Involuntary Ritual Amputation among the Nacirema People - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-21-2007, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[Obviously since you are on the CAC forum, you already understand the point of this essay. It is shared here for you to post elsewhere in relevant locations where mgm is not the explicit topic to see if it helps jar people out of their culturally ingrained biases.]

The Nacirema people have a varied and diverse culture including the practice of many forms of body modification. All rituals of this kind are voluntarily performed except one: the birth rite of 'noisicmucric' (noi-zik-mook-rik). In this article, how and why the Nacirema rationalize forced ritual amputation will be explored.

In Nacirema culture this rite is widely practiced by parents who believe it is their right to decide whether or not part of their newborn's body will be ritually amputated. The rite is performed by one of the medicine men shortly after birth. He takes the baby away from its mother to a secluded area where she can't see or hear what will happen. The baby's arms and legs are tied down so that the baby can't move. The medicine man then amputates a natural normal and healthy part of the baby's body and throws the removed part away.

Discussion of the rite is considered taboo by most Nacirema and is rarely mentioned in their culture except to remind themselves of the benefits of the rite and the dangers of not having it done. The Nacirema believe that all females are born perfect by design while males are born flawed with part of their bodies 'unclean' that must be amputated in order to maintain good health. They believe if this is not done at birth then it will only have to be done later when it would be much more traumatic, though only a few who have not had it at birth, ever have it done later. For those whose fathers also had the rite, the Nacirema consider it even more important to have the rite done or otherwise the boy will suffer great mental harm when he realizes he has a body part that his father does not have.

For those Nacirema men whose parents choose not to put them through this rite, they face a lifetime of social rejection. Their male peers will make fun of their status. Nacirema women consider men who haven't gone through the rite as ugly, unhealthy, and not 'normal'. They openly claim to sexually prefer men who have gone through the rite because they believe it is more attractive, healthier and looks more 'natural'. Even when visiting a medicine man on an unrelated matter, if he notices the rite hasn't been performed he will often encourage that it be done to ward off any potential future problems.

For a Nacirema mother if she doesn't want the ritual performed on her baby, it would be as if she were rejecting her father, brothers, and even her own husband, all of whom have gone through the rite and consider it important to continue the tradition. Also if she already has had one son done then having to explain why one was not done would make her feel uncomfortable. She will often reason that the father should be the one to decide since he knows what it is like to live without the body part in question; thus removing the responsibility of the decision from herself and placing it on the father.

For a Nacirema father who has gone through the rite, he is usually only vaguely aware that some men do not go through it. If he decides to not let his son undergo the rite then he has to ask himself why was it done to him. The idea that his son might be allowed to keep a body part that he doesn't have anymore makes him feel uncomfortable. It is emotionally painful for men to acknowledge that part of their body was amputated without their consent leaving them literally less of a man and most can't do it. Instead he repeats the reassuring reasons, originally from the medicine men, that he has heard on the rare occasions when it was mentioned in Nacirema culture; thus removing the responsibility of the decision from himself and placing it on the medicine men.

However what most Nacirema parents don't realize is that the medicine men no longer believe that performing this rite is justifiable for health reasons. This is rarely mentioned since it makes those who have gone through the rite or consented to have it done on their sons, feel uncomfortable. The medicine men who actually perform the rite believe they are not responsible since, even though it is their position in Nacirema society to be the authority about these things, they are just doing what the parents want; thus removing the responsibility for the decision from themselves and placing it on the parents.

It is interesting to note that the people who decide that the body part in question is useless rarely include anyone who actually still has that body part. Also they do not consider whether the baby, whose body it is, wants part of his body amputated or not, and instead they believe that the baby will thank them for it later. Contemplating not performing this ritual amputation makes Nacirema parents and medicine men feel so emotionally uncomfortable that the Nacirema consider this too much for anyone to bear when they can simply amputate part of the infant boy's body so everyone who can speak will feel a whole lot better; thus the birth rite of 'noisicmucric' is perpetuated.

At your discretion, you may watch the following 2 minute video excerpt below of an actual Nacirema Medicine Man performing the ritual of Noisicmucric on a newborn baby.

[If you repost this article, here is where I would put the video embed code. I like this version best since it is short and starts with a blank screen. http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=163488 ]

If you are still not sure who the Nacirema are and what Noisicmucric is, then try them backwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-15-2008, 12:01 AM

This is Cultural Conformity. There is no power in being a dead fish.

Thats all I can say.
#3 of 6 Old 05-15-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
This is Cultural Conformity. There is no power in being a dead fish.

Thats all I can say.
I thought it looked a little strange. Cute- very cute! But I guess I've been looking at this subject for 10 years....
#4 of 6 Old 05-15-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan1097 View Post
I thought it looked a little strange. Cute- very cute! But I guess I've been looking at this subject for 10 years....
To you and I, this story isn't hard to figure out. To someone who has been brainwashed and blind sighted with a cultural blindfold... This story will remove themselves for a moment to see the brutal act of genital torture for what it really is.

At least thats what I'm hoping for.

I sent this to a friend this evening. I had a talk with her earlier and she wants to circumcise because of all the reasons we've heard of before, even the 'ol "Everyone is doing it" excuse She actually said that. I gave her the documentary "CUT" - I'm sure she'll watch it. I sent her the circ video that kdliam posted (in my siggy) and she said it wasn't real. But she wants to be "informed" so she's going to give everything I give to her, 'a chance' and read it or see it (if its a video). She is due in June. I've been trying to educate her since last December. I'm praying for a miracle!
#5 of 6 Old 05-15-2008, 07:36 AM

I do find it strange how we look at African manhood rituals regarding circ' as brutal and steeped in superstitoin.(nak) But never turn the same lense on ourselves.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#6 of 6 Old 05-15-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
To you and I, this story isn't hard to figure out. To someone who has been brainwashed and blind sighted with a cultural blindfold... This story will remove themselves for a moment to see the brutal act of genital torture for what it really is.

At least thats what I'm hoping for.

I sent this to a friend this evening. I had a talk with her earlier and she wants to circumcise because of all the reasons we've heard of before, even the 'ol "Everyone is doing it" excuse She actually said that. I gave her the documentary "CUT" - I'm sure she'll watch it. I sent her the circ video that kdliam posted (in my siggy) and she said it wasn't real. But she wants to be "informed" so she's going to give everything I give to her, 'a chance' and read it or see it (if its a video). She is due in June. I've been trying to educate her since last December. I'm praying for a miracle!
I have my fingers crossed for you. CUT is an excellent film choice hopefully it will get through to her. At least you tried.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page