Discharge from penis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-08-2003, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 2.5 years old. Since yesterday he's been grabbing his diaper and complainung that his penis hurts. I thought maybe he was uncomfortable when he peed in his diaper as we are slowly toilet learning and he does not like a wet diaper.

This morning he woke up and told me it hurt again and I took his diaper off and asked if he wanted to go potty. He sat on the toilet but did not pee. He just kind of whimpered. He said he was done and I noticed a yellow/green discharge from his penis. His foreskin does not retract yet so it was just coming out of the front opening.

He has no other symptoms. He is not running a fever, urinating more frequently, etc. It does not seem like a UTI. Could it be? Any ideas? I hate going to the Dr not being prepared.

Thanks,
Vanessa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-08-2003, 11:35 AM

I faintly recall a thread that covered this exact topic.Do a search for it.It was not to long ago.You can buy UTI test strips at any store.I have some in my med kit for those just in case times when I don't want to rush off to the doctor and then be sent to a germy lab.
Sara
#3 of 4 Old 07-08-2003, 12:08 PM

That was my thread: "4yo problem"

This time, plain water baths and running around naked worked for us. We have done antibiotics in the past, and the doctors seemed to think it was a surface/skin infection of some kind. I was reluctant to do that again.

There were some other good ideas in that thread, so check there. It was only a couple of weeks ago.

Cheri
#4 of 4 Old 07-09-2003, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips and info. I did take DS to the doc just to make sure he did not have any thing wrong with his bladder or kidneys. The ped was a new guy I'd never met and I was nervous because I didn't know what to expect from this guy. Well, he was great.

The first thing he asked when he walked in the room was,"Is your son circumsized?" I thought Oh great here it comes! I told him no and he just nodded. He said that at his age it is not uncommon to have an irritated penis because little boys play so much down there. He said it's more common with intact boys because "stuff" can get under there and irritate the area. (Not sure what I think about that but it does make sense)

Anyway, he stressed the importance of never retracting the foreskin, which I told him I don't. His recommendation was sitz baths with 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda and some neosporin until the redness goes away. Said if it ever happened again to just repeat the same treatment.

I'm so glad the doctors I see are intact friendly!

My dad on the other hand said, "see you should've had him circ'd." I replied by saying," Yeah, and the next time he gets an ear infection we're gonna have part of his ear amputated!"

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page