Please Vote! - Mothering Forums
1 2 
The Case Against Circumcision > Please Vote!
carriebft's Avatar carriebft 12:26 AM 06-19-2007
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19294881/

Yes, it is worded EXACTLY like the last one (in which NO CIRC kicked butt). Apparently MSNBC couldn't accept those results and is holding a new poll. So please vote!!!

incorrigible's Avatar incorrigible 12:41 AM 06-19-2007
I see results, but I can't find a link to the original pole to vote in it...
carriebft's Avatar carriebft 12:43 AM 06-19-2007
Opps, try this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19294881/

halfway down the page, click on "should newborns be circumcised?" in red
christifav's Avatar christifav 01:13 AM 06-19-2007
Seriously...the response was OVERWHELMINGLY no the first time (70/30). Why the heck are they re-running the same poll? Are they just going to keep running it until they get the results they want? If that is the case they should just end the poll after the first "pro" voter. 100% of respondents say "yes" to circ.
fishface's Avatar fishface 01:22 AM 06-19-2007
It says my response cannot be recorded and I just see results, WTH
carriebft's Avatar carriebft 01:26 AM 06-19-2007
I edited the link. Just scroll down to the red words "should newborn infants be circumcised?"
fishface's Avatar fishface 01:28 AM 06-19-2007
I did, hence the "It says my response cannot be recorded and I just see results, WTH".
carriebft's Avatar carriebft 01:29 AM 06-19-2007
ops, thought you clicked on my first link (which I think was wrong becuase i linked from my results).

maybe try clearing cookies and trying again?
carriebft's Avatar carriebft 01:32 AM 06-19-2007
NO just went from 62 to 55 in like a minute....:

Down to 53....wow....some circ fetish site must have gotten ahold of this. 300 yes votes in less than 60 seconds???
carriebft's Avatar carriebft 01:36 AM 06-19-2007
Wow...down to 50 now....
kldliam's Avatar kldliam 01:54 AM 06-19-2007
I could be wrong, but I think they have blocked certain IP addresses from voting, if that is possible? Maybe all the anti-circ's who voted in the last poll? It is very odd that they would yank those results and set the poll back to zero. I wonder if there is a very pro mgm person in charge of this poll.

Why is it that 'we' can't vote? how many of you voted in the last poll who are unable to vote in this poll?? It will not accept my vote either. Is anyone here having any success with it?

PLEASE VOTE and let us know if you are having problems too.
carriebft's Avatar carriebft 01:56 AM 06-19-2007
I refreshed the page 4 times in succession and the poll went from 61NO 39 YES to 50/50 then I did it again and it was 47NO and dropping.

I can't help being suspicious...there were 300 YES votes in a very small span and now people are being blocked from voting...

EDIT: I could vote and my IP is different than the other poll because I'm on the upstairs computer...
carriebft's Avatar carriebft 02:01 AM 06-19-2007
I checked the downstairs computer (the one that I used to vote last time) and I was not able to vote.

So I could vote on the computer I didnt use last time but not on the one I did...
kldliam's Avatar kldliam 02:03 AM 06-19-2007
Quote:
carriebft: EDIT: I could vote and my IP is different than the other poll because I'm on the upstairs computer...
can you try the computer you voted on in the last poll? i'm just curious about this now.
kldliam's Avatar kldliam 02:06 AM 06-19-2007
Quote:
carriebft: I checked the downstairs computer (the one that I used to vote last time) and I was not able to vote.

So I could vote on the computer I didnt use last time but not on the one I did...
They blocked our IP address! Wow, I was hoping I was just paranoid.

carriebft's Avatar carriebft 02:08 AM 06-19-2007
Maybe someone else with two comps can try this? I am really hoping this is just some coincidence because, if not, my outlook just got a whole lot gloomier.
Tinker's Avatar Tinker 02:08 AM 06-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kldliam View Post
They blocked our IP address! Wow, I was hoping I was just paranoid.
How is that even legal?
blsilva's Avatar blsilva 02:11 AM 06-19-2007
I can't vote, either. :
guestmama9908's Avatar guestmama9908 02:11 AM 06-19-2007
I was able to vote on the same computer I used last time.

I am shocked though at how the tone of the article attached has changed. The picture of those two little boys and the caption below it is heartbreaking. Poor boys :
kldliam's Avatar kldliam 02:13 AM 06-19-2007
Quote:
Tinker:How is that even legal?
Well it's their poll. They probabally compiled a database of all the IP addresses
who voted nocirc last time and put a block on them to get the online Intactivists out of the vote. I don't know, just a hunch. Let's wait and see how many people who voted in this poll last time are blocked this time...
Jasmyn's Mum's Avatar Jasmyn's Mum 02:13 AM 06-19-2007
MSNBC SUCKS!! : Why does this even surprise me? Mainstream media sucks! Sorry I'm using the word SUCKS so much but it just : me.
MCatLvrMom2A&X's Avatar MCatLvrMom2A&X 02:14 AM 06-19-2007
I voted last time and just voted this time but right now the yes vote has it
Mama Meesh's Avatar Mama Meesh 02:14 AM 06-19-2007
just voted

BUT OMGGGGGGGGG, read the "comments" people are posting....so ignorant!! I am dying! Even the "pros/cons" thing is infuriating - granted, they're just citing what AAP says (in all its ignorance), but the "easier genital hygeine" as a "pro" for circumcision?? No way. Cleaning pooh off an open wound (freshly circ'ed newborn penis) every few hours is NOT easier, for God's sake.

I'm also irked by the emphasis on immigration as a "reason" for the decline in circ's in the US, then just a vague mention of what the changing views are that are leading non-immigrants to not circ.

Happy to see that they're publicizing the decline in circ's, but the quality of the article leaves a bit to be desired.
SammyJr's Avatar SammyJr 02:55 AM 06-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by christifav View Post
Seriously...the response was OVERWHELMINGLY no the first time (70/30). Why the heck are they re-running the same poll? Are they just going to keep running it until they get the results they want? If that is the case they should just end the poll after the first "pro" voter. 100% of respondents say "yes" to circ.
Probably some pro-circ advocate, like Schoen, convinced them that the poll was rigged. We have to prove to them otherwise.
incorrigible's Avatar incorrigible 04:00 AM 06-19-2007
wow...ya. ok...

I did not vote in the other one, but no matter what computer I used I couldn't get on. I went through everything they said to do if you can't vote, in their tech support.

I know you can see what site people are linking to your site from (cause I have that tracking on my business site). Do you think we are getting blocked because we're linking from this site? Has anyone been able to link over from here and still vote?
trmpetplaya's Avatar trmpetplaya 04:04 AM 06-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post
wow...ya. ok...

I did not vote in the other one, but no matter what computer I used I couldn't get on. I went through everything they said to do if you can't vote, in their tech support.

I know you can see what site people are linking to your site from (cause I have that tracking on my business site). Do you think we are getting blocked because we're linking from this site? Has anyone been able to link over from here and still vote?
I linked from here AND voted last time on the same computer and was able to vote (twice - once linking directly to the poll from here and once linking to the article and then going to the poll...) this time as well.

love and peace.
artgoddess's Avatar artgoddess 04:05 AM 06-19-2007
I voted. did you use the link in post #3?
christifav's Avatar christifav 04:16 AM 06-19-2007
I could vote only once. Not sure if it is the same computer I used the first time. Deleting cookies and opening a new web browser did not enable me to vote again. Just once and done.
Daisyuk's Avatar Daisyuk 05:44 AM 06-19-2007
I'm blocked too - but it's not a blocked IP address, my IP is completely different to that I had last time (different ISP), and I've got a completely different operating system too, so it's not cookies.

I'm surprised anyone can vote - they've rigged it somehow - maybe restricted the IPs allowed to vote to the very high circing states?

Clearly they didn't like the result last time, and are making sure that this time they get the "right" result. I think it's almost comic that the media, faced with declining stats they just can't deny, are now putting it down to "those pesky foreigners" and trying to make it out to be a truly "American" thing to do. Actually, I quite like that, how many people do it because of spurious "medical" reasons which are now being made obvious to be false, because the "pesky foreigners" are obviously quite healthy, and in the case of Latin Americans, have a reputation for being red hot lovers. It also shows how much the cutters are on the back foot.

So, anyone on the debate boards, when the pros start trumpeting the result, let the world know how the result is being rigged - it's important!
SammyJr's Avatar SammyJr 11:50 AM 06-19-2007
I'm going to post this in all the MSNBC threads, its important...

---

I did a little playing around and here's what it looks like is going on.

If you link to the article and vote from there, its fine. If you link directly to the poll, it doesn't work and you're told, "Your response cannot be recorded."

Unfortunately, when you link directly to the poll, your IP appears to be blacklisted and you don't get to vote. Clearing cookies doesn't work. After you vote, you're not allowed to vote again. Your IP gets blocked from voting. Clearing cookies and going back through the article yields the "Your response cannot be recorded."

They've played some tricks to keep people from voting more than once. It looks like one vote per IP which rules out people who share an IP such as many people from home or work.

Bottom line:

If you are planning to vote DO NOT link directly to http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19296194/

Use http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19294881/

Of course, you can link directly to the votes page for results.
1 2 

Up