Intact Penis-The Teen Years, or "I don't want to talk about it Mom!" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2007, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay....so there's lots of info out there on intact penises in babies...toddlers...children....

but now that my ds can't bear to talk to me about it...how do I advise him about his cleanliness, things to look for.... etc.!

So here's my question:
If a male NEVER pulled back his foreskin and let water run over it, would something bad happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2007, 11:33 PM

Is there a close male relative he might feel more comfortable talking to?

Momma to three fine children, one that lives in my heart and two that live in my arms.
Circumcision is wrong, regardless of gender
Old 05-03-2007, 11:40 PM

When a boy gets to that stage, there are a lot of things besides cleanliness, etc. that he won't want to talk about with his mom. While you need to respect his sensitivities and privacy, you still have responsibilities as a parent. So even if he rolls his eyes, and says "Aw, Mom!" just say what needs to be said occasionally, and briefly, to kind of keep programming him - just like you would about not drinking and driving, etc. I'd say to my boys every so often, "And are you remembering to rinse under your foreskin when you bathe?" (just like I'd say the same thing about "Are you remembering to floss your teeth?"), and they'd roll their eyes, and say "Of course!! Sheesh!!" One time one of them said, "Mom, I've been doing that ever since I was about 12!" So they do hear you, even if they act like they don't.

Gillian
Old 05-03-2007, 11:42 PM

I have information that I have gathered to print out and give to ds for just this thing : granted ds is only 2.5 yo but I want to be prepaired. I know how the teen years can be.

I have things about how to clean, what to do if paraphimosis occurs, what to do about a tight foreskin etc.

I also have it on there for dh in case something should ever happen to me. So that he can protect ds.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 05-04-2007, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
I have information that I have gathered to print out and give to ds for just this thing : granted ds is only 2.5 yo but I want to be prepaired. I know how the teen years can be.

I have things about how to clean, what to do if paraphimosis occurs, what to do about a tight foreskin etc.

I also have it on there for dh in case something should ever happen to me. So that he can protect ds.
These are the types of reasons I started this thread. I am trying to find out WHAT I need to tell him about. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:59 AM

Other things I can think of are if his frenulum is to tight I have a print out for that so that he can go in and tell them what he wants done for it instead of them saying cut it all off.

Some others are infections bacterial or yeast. How to treat that. Also it is my understanding that sometimes after having sex the first time a intact boy might bleed. That would probably freak a guy out if he didnt realize it would happen.

I will have a nice little book for him by the time he is old enough to read it

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 05-04-2007, 01:25 AM

Yes, I put together a packet of stuff for my boys when they got to be teens. I'm pretty sure they must have looked through them, but when they moved out, I found their packets left among miscellaneous other junk that they didn't think to take with them. I'm hanging onto them, and will pass them on to them again when they get a little more grounded in being adults.

I included info on condom use for intact men. Info on hygiene (from CIRP). And info on appreciating intact sexuality.

Gillian
Old 05-04-2007, 01:30 AM

That is a good idea about the condoms i will be adding that to my notes

Old 05-04-2007, 03:41 AM

Tell him to ignore anyone who says intact guys are "icky", "nasty", or "gross" (or any variations thereof), and tell him to run far and fast away from anyone who says he should get circumcised.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:05 AM

And just to point out.....some of these issues, like bacterial infections, yeast, and STDs, happen to all penises, not just intact ones.

I would also make sure he knows at some point about the functions of the foreskin, so that he knows how lucky he is to be intact. Please don't put the thought in his head with all the "here's what you have to do that circed boys don't" stuff that there's something better about the circed penis! Because there's not. Not even on maintenance issues -- circed penises get skanky if they're not washed, just like intact ones!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 05-04-2007, 05:20 AM

Would your son sit in front of a computer screen and watch the video "The Prepuce"? It is the most wonderful owner's manual for the penis and I'm sure
that any intact boy who watched it would stand right up and give their parents
gigantic hugs for keeping them intact. See it here

(WMP, streaming) http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcisi...C/prepuce.html

(WMP, download) http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcisi...TSC_256k_D.wmv
Old 05-04-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glongley View Post
Yes, I put together a packet of stuff for my boys when they got to be teens. I'm pretty sure they must have looked through them, but when they moved out, I found their packets left among miscellaneous other junk that they didn't think to take with them. I'm hanging onto them, and will pass them on to them again when they get a little more grounded in being adults.

I included info on condom use for intact men. Info on hygiene (from CIRP). And info on appreciating intact sexuality.

Gillian
That's really neat. :-)
Old 05-04-2007, 12:42 PM

I have nothing to add. I'm glad you started this thread. My boys are young right now but I know this will creep on me before I know it. I want to be prepared.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 05-04-2007, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In my family we are a bunch of weirdos with no shame that talk about all sorts of TMI stuff My poor kids will probably be so embarrassed by me when they are teens.

Anyway, I'd say giving him a packet of printed info would be good. Just tell him "hey look, I know you probably don't want to hear this, but in the rare event you ever have any problems with your penis, here is some information in case you don't want to approach me about it.." I'd imagine that if he ever did have anything major or painful come up, he'd eventually say something to someone.

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

Old 05-04-2007, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
Some others are infections bacterial or yeast. How to treat that.
I once had an intact partner use MY yeast infection cream. He said it worked like a charm. I was the one that kept giving him a yeast infection. I had a mild one that I couldn't ditch and eventually had to take some oral medication for it.

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

Old 05-04-2007, 03:28 PM

I guess I don't get it. I haven't noticed anything unique about condom use on an intact penis? We used them, didn't seem like anything special. Although I haven't had sex with a condom in years so maybe I'm forgetting something? I don't know, I think that it just isn't that complicated. I don't remind my dd if she is washing the folds of her vulva so I'm not getting why parents would feel the need to make sure their sons are washing under the foreskin?
Old 05-04-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
I don't remind my dd if she is washing the folds of her vulva so I'm not getting why parents would feel the need to make sure their sons are washing under the foreskin?
I'm with you.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:18 PM

For me it is not so much reminding him to do it as making sure he knows he can when the time comes.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:23 PM

I agree with Arduinna. As the mother of two grown intact males, I worried about the usual things, such as, will they use drugs? Will they become sexually active and get a girl pregnant? Will they keep up their grades and get into college? What will they be when they grow up? I hope I've done a good job of raising them!
I NEVER worried about their penises or their foreskins! : I assumed that they knew how to clean themselves, since they didn't smell bad.

The thing an intact man has to worry about most in the United States is that someone else is going to think that he has a problem. You might want to help them deal with any social pressures they might encounter. The good thing is, by the time your sons grow up, there will be more intact men than there are now. They won't be the only ones.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:49 PM

My boys are 15 and going-on-12. Whether it's embarrassing or not, I'm 99.9%certain that they would come to me or DH if anything was wrong or hurting on any part of their bodies.

Honestly, my frequent line as they were getting into the 'tween years was, "Don't forget to clean under the hood" as they made their way to the shower. I don't say that anymore, and kind of miss the eye-rolling from my boys.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
I guess I don't get it. I haven't noticed anything unique about condom use on an intact penis? We used them, didn't seem like anything special. Although I haven't had sex with a condom in years so maybe I'm forgetting something? I don't know, I think that it just isn't that complicated. I don't remind my dd if she is washing the folds of her vulva so I'm not getting why parents would feel the need to make sure their sons are washing under the foreskin?
I wish my mom or someone had told me to clean the folds of my vulva! I didn't start cleaning down there until I was an adult. I was a major tom boy and had very little interest in feminine stuff. I was in 6th grade before I finally shaved my legs and underarms (and a bit overdue by that point).

My point? Not everyone figures these things out on their own! I am sure I had a yeast infection or two that were caused by not being clean down there (who knows!), I also didn't smell that great down there, but wasn't sexually active so it was never an issue. I wish someone had normalized cleaning every part of my body. Behind your ears, under your arms, your vulva folds, foreskin, whatever.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:09 AM

I'm not criticizing or judging, but why would you think it was NOT normal to clean down there? Why would you wash your face and feet, but not your privates?
Old 05-06-2007, 03:53 AM

My boys were so happy to wash their privates when they were toddlers (without me telling them to, haha) that I didn't think it was ever going to be an issue. I never felt the need to give them any special instructions or directions as far as cleaning their foreskins = it was obvious that it was going to be happening! I'm pretty sure it would be a rare guy who doesn't naturally give his penis plenty of attention in the shower

Two of my intact sons are in their 20's, one is 16 and one is 5 and none of them have had any foreskin issues.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:19 AM

I'm not going to argue with Hunny that she says she needed to be told. But I don't think her experience is typical, especially not of the families on this site.

In all the AP families I've known and discussions I've participated in the kids know the porper terms for ALL their body parts including genitals and I'm sure normal washing occures first by the parent when the child is small and then by the child once they are able to wash. Most little kids have their hands down their pants to a certain extent as small children and especially in the bath when there are no clothes on.

Yeast infections are actually most likely to be caused by too much washing of the vagina, not too little. The vagina is naturally cleansing. A yeast infection starting at the vulva in a normally healthy girl is extremely small.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I guess I don't get it. I haven't noticed anything unique about condom use on an intact penis? We used them, didn't seem like anything special. Although I haven't had sex with a condom in years so maybe I'm forgetting something? I don't know, I think that it just isn't that complicated.
It's nice that intact condom use has seemed so straightforward for you. I have seen enough posts however from people who are not sure if intactness poses any particular challenges or need for change in application techniques with condoms, that I thought it would be useful to them as a reference. For instance, people get confused as to whether the foreskin should be in the forward position or retracted before putting on a condom, or if condom use affects the gliding action in any way, or makes condoms more likely to fall off. BTW, I don't have any one url for this info. I compiled my own document for them from a wide number of informational sources.

Quote:
I don't remind my dd if she is washing the folds of her vulva so I'm not getting why parents would feel the need to make sure their sons are washing under the foreskin?
Again, I just wanted my sons to have a good reference, particularly since (as we all know) the medical profession is likely to be uninformed enough to give incorrect advice about intact foreskins and foreskin care. I had already taught and reminded them about hygiene when they were little, so it wasn't so much wanting to make sure they were washing under their foreskins, as wanting them to be educated about their bodies at a more mature level of explanation, as they went into life on their own as an adult. The CIRP document does a good job at this.
http://www.cirp.org/library/hygiene/

Gillian
Old 05-06-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
That's what I was about to say. As a teenager I would have considered this an invasive comment, even if it came from the same-sex parent. From the opposite-sex parent? Unthinkable. I mean just think if it was the opposite situation, of a father asking about the vulva, and the girl insisting (as the title of the thread even acknowledges!) that she doesn't want to talk about it, and the father trying to strategize ways to continue with the topic, rather than backing off and making sure she has a woman in her life she can talk to?

Of course that is assuming that proper hygiene was already taught at a younger age when there are not the same sensitivities and desire for privacy. Teen years are not the time to start on this stuff, but the time to start backing off.

A bit of funky smegma is a lot less dangerous than violation of a young adult's psychosexual boundaries.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Of course that is assuming that proper hygiene was already taught at a younger age when there are not the same sensitivities and desire for privacy. Teen years are not the time to start on this stuff, but the time to start backing off.
ITA and I think that was why I was originally confused.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:17 PM

About condoms...

the two things that are different that i have noticed are:

1. when you put it on, you pull the foreskin down toward the base and THEN roll the condom on. After that, its not any different, except...

2. instead of just the end bit of the condom hanging at the end 'after' (on a circ'd man) before removal, the foreskin of an intact man rolls forward again, making the condom hang that much further forward/down.

3. in either case, the condom rolls under the foreskin/along with it as the skin of the penis everts and inverts during sex.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
"Don't forget to clean under the hood"

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
Old 05-07-2007, 01:43 AM

Quote:
I'm not going to argue with Hunny that she says she needed to be told. But I don't think her experience is typical, especially not of the families on this site.

In all the AP families I've known and discussions I've participated in the kids know the porper terms for ALL their body parts including genitals and I'm sure normal washing occures first by the parent when the child is small and then by the child once they are able to wash. Most little kids have their hands down their pants to a certain extent as small children and especially in the bath when there are no clothes on.

Yeast infections are actually most likely to be caused by too much washing of the vagina, not too little. The vagina is naturally cleansing. A yeast infection starting at the vulva in a normally healthy girl is extremely small.
I hope to raise my kids to be able to come to me with anything and everything, but it was definitely not like that in my family. My mom never talked to me about sex, periods, personal hygene, etc. I found out from friends or figured it out as I got older (like 17/18). We never talked about the proper terms for body parts, I didn't even know what a vulva was until I started coming here.

I do intent to make sure my boys and girls know how to properly wash their body parts, I assume that will happen when they are younger and not too embarassed. But I don't think a reminder every once in a while (like once a year) is too much.

I don't know if I had yeast infections, but I do remember always being itchy almost all the time and feeling like it was inflamed, strange discharges. It may have just been a collection of smegma (sp?) but once I started to clean myself properly (just water) it was way better. Like I said my mom wasn't the most talkative person about personal stuff. She was really embaressed and we just never talked about anything to do with sex or our bodies. I don't want to raise my kids the same way, YK?

User Tag List