My gramma is a wealth of knowledge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-30-2007, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
<insert huge eyeroll>

i love my g-ma. she is wonderful. but MY WORD, people. my sister was talking with her about our cousin's upcoming baby boy. my sis said "yeah, we have a few more months to convince her not to circ..."

and my g-ma nicely informed my sister that:

~There is ZERO incidence of cervical cancer in Jewish women because all the Jewish men are circumcised.

Seriously.

Zero.

No Jewish woman has ever had cervical cancer.

Ai yi yi.

Oh, and of course she went on about how hard is is to keep them dirty intact pee pee's clean....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 07-30-2007, 12:17 AM

You know.... if that wasn't such an ignorant statement, I'd be laughing.

Oh, heck, who am I kidding? I am laughing.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#3 of 17 Old 07-30-2007, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisie125 View Post
You know.... if that wasn't such an ignorant statement, I'd be laughing.

Oh, heck, who am I kidding? I am laughing.
Its so absurd it is laughable. And you have to picture my grandma....not the most open person regarding sex/genitals in the world. And the thing is, she has 5 sons and only left one (my father) intact, because he was their "love" child....
#4 of 17 Old 07-30-2007, 12:34 AM

I love google.

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi...ournalCode=ijg

While it is lower it is due to genetics. And anyway you can show her this so she knows Jewish women do get cervical cancer. And how bizarre it is to imagine you future grandson to be cancer spreader!
#5 of 17 Old 07-30-2007, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusBirthMama View Post
Its so absurd it is laughable. And you have to picture my grandma....not the most open person regarding sex/genitals in the world. And the thing is, she has 5 sons and only left one (my father) intact, because he was their "love" child....
Dah... What?!? Oh my. Now I've seen a "dumb" reason for keeping a child intact! (Not that your father cares, since he's intact, but....)
#6 of 17 Old 07-30-2007, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusBirthMama View Post
And the thing is, she has 5 sons and only left one (my father) intact, because he was their "love" child....
:

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#7 of 17 Old 07-30-2007, 05:37 AM

My grandma told me that it has to be done because if the boy ever grows up and wants to join the military, they require it to be done. I don't think she believed me when I told her that was not true.
#8 of 17 Old 07-30-2007, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan1097 View Post
Dah... What?!? Oh my. Now I've seen a "dumb" reason for keeping a child intact! (Not that your father cares, since he's intact, but....)

yeah, my grampa had been having an affair and then they reconciled and my dad was concieved in that reconciliation period and he was then her precious baby. The symbol of her dh coming back to her...how could she cause him pain?! its crazy to me....
#9 of 17 Old 07-30-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorismom View Post
My grandma told me that it has to be done because if the boy ever grows up and wants to join the military, they require it to be done. I don't think she believed me when I told her that was not true.
During WW2 many men (not all but alot) were circ'ed without much say in the matter for various reasons they often didn't want to share with their wives. Can you imagine your GMs reaction to your GP coming home and admitting the reason he was circ'ed was b/c there had been alot of outbreaks of STDs on his base, or b/c the military was so full of racist they were convinced that blackmen couldn't keep themselves clean. They were still encouraging it during the Korean war.

If it were me, next time your GM brought it up I would just explain that they don't do that anymore and not worry about the slight inaccuracy b/c GM doesn't really need the details of why GP told her it was required for all.

#10 of 17 Old 07-30-2007, 03:45 PM

I don't believe for one minute that there is a genetic reason Jewish women have lower rates of cervical cancer.

Cervical cancer is most often a result of unsafe sex with other behavioral factors sometimes involved.

People who are Jewish, while not all are observant, many are or have been at some times in their lives religeous.

Religeous people in general have less sex outside of marriage and/or fewer partners. Thus less chances to be exposed to the HPV virus that causes cervical cancer.

I hypothesize that if you compared Observant Jews to observant Catholics you would see (regardless of foreskin status) no difference in rates of cervical cancer.

This is just a belief I hold - I have not done a research paper on it so don't ask me for links - though I am sure some could be found with enough diligence.

Carla : )
#11 of 17 Old 07-30-2007, 03:53 PM

That study ws originally done, I believe, in the early 1930's. It ocndluded that Jewish women have a lower rate of cervical cancer and then went on to conclude that it must be because Jewish men are circumcised. A re-analysis of the data suggested that the real predictor of cervical cancer is number of sexual partners. Thus, the reason why the Jewish women had a lower rate wa because they tended to be sexually conservative and have few sexual partners.
#12 of 17 Old 07-31-2007, 06:13 AM

I guess that I should have noted that i am a threakiller
#13 of 17 Old 07-31-2007, 11:45 AM

One study I looked at concluded that the sexual morality was the original hypothesis but as they became less conservative as did women in many countries the rate still stayed lower. Keep in mind you don't have to be promiscuous to catch HPV which causes cervical cancer. It is quite easy to catch and only takes one exposure from one partner.
#14 of 17 Old 07-31-2007, 03:17 PM

You all are missing the most important part of the statement.

Women don't get cancer because MEN are cut?

Doesn't everybody hate that? Women get cancer, so MEN must be circumcised! Women get AIDS, so MEN must be circumcised! Argh!
#15 of 17 Old 07-31-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacarla View Post
I don't believe for one minute that there is a genetic reason Jewish women have lower rates of cervical cancer.

Cervical cancer is most often a result of unsafe sex with other behavioral factors sometimes involved.

People who are Jewish, while not all are observant, many are or have been at some times in their lives religeous.

Religeous people in general have less sex outside of marriage and/or fewer partners. Thus less chances to be exposed to the HPV virus that causes cervical cancer.

I hypothesize that if you compared Observant Jews to observant Catholics you would see (regardless of foreskin status) no difference in rates of cervical cancer.

This is just a belief I hold - I have not done a research paper on it so don't ask me for links - though I am sure some could be found with enough diligence.

I've seen a study that showed it was genetic (and only for jewish women from certain areas not everywhere.) I'll see if I can find it later, I don't have it handy.

#16 of 17 Old 07-31-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
I've seen a study that showed it was genetic (and only for jewish women from certain areas not everywhere.) I'll see if I can find it later, I don't have it handy.

That's the one I saw.

Strains of the HPV virus cause cervical cancer. 25% of Americans will get the HPV virus in their lifetime. A majority of American men are circ'ed. So are we catching HPV from the dirty foreigners and their manky intact willies?! : I think not. Nuns don't get cervical cancer because they don't have sex (usually) but as for the rest of us we can get it because we have sex with men. Doesn't matter if they're intact or not, they can spread it to us if they have been exposed. And the worst part about that - it does nothing to men!
#17 of 17 Old 08-01-2007, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacarla View Post

My dad just said that about North Africa being Muslim and South Africa not. It's all behavioural.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page