red swollen foreskin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-06-2007, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds (4 yrs and not retractable) has a very red, swollen foreskin. He told me once yesterday that his penis hurt but it looked fine. Today more complaining and it looks like it hurts. It is swollen more on one side than the other.

This happened twice before. The first time we took him to the ped and he was put on antibiotics without a culture but the "infection" cleared up before the antibiotics even had a chance to take effect. The second time we waited 2 days and it cleared up on its own.

My question is how long can I wait before taking him to the ped? What should I be looking for to determine if this is an infection that needs medical attention?

Most importantly, what comfort measures can we take?

I wish I had more people irl who have a clue about foreskins to turn to when I have a question.
#2 of 10 Old 08-06-2007, 07:44 PM

I would not take him to the doctor unless there was pain with urination, trouble urinating or a discharge that was off color like green (instead of white/clearish that would be smegma).

He could be experiencig separation trauma, which is just a normal part of growing up for boys. The foreskin separates unevenly sometimes, which is why the discomfort can be only on one side.

I would do a routine of warm baths (no bubbles!)- maybe sitz baths tho- and some underwear/diaper free time.

And some yogurt and cranberry juice wouldn't hurt (in case it is a developing yeast or UTI problem)

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#3 of 10 Old 08-06-2007, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you carriebft!

Ds has no pain/trouble urinating and no discharge. The first time this happened there was a milky discharge then the swelling went down. Would that be smegma? The second time I didn't notice any discharge.

I had him soak in a warm bath tonight. No bubbles or soap.

My gut feeling is that this is separation trauma. He has certainly been enjoying his boy bits a lot lately so that would make sense. It is good to have an idea what is going on. I am sure he would be on antibiotics again if I took him to the ped.

I will certainly keep an eye on it and up the yogurt and cranberry juice just in case.

Thanks again!
#4 of 10 Old 08-06-2007, 11:08 PM

I agree with pp. if it clears up really fast like you described then it is probably seperation trauma. If it goes on longer than 48 hours or gets really bad then I would take him in.

With my ds it was very obvious within 12 hours that he needed something to help clear up a bacterial infection.

Milky discharge is usually smegma. If it is green or has a really foul smell it is infection.

I hope your little guy is better soon.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 10 Old 08-06-2007, 11:16 PM

I've posted this before a few times, but see if this sounds familiar...

My 4 year old went through something that sounds much like this just a couple of months ago.

Turned out to be separation starting. There was a large lump under his foreskin on one side -- enough to look pretty scary -- and he cried a little that it hurt. When he'd urinate, it would swell even further and he said it stung.

I plunked him in a warm bath and he quickly forgot about it although it was still swollen. A couple of hours after the bath, I noticed a very odd odor coming from him, and sure enough, there was a pretty sizeable amount of tan-colored stuff in his underwear.

Turns out that this is classic separation trauma. As the foreskin separates from the glans, it doesn't always do so evenly, and this forms little pockets where smegma (normal sloughed skin cells) can form into little balls -- sometimes called "pearls" -- that are between the glans and the foreskin. When he urinated, the urine collected there, too, and then when the urine drained out, it washed the smegma with it.

This went on for a couple of days, then it cleared up completely. His foreskin still balloons when he urinates, sometimes, but he hasn't had another "pearl" or swelling.

If this sounds like what your son is experiencing, I'd just suggest lots of time in a warm bath and lots of hugs. I told my son that it was just like getting his grown-up teeth. Sometimes there's some discomfort involved, but it's just all part of the growing up process.

Hope some of that helps!

--Olive
#6 of 10 Old 08-09-2007, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

I did end up taking ds to the ped's because he began complaining about pain when he urinated. He gave a urine sample and the dr looked him over and said it was separation trauma. It has been a couple of days and ds still complains of pain after urinating. I can't get him to pinpoint where it hurts. There is no redness, swelling or discharge. Any suggestions?
#7 of 10 Old 08-10-2007, 12:00 AM

Well one thing if he can pull back a little, just enough so that the urine dosnt go up under there, on his foreskin while urinating that will help keep the urine off the ouchy spots.

Or you could let him pee in a cup or container of water so that the pee is immediatly diluted so it wont burn. Just have him stick his whole penis in and pee that way. I am thinking you can put alovera on there but not 100% sure of that one.

I hope someone else comes by with some soothing stuff that is ok to use. I hope he is feeling better soon.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#8 of 10 Old 08-12-2007, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much everyone! Ds is now 100%. He loved peeing into a cup of warm water. Didn't think I would ever get him to pee in the toilet again.

This forum has been such a wonderful resource for me! Thanks again.
#9 of 10 Old 08-13-2007, 11:40 AM

Hooray! Glad everything is better and thanks for letting us know.
#10 of 10 Old 08-13-2007, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the update. So glad your ds feels better.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page