You know what is sad? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2003, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS, who is 2, has eight little boy friends. Only one out of all of them are not circd'. This particular boy has a mom who is Italian. I remember trying to convince her when she was pregnant not to circumsize her DS. She said to me "There is no reason to circ', only Americans do that!" I thought to myself "right on, I like this woman!" Anyhoo, I was just thinking of this because I had just babysat him. I just realized this because I am used to only seeing my son and everyone else is circd'. It is just too sad.
~Earthmama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2003, 10:46 PM

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:49 PM

Yes, I agree...it is so sad Some people talk openly about it, others seem offended when they hear ds is not circ'd. I just could never. He is beautiful and healthy just the way he is. I hate the argument, "well, his father is circ'd, we want them to look the same. My dh has an old tattoo from his army days, we aren't tattooing the children.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
Old 06-29-2003, 12:06 AM
C99

I'm not sure why it's sad... Because they made a different choice or b/c you think the choice was un- or misinformed?

FWIW, my son wasn't circumsized either. I'm just asking.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:12 AM

I feel sad for the little boy's sake.
Old 06-29-2003, 01:31 AM

I admit I feel bad for the baby, but I also feel sad for the parents. Many times moms say they "just didn't know they had a choice". My sisters weren't circing their boys 23 years ago, we live in the Northeast. I know circumcision(sp?) is much less popular out West. Anyway, I always knew I had the choice...about MANY things!

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
Old 06-29-2003, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

It is sad because the little boy had to endure such pain and without a choice. Also, good point about the parents not knowing they had a choice. Even two months before I had my son I wanted to circumcise him. I sometimes can't believe I ever wanted that. But I just wasn't informed. I remember trying to justify my reasons in my head over and over (such as cleanliness, and my mom had said my uncle HAD to be cut as an adult from infections). The way I came to my choice was one night I had a dream and it was my soon-to-be baby screaming from the cutting. I will never forget that night. It was horrid. I always say it was my DS talking to me.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:54 AM

It's sad because we are seeing a human being who had his body integrity violated for no reason. It's because we are seeing a baby that was subjected to pain for no reason. It's sad because he will have to deal with the questions of what was so important to have his most personal, private part altered. It's sad because he will have to deal with the repercussions and may never know that the long term problems are because of what someone did to him the second day of his life. It's sad because he will never experience the most personal loving act the way it was supposed to be experienced. It's sad because his sex life may end years earlier that it was supposed to. It's sad because his life and health was put at risk for no reason. It's sad because the guardians of health, the medical profession, refuses to speak out strongly against a cultural abnormality resulting in millions of abnormal men added to the world every year.

In fact, everything about circumcision is sad. There is nothing good or happy or wholesome about it. It is simply a preversion of our society and a violation of men's bodies.

Frank
Old 06-29-2003, 01:05 PM

Frank-your PM box is full!

Anyway, the only place I have had an in depth circ. discussion with other mamas was at an LLL meeting-well after. off topic. 2 cried over the fact they had circ'd. Some had 2nd sons they did not circ.

What is sad is knwoign hiow misinformed most parents are. Oh, my fave response to the "look like Daddy" answer is "So his Daddy has a tiny little penis and hairless genitals too? Wow. Oh well, too each their own!" Hee!Hee!
Old 06-29-2003, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankly Speaking
It's sad because we are seeing a human being who had his body integrity violated for no reason ... In fact, everything about circumcision is sad. There is nothing good or happy or wholesome about it.
No truer words ever spoken...
Old 06-29-2003, 06:03 PM

Quote:
"So his Daddy has a tiny little penis and hairless genitals too? Wow. Oh well, too each their own!" Hee!Hee!
Too funny! =)
Old 06-29-2003, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Frankly Speaking~ what someone did to him the second day of his life.
Ok, something else that sickened me. We are military so we are at the hospital every once in a while to welcome a new little one. About a year ago this friend had her son, and about 8 people went as did I. All were males in the room except me and the new mom. One guy asked if the baby had been circd' yet. And very proudly the father said "Oh yeah, they did it two hours after the birth." I was standing there shocked and I said outloud "WHAT!" I could see my hubby look over so softly as to say "OH G-D, here we go!" I said, "why so early?" ALL of them were looking at me like I was the crazy one. I at that moment firgured out why the baby wasn't even able to wake up. He was in sucha deep sleep. HE was less than 12 hours old. Oh, and get this part. The man that had asked about when he was circd' told this story about how it isn't a big deal becaue when his son was cut the doctor asked HIM if he wanted to do the cutting. I was distraught and I poilitely said I need to go get a drink I willbe back later. I just held my 6 Month old son tightly in the sling and wept for that poor baby and all the others. I had a hard time with that one.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:47 PM

OK, My PM box is cleaned out. Sorry about that!

Frank
Old 06-29-2003, 10:06 PM

Good for the Italian mom!
I am also an Italian mom living in the US (dh is American) and my son is intact.
I teach Italian at a university and 2 of my colleagues (both Italians married to Americans) did have their sons cut 'to look like dad'. Another colleague had a baby boy 6 months ago and I gave her all the info (especially Fleiss' aricle) and she kept the little guy intact! Yay!

In my mainstream playgroup there is only one other boy who is intact and I have no idea why...I mean, the mom couldn't be MORE mainstream...anyway, that's good! All the others are cut...I want to look away when diapers are being changed, but I can't help it...and then I get upset.

I love that comeback! I need to remember it and use it!!

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
Old 06-30-2003, 12:54 AM

: I'll never understand why people choose to circumcise their babies, it is just plain mutilation! Around the time my son was born, 3 of my friends also had baby boys. All three had their babies circumcised. I went to visit one friend at the hospital and she was changing her DS's diaper and the gauze fell off. I almost passed out when I saw his penis! It looked so sore, and he started SCREAMING when she went to put the gauze back on it was awful. I felt so bad for that poor little baby. It was the saddest and scariest thing I have ever seen.

In my opinion, if baby boys were not meant to have a foreskin, they would not be born with one!!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Old 06-30-2003, 01:53 AM

earthmama007 -
Old 06-30-2003, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

I know, right? It was so disgusting. I will never forget it.:

User Tag List