Informal survey - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2007, 02:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingMyBest View Post
I have read that BCBS covers the procedure. [...] Each group can vary I guess...
I think each regional BCBS group has its own policy. I currently have Blue Shield of CA and newborn circ is covered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2007, 02:56 AM

1. Did anyone come ask if you wanted to circ after you'd said "NO" in the birth plan or other paperwork? Did anyone try to coerce you to change your mind?

yes I was asked about 20 times during the 2 days I stayed. I said hell no each time

2. Did the doctor/nurse who brought the consent form explain the procedure?

no one explaned the actual procedure

3. Did he or she explain risks vs. benefits (and if so, was it accurate)?

When I asked the risks/benefits (just to see what she would say...)during the prenatel visit the DR. said it was cosmetic but I should have baby look like his daddy:

4. Is circ covered by your insurance?

I am pretty sure it is, its Cigna.

5. What state do you live in, and in what year was your experience?

Fullerton, California. St Judes Catholic hospital. 2005
Old 08-23-2007, 12:14 PM

Unfortunately, my son was circumcised Our circ story is in the sticky thread about regret up above, but I would still like to answer these questions.

1. Did anyone come ask if you wanted to circ after you'd said "NO" in the birth plan or other paperwork? Did anyone try to coerce you to change your mind?
As an extremely naive and immature teenager, I had no idea what circ even was at that time, therefore, I had no "plan". I don't recall being asked about circ at all. It was simply never discussed during my pregnancy.

Not that I can remember. As I said above, I don't even remember being asked about it. I don't remember consenting and I don't remember signing anything.

No clue!

Yes, it was. I had Medicaid at the time. I could be wrong, but I've since heard that Medicaid in TN no longer covers circumcision.

It was a dinky town in Tennessee in 1993.

I truly didn't know or at least remember anything about the whole circ deal until he was brought to me sometime on the 2nd day with a bloody looking penis. I was under general anesthesia when he was born around noon (occiput posterior presentation - 27 hrs of hard labor, 2 hrs of hard pushing, he was stuck) and was pretty out of it for the rest of the day. I very vaguely remember trying to breastfeed him. That night, I had a high fever and was really sick due to a uterine infection and stayed that way for a few days following his birth.. the 2nd and 3rd day being the worst. My mom pretty much took over everything.. If anything was explained about the circ, it was very likely explained to her. I was probably just told, "sign here". I really wish I could remember how things happened and I really wish I had asked more questions after it was all said and done.. besides, "what happened to him?" and "why did they do that?".. and settling for "oh, he was just circumcised" and "because all boys have to" as answers. Damn me for being an idiot :

Wife and mother to 2 kiddos - 17 yr old DS jammin.gifand 13 yr old DD energy.gif.. and a cat that thinks he's a dog dizzy.gif
Old 08-23-2007, 04:30 PM

I think my experience was interesting. I live in a HIGH circ area & they were almost um. . . cautious about making sure they were OK with my choice to leave ds intact. I don't know if cautious is the right word - but you can read my response to ?#1 below & let me know what you think.

At the initial check in she asked 100 questions. Most without comment afterwards. After asking me if we were going to circ - I said no. She said - well, don't worry no one will do it. You have to sign a consent form before anyone would do it. And you won't be getting that form because I am checking no.

Then immediately after l&d - the ob (not my regular ob - but another in his practice) said - I havent checked your paperwork yet - so I am not sure - are you planning on circ? I said empathically Absolutely Not! Then he & a nurse laughed about how I said it (laughed in a positive manner & made) a joke about how they could even ask that right after giving birth or something like that. I don't remember *exactly* since I HAD just gone through l&d - but I was pleased.

Then on check out day - the nurse came in & went over procedures with me. Then she was very clear in letting me know that she just wanted to double check so they didn;t miss anything - but I had said no to circ -was that correct?. I said it was correct & she said - no problem at all - she just needs to double check so nothing gets missed but it looked like everything was in order.

See what I mean about being almost cautious or careful? . . . maybe not - maybe I was just prepared for the worst after reading some horror stories here & knowing its a pro-circ area.

Not applicable.

Not applicable.

I believe so. I don't know for sure since its n/a but we have pretty inclusive insurance AND I remember a thread on here about my insurance company having some very PRO-circ language.

INDIANA & JULY 2007!
Old 08-23-2007, 08:02 PM

You know what I'd like to hear?

A story where someone said they DID want to circumcise and everyone from the OB to the nurse to the janitor questioned them a million times about if that was what they REALLY wanted to do, were they SURE, did they KNOW the consequences of circumcising?

Seriously. That'd be a great day.

Mama to DD : (7/23/03) & DS : (10/27/06) married to DH 7/20/01
and yet 90% more mainstream than the rest of MDC
Old 08-23-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2caroline View Post
I just want to find out, from those of you who have given birth to boys in a hospital...

I am curious as to how much lack of info is given in the hospitals... trying to wrap my mind around why so many parents do it blindly. I have a feeling that it is due to a lot of them getting no info in the hospital, from it being assumed that they will circ their sons, and that, combined with the cultural attitude, makes many people never even think to question it.

I know people who think docs are all infallible, and that they would never fail to give important info...
1. My son is circ'ed unfortunately. They asked after he was born, not sure what day.
2. No, nothing was explained, I was just told where to sign.
3. Nope, I don't ever even remember seeing the Dr. I just remember the nurse having me sign the paper and took him the next morning.
4. No, didn't even know that until we got the $250 bill in the mail. I didn't know anything back then, so along with thinking circ'ing was needed, I also thought of course it would be covered by insurance.
5. NY 2004

Me Hubby
Colin 1/13/04 Elena 1/18/07
Old 08-23-2007, 09:03 PM

[QUOTE=mommy2caroline;8941677]I just want to find out, from those of you who have given birth to boys in a hospital...

1. Did anyone come ask if you wanted to circ after you'd said "NO" in the birth plan or other paperwork? Did anyone try to coerce you to change your mind? NO
2. Did the doctor/nurse who brought the consent form explain the procedure? N/A
3. Did he or she explain risks vs. benefits (and if so, was it accurate)? Other than saying it's not necessary medically, NO
4. Is circ covered by your insurance? Now, YES (Blue Cross CA), at one time NO (Aetna I think in the 90's)
CA (central coast), but we had our 1st (boy) in Sonoma county (Petaluma) in 1991, 2nd (boy) in Santa Rosa 1994, 3rd (girl) in 1996 and 4th (boy) in 2002 in Santa Cruz at Sutter Maternity/Surgery Center
Old 08-23-2007, 09:12 PM

Well I didn't have a birth plan. I think a nurse asked if I wanted him circ'd and I said no.
Never saw a consent form as I didn't have him circ'd
See above
I don't believe so...its Healthchoice and its considered an optional service.
Florida- 2006
I think we may have been asked more than once about the circ by different doctors who saw him while he was in the hospital...but not in a "why aren't you circ'ing" way but in a "doctors who ask the same question over and over because they don't read the chart" way. I never felt pressured to circ at all. My pediatrician has never pressured/ commented on him being intact as well.

Social Worker Mom to a fantastic four year old nocirc.gif
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut
Never put a period where God has put a comma!
Old 08-24-2007, 12:29 PM

1. Did anyone come ask if you wanted to circ after you'd said "NO" in the birth plan or other paperwork? Did anyone try to coerce you to change your mind? We actually went to l&d 4 times before the baby was born due to some minor complications. I was asked 2 of those 4 times and then before I had my son. No one ever tried to change my mind.

2. Did the doctor/nurse who brought the consent form explain the procedure? I was given a pamphlet before I had my son about circumcisions and it was pretty unbiased.

3. Did he or she explain risks vs. benefits (and if so, was it accurate)? just the pamphlet

4. Is circ covered by your insurance?yes until 6wks. My best friend works for my insurance company and he has been trying for years to get them to stop RIC. He told them in a board meeting that if they wanted to save millions of dollars, then stop them.

5. What state do you live in, and in what year was your experience? Virginia 2006. But i will say that if i lived in other areas of VA, i'm sure the experience would have been very different.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:30 PM

My son was 8 weeks premature and born by emergency c-section. I had no birth plan and since he was immediately sent to NICU it wasn't mentioned at all for the first few weeks after he was born.

My twins had a discharge list of things that needed to be done before they could go home from NICU. My dd got the sheet first since it looked like she was going to beat her brother home. Of course they put N/A on her hers and I asked them to please put NO on ds's which they did. I didn't hear anything about it again until the day he went home. His nurse said he was all ready to go unless we'd changed our mind about circ which we hadn't. Never pressured at all and I know it was a high circ rate area.

Never saw a consent form

N/A

Yes

Ohio- 2004 (at least at the hospital I was at Peds did the circs, not the OBs so I never even heard the mention of circ at all during prenatals, probably because the OBs don't even do them)

Where I live now the OBs do them. We just found out the baby is for sure a boy so I wonder if they will ask about it at some point before the birth.

mama to six ('98, '00, '04, '04, '06, '08)

User Tag List