Let's hear your best comebacks! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 48 Old 06-09-2007, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
 
kldliam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful Oregon
Posts: 1,638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please share one. Here is one I heard and liked:

When someone says: "He should look like his father." I always say

"How often does your husband think about his father's penis?" or if it is the man saying the comment, "How often do you think about your father's penis?" That ALWAYS stops then dead in their tracks, they never have a comeback for that.
kldliam is offline  
#2 of 48 Old 06-09-2007, 05:30 PM
 
trmpetplaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well... when I get "He should look like his father" I just mention that dh is intact so of COURSE we're not going to circumcise for that reason. Then I launch into a brief, direct explanation of how dh is *very very very* thankful that his penis isn't circumcised like my FIL's is Takes the wind right out of their sails to hear an adult intact son of a circumcised father's take on that argument! I can always see the little wheels turning after I use that one :

I can't think of any others at the moment... but I'm looking forward to hearing other comebacks!!!

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
trmpetplaya is offline  
#3 of 48 Old 06-09-2007, 05:44 PM
 
Tinijocaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I generally like to turn the tables on them with a simple question- "Why?" This works for the "I'ts healthier" argument, the "It's cleaner" argument (I say "How is it cleaner, or cleaner than what?")

It's amazing that people spout off these little blurbs they've "heard", but when asked for more information, they rarely can offer any.
Tinijocaro is offline  
#4 of 48 Old 06-09-2007, 05:53 PM
 
keriberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Them: "It's cleaner."
Me: Really??? My husband has very good hygiene ~ showers everyday, uses soap. Hmm...well, I guess some men are *wrinkled nose* different.

In fact, my husband has a theory on the cleanliness of penis. He believes that he should wash his penis after using the restroom since he touched it with his grimy hands where as his penis has been safely tucked in his pants all day. But, he does have a point. I bet it is much cleaner than the hands he used to shake it with!
keriberry is offline  
#5 of 48 Old 06-09-2007, 05:54 PM
 
puddinnpeanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I say that is just a silly argument! Do all girls look like their mothers? (In regards to breasts)
I had a good friend whose mother had a reduction and she only had "ant bites" as she put it!
What if our eye color is different, hair color, curly instead of straight, etc. We don't have to look just like our parents!

grouphug.gif mom to five on earth (11 ,9, 7 and 5) and one on the way October 19, 2012 joy.gif

One in heaven angel.gif July 2006

puddinnpeanut is offline  
#6 of 48 Old 06-09-2007, 06:07 PM
 
Calidris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Liming in sweet T&T
Posts: 4,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The best response to "he should look like his father" that I can think of is
"yes, we thought so too, but the doctor refused to do penile implants for a baby"

nothing more to say I guess :
Calidris is offline  
#7 of 48 Old 06-09-2007, 06:45 PM
 
Maple Leaf Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Over the edge and into the abyss
Posts: 2,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I told DH that he will never look like you b/c your penis will always be 36 years older.

And that when I was potty training DD, I didn't pull my pants down every time to show her how to do it, why would you?
And if you WERE always showing off your penis to our son, we would have MUCH bigger problems. (he laughed)

And it's not like your're cutting off your ears-something you will see every time we look at you. We're talking about a body part covered by clothes 99.9 percent of the time. He won't be seeing it that much to make such a surgery worthwhile.

And boys/men don't look at each other anyway. In fact, you go to great lengths to AVOID looking at each other. Think what would happen if some guy caught you looking at his penis at a bar? You'd have the stuffing kicked out of you.
It's not cool.
And kids don't shower after Phys Ed anymore.

And as far as the clean issue-

I told DH it's just another body part. You have to clean your hair, butt, pits. And you have to clean that too. If you don't, you're missing a biggie. LOL
He was concerned about the smegma issue. Disgusted really. But the Mothering article that quotes Dr. Fleiss rectified that. We both have a new appreciation for smegma.

I have a counter argument for everything circ related as I recently just had this situation come up.
(I won, BTW)
Maple Leaf Mama is offline  
#8 of 48 Old 06-09-2007, 07:16 PM
 
Meredith&Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My best reply?

"When my boys turn 18, they can pierce, tattoo or amputate it if they choose, as long as they don't tell their mama. I'll turn the decision over to them with all their options open."
Meredith&Alexander is offline  
#9 of 48 Old 06-09-2007, 07:33 PM
 
Fyrestorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always ask if they plan on getting the baby a penis extension and oubic toupee until his grows up and gets hair.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
Fyrestorm is offline  
#10 of 48 Old 06-09-2007, 08:00 PM
 
txgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In reference to the risk of penile cancer:
"Well you know his chances of getting breast cancer is double the chance of getting penile cancer, so I assume he will be having a double mastectomy also?"
txgal is offline  
#11 of 48 Old 06-09-2007, 09:00 PM
 
eepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: growing in the Garden State ............
Posts: 9,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It doesn't come up often, but on the rare occassion it did (and here) I simply bring up the guy I dated back in school who's dad only had one arm, but for some reason they never had his arm amputated so they could match.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
eepster is offline  
#12 of 48 Old 06-09-2007, 09:04 PM
 
calngavinsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ontario Canada....EH!?!
Posts: 2,079
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leaf Mama View Post
I have a counter argument for everything circ related as I recently just had this situation come up.
(I won, BTW)
OOOH! so happy to hear this Momma! I have been thinking about you guys.

One comeback I like is if someone says they circumcised their son because it's cleaner, come back with, well, did you/are you going to circumcise your daughter then? Girls have way more nooks and crannies than boys.


Take care,
Tara

Tara Momma to Callum and Gavin
calngavinsmom is offline  
#13 of 48 Old 06-10-2007, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter
 
kldliam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful Oregon
Posts: 1,638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what is a quick comeback for the HIV/AIDS scare?

any others?

I am not quick on my feet when I am engaged in a circ discussion so these responses are very helpful!
kldliam is offline  
#14 of 48 Old 06-10-2007, 01:45 AM
 
Fyrestorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kldliam View Post
what is a quick comeback for the HIV/AIDS scare?

any others?

I am not quick on my feet when I am engaged in a circ discussion so these responses are very helpful!
Don't you think condoms are a much better alternative than drastic surgery

Then you can explain how flawed the study was.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
Fyrestorm is offline  
#15 of 48 Old 06-10-2007, 01:58 AM
 
eepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: growing in the Garden State ............
Posts: 9,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kldliam View Post
what is a quick comeback for the HIV/AIDS scare?

any others?

I am not quick on my feet when I am engaged in a circ discussion so these responses are very helpful!
If circ works so well at preventing AIDS then why does the US have a higher infection rate than most European countries where they don't circ?

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
eepster is offline  
#16 of 48 Old 06-10-2007, 02:28 AM
 
incorrigible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Oregon Outback
Posts: 1,696
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
.

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

incorrigible is offline  
#17 of 48 Old 06-10-2007, 02:34 AM
 
bluetoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
If circ works so well at preventing AIDS then why does the US have a higher infection rate than most European countries where they don't circ?
Do you have a link for that so I can use it for future use?

I must admit I have been a bit vulgar about the preventing HIV thing. I say, well that study is flawed and it provides little if any protection. If *little boy's name* grows up to be an idiotic man whore I will fully support his decision to have himself circumsised. But I plan to teach him about condoms and why I respected his rights and the man he is going to become by not mutilating his genitals.
bluetoes is offline  
#18 of 48 Old 06-10-2007, 02:38 AM
 
Lady Madonna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington State
Posts: 628
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On the AIDS/circ thing, I've said "well, I actually intend to teach my child about safer sex, condoms, and using some common sense, because parental responsibility is about more than cutting up my kid and hoping for the best."

I'm also big on saying "dude, I am NOT CUTTING OFF PART OF MY KID'S PENIS! Are you *crazy*?" I've found that referring to "part of his penis" rather than "foreskin" makes the argument much more powerful - like, maybe the foreskin could be disposible somehow, but how can part of the penis be disposible? Dunno - it's worked for me in the past, so I'll keep saying it.

Mama to DD : (7/23/03) & DS : (10/27/06) married to DH 7/20/01
and yet 90% more mainstream than the rest of MDC
Lady Madonna is offline  
#19 of 48 Old 06-10-2007, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter
 
kldliam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful Oregon
Posts: 1,638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just remembered this one for HIV:

There are graves and graves full of circ'd AIDS victims here in the USA!

My sister once said to me:

He's not circumcised?!?

I replied: "YES, I didn't feel he needed to be surgically corrected at birth"
kldliam is offline  
#20 of 48 Old 06-10-2007, 12:47 PM
 
eviesingleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 665
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I said this once in another on-line forum where all the good, intelligent arguments were already made by the time I came into the discussion:

"He should look like his father."


"We're pretty worn out from trying to find a tattoo artist who will ink a newborn. I think we'll just let him decide if he wants the circ. when he's old enough to consent."
eviesingleton is offline  
#21 of 48 Old 06-10-2007, 04:26 PM
 
mamasophy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: central coast, CA
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the HIV thing: " there's a study that showed that circ'd WOMEN have a lower risk of HIV too..."
I also like "the US has the highest circ rate of developed countries and also the highest HIV rate"
mamasophy is offline  
#22 of 48 Old 06-10-2007, 08:51 PM
 
calngavinsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ontario Canada....EH!?!
Posts: 2,079
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another good AIDS one is to reply, I don't expect my baby to be having sex and getting AIDS. By the time he is old enough for sex, he will be able to make the decision for himself regarding circumcision as an AIDS preventative.

Take care,
Tara

Tara Momma to Callum and Gavin
calngavinsmom is offline  
#23 of 48 Old 06-11-2007, 12:14 AM
 
texmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
About looking like daddy: I just say that I have inverted nipples, and I wouldn't dream of having my daughter's nipples surgically removed so that she could look like me!
texmama is offline  
#24 of 48 Old 06-11-2007, 12:22 AM
 
eepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: growing in the Garden State ............
Posts: 9,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calngavinsmom View Post
Another good AIDS one is to reply, I don't expect my baby to be having sex and getting AIDS. By the time he is old enough for sex, he will be able to make the decision for himself regarding circumcision as an AIDS preventative.

Take care,
Tara
Heck, by the time theY're old enough for sex maybe they will have found the cure for AIDS.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
eepster is offline  
#25 of 48 Old 06-11-2007, 12:27 PM
 
stacyann21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well then, you'd better have your daughter's breasts augmented before she leaves the hospital or she will be much more flat-chested than her mom.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

stacyann21 is offline  
#26 of 48 Old 06-11-2007, 12:44 PM
 
CherylDec&Jul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great timing for me - with my due date rapidly approaching. Thanks & keep them coming.

Also, what do you say to someone who says everyone they know who is not circumcised has had problems?
CherylDec&Jul is offline  
#27 of 48 Old 06-11-2007, 01:00 PM
 
SharonAnne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In NJ's farmland :)
Posts: 3,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got two for that, actually;

"Everyone I know who isn't circ'd hasn't had any problems" If they really care to ask me how many uncirc'd men I know, I'll happily share. : Nevermind that two of them are brothers-in-law and one is my nephew :

And the other, "Huh. That's insteresting. Because I've known a lot of circ'd men who had problems too. My DH, in fact, recently had a UTI, which circ is supposed to "prevent" "

Yes, I always really roll my eyes.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
SharonAnne is offline  
#28 of 48 Old 06-11-2007, 01:01 PM
 
nd_deadhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylDec&Jul View Post
Great timing for me - with my due date rapidly approaching. Thanks & keep them coming.

Also, what do you say to someone who says everyone they know who is not circumcised has had problems?
Isn't it funny how people love to share horror stories? Since I got pregnant I've heard about 40 hours of hard labor, drug-induced haze, tearing from stem to stern - makes me wonder why anyone would get pregnant? Of course I know that the vast majority of pregnancies and deliveries go just fine, and I know that the vast majority of intact penises are just fine.

If my son WAS one of the rare cases who had foreskin issues, we would have him treated, the same way we'll treat anything else that goes wrong with him. Most foreskin problems are readily treatable without surgery.
We certainly aren't going to sign him up for ANY operation before he needs it!

(I think most people consider circumcision to be "just a snip", and referring to it as surgery puts it in a different light).

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

nd_deadhead is offline  
#29 of 48 Old 06-11-2007, 01:10 PM
 
liseux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: washington d.c.
Posts: 1,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"Oh, we want him to look like his dad"

what I say:
Yes, some of my fondest memories of when I was a kid were the hours and hours of penis and vagina comparing that we did with our parents. It means so much to have a vagina that looks like my moms. (I cringe as I type, you know Im kidding. Its just so weird to care about matching genitals )

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:
liseux is offline  
#30 of 48 Old 06-11-2007, 03:35 PM
 
gcgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidris View Post
The best response to "he should look like his father" that I can think of is
"yes, we thought so too, but the doctor refused to do penile implants for a baby"
That's great! I'll remember that one.

I double-checked with DH last night to make sure we'd already agreed on this, and he said "Yeah, he'll just wonder why his looks different from mine and develop a complex."

That's my DH's dry and straight-faced way of saying that argument is a bunch of BS. I'm so glad he doesn't have a hangup about his own circ.
gcgirl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off