Sister decided to circ - what next?? Update #58 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 74 Old 06-22-2007, 02:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh, nice response. well-said. i hope you put a big enough dent in her skull to let some light in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 74 Old 06-22-2007, 02:47 AM

Becky,

are you LDS? I'm sorry I haven't taken the time to read the entire thread and you may have already recieved this link. This pamphlet is good for LDS info. Your letter sounds very much like the one I ended up sending my friend after other attempts failed. Good luck. You have done what you can.

Mamma to 3! nurslings Emma (4) Daniel (3) and our new baby Beth! 10/10/09
#63 of 74 Old 06-22-2007, 03:11 AM

Very good reply!

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
#64 of 74 Old 06-22-2007, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTail View Post
oh, nice response. well-said. i hope you put a big enough dent in her skull to let some light in.
:

senior majikfaerie cult member
#65 of 74 Old 06-22-2007, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I am LDS, as is my entire dense-headed family. The pamphlet was one of the original things I sent to my sister, and I keep referring to some of the concepts in it, because they were a major part of what turned on the lightbulb in my own head. I can't believe she's ignoring these concepts in favor of her own stupid, limited opinion.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#66 of 74 Old 06-22-2007, 01:58 PM

Unrelenting, certainly, but also strong throughout.

I hope that it does the trick and if not I am not sure what will.
#67 of 74 Old 06-22-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post
Just sharing my reply, which may have been a little over the top, but it was emotionally honest.

And she said she would love me and talk to me no matter what. I wonder if it's true
Don't know if it's been brought up but read Galations 5. The beginning is all about how new believers should turn away from circumcision because it is the old covenant and God no longer requires a blood sacrifice.

I can pm you a write up I did if you want, just PM me and I will respond with it.

Partner to :Jessica(??) papa to Jake(7) and : Kaiya (2)
#68 of 74 Old 06-22-2007, 02:10 PM

Ooh, good to see you again Yoshua!
#69 of 74 Old 06-22-2007, 02:10 PM

It hurts so much to watch someone you're close to do something stupid, harmful, and irreversible.

Is there anyone else in your family, or a mutual friend, who might be able to talk to her? I know that family dynamics can be very difficult and I think sometimes intactivists have a harder time getting through to their own families than they do to friends or strangers because of sibling dynamics. At heart, so many of us are still 5 and are going to go "I'll do it because I want to and not because you told me to, nyah nyah nyah." Sometimes having an outsider talk about it will help snap them out of that irrational sibling mode and into a more rational adult mode. Just a thought....

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#70 of 74 Old 06-22-2007, 02:12 PM

Great reply! Do you mind if I, uh, borrow it if I ever find the need? (Like with dh's sister!)

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#71 of 74 Old 06-22-2007, 07:18 PM

Your reply brought tears to my eyes. I hope your sister reads it with an open heart, because if she does there is no way she can deny the truth of what you said. How can an LDS person not respond positively to the argument that Heavenly Father made us perfect?

Jennifer, mom to Joel , Duncan, Celia, and Aidan. Wife to Nathan.
#72 of 74 Old 06-22-2007, 07:47 PM

You've done all you can. I don't envy your position but I'd have done the same standing in your shoes. Fortunately for me, all I was asked as I held my newborn nephew in my arms was, " Should we circumcise him?" from his father and all I had to say was " Look at him, he's perfect. No need to mess with perfection."
#73 of 74 Old 06-22-2007, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Yoshua, actually I sent her an article from the official LDS magazine that focused on the scripture from Galatians you're referring to. It's quite a thorough article, and concludes with a statement included in the "Circumcision and Mormonism" pamphlet, which I find quite powerful:
Quote:
if the basic revealed principles are known, the Holy Ghost will eventually lead the adherents to forsake their tradition, or academic popularity, or peer pressure in favor of the word of God.
(Entire article found here.)

So if she read what I gave her, as she claimed, then she should be familiar with it.

Quirky, there are no family members that I am aware of who feel like I do on this issue. I may contact my aunt, who I am not close to, but she lives locally and is an IBCLC and seems a little bit "cruncy", and ask her if she is anti-circ or at least familiar with the impact of circ on bf'ing, and ask her to send info to my sis if she is. That's the best shot I can think of, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it. You may be right about the sibling dynamics. And I'm definitely the odd ball in my family, always have been. Unfortunately I'm also not extremely close to my sister - she was a preteen when I moved out and I've only seen her every couple of years since then. Most of my memories of her involve playing imaginary games like pretending to be dogs...definitely not the mature/grown up type of relationship.

Notyetamommy, feel free to use my response to your liking, although I don't find myself nearly the eloquent person I wish I were. I think I thought of about 50 ways to reword it more clearly/strongly/eloquently today as I thought about it, lol.

You know what's awful, I almost feel like at this point, the boy would be better off circ'd than to grow up intact with these kinds of parents hating his anatomy so much. With this sort of attitude, I also imagine them ignoring advice to leave it alone, and then he'd end up with a bunch of psychological issues and probably physical issues, and getting roped into a circ in toddlerhood, you know?

I keep waiting for an email from another sister or my mom, chastising me for being hard on my sister. I've never been so outspoken like this, I'm not sure what to expect from my family!

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#74 of 74 Old 06-22-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
You know what's awful, I almost feel like at this point, the boy would be better off circ'd than to grow up intact with these kinds of parents hating his anatomy so much. With this sort of attitude, I also imagine them ignoring advice to leave it alone, and then he'd end up with a bunch of psychological issues and probably physical issues, and getting roped into a circ in toddlerhood, you know?
YOud be really surprised how people's attitudes change about foreskins when they leave their sons intact. Ive known people who went into grudgingly and came out feeling that "seeing the head of the penis on a little boy is the gross thing, not a foreskin."

I almost think about it like poop . Sometimes people have a baby and, before the baby comes, they are squeemish about poop, but after, they make baby talk about poop sometimes even lovingly

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page