obesity is on the rise in the U.S. Should we be feeding our babies Oreos, Fritos, and Coke so they'll "fit in"?

WTF?

Good for you on getting the word out! Save those foreskins!

Mel
#3 of 8 Old 06-12-2003, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Well, childhood obesity is on the rise in the U.S. Should we be feeding our babies Oreos, Fritos, and Coke so they'll "fit in"?
LOL, good point. Its not always "best" to be "normal"

kay

#4 of 8 Old 06-13-2003, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

So, I was thinking, "Well, if I'm going to have the only intact boy in Utah, so be it!!" (Which was the way I was feeling at the time of his birth--even my doula and female OB had circ'd boys).

But, as I'm now finding out, that's not the case. Our stats may still be high, but there ARE others out there in Utah who are protecting their little guys from this!
#5 of 8 Old 06-13-2003, 10:13 PM

I have no qualms what-so-ever concerning my last-born child, a son, and *helping* him to deal with the locker-room mentality. In fact since I am homeschooling my last two children for at least the first year, if not for at least the first three years (kindergarten, grades one and two) I may very well decide ultimately to continue schooling at home throughout the whole gamut of twelve grades. "If your best friend jumped off the bridge...?" (Something my Ma says)

ps. Make sure the babysitter knows if she *ever* retracts there will be repurcussions.
#6 of 8 Old 06-17-2003, 11:59 AM

Mamajulie, I have 4 sons living intact in Utah! EVERY ONE of my husband's co-worker's at Utah State University (the one's he works most closely with in his department) who have sons have left them "natural"! Good news, eh? We have been talking about getting a group letter together to the University to stop paying for circumcision, since our insurance plan is completely self-funded and they keep raising premiums and co-pays it would make sense to cut out unnecessary costs like that to save for medically necessary procedures. Eventually we'll get it done, everyone's been busy. Yes, the circ rate in Utah is "unnaturally" high but I suspect it's going down. I was hopeful that when Medicaid stopped paying for it, there would be a big decrease. But I work with low-income families who are pregnant or have young babies and have seen several families on Medicaid get their babies circ'd anyway! No one is telling them in advance that it won't be covered! The baby gets cut and later the parents get a bill for $300. There's another letter I need to get together - telling the hospital off. So these families have a cut baby and a bill they can't afford to pay....it's so sick. Anyway, I'm rambling - sorry
#7 of 8 Old 06-17-2003, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Yea! A fellow Utahn with intact boy(s)! I've "met" several here at MDC, but when I was pregnant (before I found MDC), I didn't know a single soul in Utah with an intact son. Fortunately, that didn't affect my decision.

P.S. I like your sig!
#8 of 8 Old 06-17-2003, 04:16 PM

I have two intact sons here in So. Utah. 3 of my siblings have circed their oldest sons but not their younger ones. My other 4 sibs and myself have left all sons intact for a total of 12 intact boys throughout Utah.

I have become an intactivist here in St. George. I had an article published in the newspaper last week that is getting the expected replies but if it has saved one foreskin then it is worth all the not so nice replies!!

Sarah

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page