Please Vote! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 06-18-2007, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19294881/

Yes, it is worded EXACTLY like the last one (in which NO CIRC kicked butt). Apparently MSNBC couldn't accept those results and is holding a new poll. So please vote!!!

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 48 Old 06-18-2007, 11:41 PM

I see results, but I can't find a link to the original pole to vote in it...

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#3 of 48 Old 06-18-2007, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Opps, try this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19294881/

halfway down the page, click on "should newborns be circumcised?" in red

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#4 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 12:13 AM

Seriously...the response was OVERWHELMINGLY no the first time (70/30). Why the heck are they re-running the same poll? Are they just going to keep running it until they get the results they want? If that is the case they should just end the poll after the first "pro" voter. 100% of respondents say "yes" to circ.
#5 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 12:22 AM

It says my response cannot be recorded and I just see results, WTH
#6 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

I edited the link. Just scroll down to the red words "should newborn infants be circumcised?"

#7 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 12:28 AM

I did, hence the "It says my response cannot be recorded and I just see results, WTH".
#8 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

ops, thought you clicked on my first link (which I think was wrong becuase i linked from my results).

maybe try clearing cookies and trying again?

#9 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

NO just went from 62 to 55 in like a minute....:

Down to 53....wow....some circ fetish site must have gotten ahold of this. 300 yes votes in less than 60 seconds???

#10 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Wow...down to 50 now....

#11 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 12:54 AM

I could be wrong, but I think they have blocked certain IP addresses from voting, if that is possible? Maybe all the anti-circ's who voted in the last poll? It is very odd that they would yank those results and set the poll back to zero. I wonder if there is a very pro mgm person in charge of this poll.

Why is it that 'we' can't vote? how many of you voted in the last poll who are unable to vote in this poll?? It will not accept my vote either. Is anyone here having any success with it?

PLEASE VOTE and let us know if you are having problems too.
#12 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

I refreshed the page 4 times in succession and the poll went from 61NO 39 YES to 50/50 then I did it again and it was 47NO and dropping.

I can't help being suspicious...there were 300 YES votes in a very small span and now people are being blocked from voting...

EDIT: I could vote and my IP is different than the other poll because I'm on the upstairs computer...

#13 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

I checked the downstairs computer (the one that I used to vote last time) and I was not able to vote.

So I could vote on the computer I didnt use last time but not on the one I did...

#14 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
carriebft: EDIT: I could vote and my IP is different than the other poll because I'm on the upstairs computer...
can you try the computer you voted on in the last poll? i'm just curious about this now.
#15 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:
carriebft: I checked the downstairs computer (the one that I used to vote last time) and I was not able to vote.

So I could vote on the computer I didnt use last time but not on the one I did...
They blocked our IP address! Wow, I was hoping I was just paranoid.
#16 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe someone else with two comps can try this? I am really hoping this is just some coincidence because, if not, my outlook just got a whole lot gloomier.

#17 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kldliam View Post
They blocked our IP address! Wow, I was hoping I was just paranoid.
How is that even legal?

senior majikfaerie cult member
#18 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 01:11 AM

I can't vote, either. :

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

#19 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 01:11 AM

I was able to vote on the same computer I used last time.

I am shocked though at how the tone of the article attached has changed. The picture of those two little boys and the caption below it is heartbreaking. Poor boys :
#20 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Tinker:How is that even legal?
Well it's their poll. They probabally compiled a database of all the IP addresses
who voted nocirc last time and put a block on them to get the online Intactivists out of the vote. I don't know, just a hunch. Let's wait and see how many people who voted in this poll last time are blocked this time...
#21 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 01:13 AM

MSNBC SUCKS!! : Why does this even surprise me? Mainstream media sucks! Sorry I'm using the word SUCKS so much but it just : me.
#22 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 01:14 AM

I voted last time and just voted this time but right now the yes vote has it

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#23 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 01:14 AM

just voted

BUT OMGGGGGGGGG, read the "comments" people are posting....so ignorant!! I am dying! Even the "pros/cons" thing is infuriating - granted, they're just citing what AAP says (in all its ignorance), but the "easier genital hygeine" as a "pro" for circumcision?? No way. Cleaning pooh off an open wound (freshly circ'ed newborn penis) every few hours is NOT easier, for God's sake.

I'm also irked by the emphasis on immigration as a "reason" for the decline in circ's in the US, then just a vague mention of what the changing views are that are leading non-immigrants to not circ.

Happy to see that they're publicizing the decline in circ's, but the quality of the article leaves a bit to be desired.
#24 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christifav View Post
Seriously...the response was OVERWHELMINGLY no the first time (70/30). Why the heck are they re-running the same poll? Are they just going to keep running it until they get the results they want? If that is the case they should just end the poll after the first "pro" voter. 100% of respondents say "yes" to circ.
Probably some pro-circ advocate, like Schoen, convinced them that the poll was rigged. We have to prove to them otherwise.
#25 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 03:00 AM

wow...ya. ok...

I did not vote in the other one, but no matter what computer I used I couldn't get on. I went through everything they said to do if you can't vote, in their tech support.

I know you can see what site people are linking to your site from (cause I have that tracking on my business site). Do you think we are getting blocked because we're linking from this site? Has anyone been able to link over from here and still vote?

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#26 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post
wow...ya. ok...

I did not vote in the other one, but no matter what computer I used I couldn't get on. I went through everything they said to do if you can't vote, in their tech support.

I know you can see what site people are linking to your site from (cause I have that tracking on my business site). Do you think we are getting blocked because we're linking from this site? Has anyone been able to link over from here and still vote?
I linked from here AND voted last time on the same computer and was able to vote (twice - once linking directly to the poll from here and once linking to the article and then going to the poll...) this time as well.

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#27 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 03:05 AM

I voted. did you use the link in post #3?
#28 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 03:16 AM

I could vote only once. Not sure if it is the same computer I used the first time. Deleting cookies and opening a new web browser did not enable me to vote again. Just once and done.
#29 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 04:44 AM

I'm blocked too - but it's not a blocked IP address, my IP is completely different to that I had last time (different ISP), and I've got a completely different operating system too, so it's not cookies.

I'm surprised anyone can vote - they've rigged it somehow - maybe restricted the IPs allowed to vote to the very high circing states?

Clearly they didn't like the result last time, and are making sure that this time they get the "right" result. I think it's almost comic that the media, faced with declining stats they just can't deny, are now putting it down to "those pesky foreigners" and trying to make it out to be a truly "American" thing to do. Actually, I quite like that, how many people do it because of spurious "medical" reasons which are now being made obvious to be false, because the "pesky foreigners" are obviously quite healthy, and in the case of Latin Americans, have a reputation for being red hot lovers. It also shows how much the cutters are on the back foot.

So, anyone on the debate boards, when the pros start trumpeting the result, let the world know how the result is being rigged - it's important!
#30 of 48 Old 06-19-2007, 10:50 AM

I'm going to post this in all the MSNBC threads, its important...

---

I did a little playing around and here's what it looks like is going on.

If you link to the article and vote from there, its fine. If you link directly to the poll, it doesn't work and you're told, "Your response cannot be recorded."

Unfortunately, when you link directly to the poll, your IP appears to be blacklisted and you don't get to vote. Clearing cookies doesn't work. After you vote, you're not allowed to vote again. Your IP gets blocked from voting. Clearing cookies and going back through the article yields the "Your response cannot be recorded."

They've played some tricks to keep people from voting more than once. It looks like one vote per IP which rules out people who share an IP such as many people from home or work.

Bottom line:

If you are planning to vote DO NOT link directly to http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19296194/

Use http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19294881/

Of course, you can link directly to the votes page for results.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page