Mothering Forum banner

circumcision

3K views 56 replies 50 participants last post by  A&A 
#1 ·
My husband and I are considering not circumcising our son. We've researched and have been told by our midwife that there is no medical reason to have it done. Is there anyone else that is considering no circumcision?

#2 ·
My son is intact. We never had to clean a surgical wound, or pull back adhesions, or deal with any common complications of circumcision, like meatal stenosis. Instead, I just wipe the outside of his penis when I change his diaper and leave it alone. I never retract him and I don't let anyone else (i.e. doctors, nurses, etc.).

And he's just fine. We've never had any "complications" from him being normal and whole.

I'm so happy to see new parents doing their research about such an important decision!

#3 ·
There's a whole forum full of people here who didn't circumcise their kids. You're definitely not alone!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...splay.php?f=44

Edited to add my own story - I was totally ignorant about circ before getting pregnant the first time. Of course I thought I would circ - I didn't even think about it. But I don't remember how, but somehow I came across the idea of not doing it. Maybe it was here at mothering, I don't remember. Anyway, 3 years later and I have 2 intact sons and no problems. We wouldn't have it any other way!

#9 ·
I hope you check out the other board.

My dh is intact, as is my father, uncle, brother, and grandfather. We would never consider circumcision.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by noah's mom View Post
Yup, you're definitely joining a BIG club over here! Good for you for doing your research and listening to your midwife!

My intact DS recently turned 2.

min are 6, 3 and 3mo
I am so happy to have not circ'ed my boys. i couldn't do it because i was afraid they would hurt too much. DH didn't press because at the time of the first two we were dirt poor and boober i said i'm not paying for some doc to mutilate my baby!

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
My son is intact. We never had to clean a surgical wound, or pull back adhesions, or deal with any common complications of circumcision, like meatal stenosis. Instead, I just wipe the outside of his penis when I change his diaper and leave it alone. I never retract him and I don't let anyone else (i.e. doctors, nurses, etc.).

And he's just fine. We've never had any "complications" from him being normal and whole.

I'm so happy to see new parents doing their research about such an important decision!
Yes that.

My husband is also intact and is VERY happy to still have his foreskin. Circ. can never be taken back so instead of making the decision for him, he can make it when he's an adult. Chances are he'll be happy he's been left whole. Big virtual hug for not doing it, it's nice to see someone thinking and doing their homework. Your son will be happy you did and you won't have to deal with the guilt and the horror of having such a traumatic act performed on your innocent baby boy.

#14 ·
It not only is not a medically supportable choice, it's also not your body. Just think how you would feel if someone else made the decision for you to remove a healthy and sexually functional part of your body!

Circumcision rates grew very quickly at the beginning of the 1900s, and now they are decreasing just as rapidly as people become educated. It was a fad based on quack science and shame of sexual pleasure (it was originally done with the hope of keeping boys from masturbating.)

#18 ·
Great job for doing your research! I very much recommend checking out the circumcision forum that Benji'sMom linked, there is a lot of good info there. Not only does circumcision take away part of your son that he can never get back, without his consent, it is NOT SAFE. When I found out I was having a boy, it seemed crazy to me to take such a risk for no real benefit. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My husband is circumsized, and kind of wanted our son to be as well, before we'd done much research, but when I told him he'd have to take care of the wound and change all the diapers until it was "healed", he changed his mind.
We are so happy to have an intact son!

hapersmion

#21 ·
As online communities go - this one is great for support for leaving your baby intact. I have 2 boys - 6 years old and 21 months, and they are both intact. I have never, ever regretted my choice - and they haven't either, as far as I can tell. If they think I made the wrong decision, they are free to schedule a surgery on their 18th birthday - a choice they wouldn't have, had I made the decision for them.

#22 ·
Yay you! Please dont circumcise your sweet little perfect boy.
You say you are considering not circumcising your son as if circumcision is the primary choice and anything other than that is considered abnormal. Well, like all other mamas on MDC I never considered even the idea of cirumcising my son. I think it is abnormal and strange to do such a thing.
I dont actually know anyone who circumcises. I have 2 brothers with sons-all intact. One sister with 2 sons-both intact. I have 5 brothers-4 of which are intact. ALL of my mother friends with sons left them intact.
And of course my little Harvest George is intact.

#23 ·
We have a dd that is intact. And if we have a boy, he will not be circumcised. No way, no how.

Since you're leaving your son intact, why don't you look into resources on how to make sure your son is properly treated by medical professionals? A lot of doctors don't know much about the intact penis and that can result in unnecessary damage to the penis (especially via retraction) and unnecessary circumcisions.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky06 View Post
Is there anyone else that is considering no circumcision?
I learned the truth about circumcision just before my first pregnancy and to me, it's not something that should ever be considered. There's no way any child of mine would be circumcised. We have two intact sons and one more on the way.
What's more, my brother and his wife opted not to circ their son, and I'm hopeful that our example will lead the way for the rest of our siblings and many of our friends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.