Why do people circumcise preemies? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 08-28-2007, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unfortunately they do circ preemies. The only time I havent' seen it done is when the boy´s penis is really small or hypospadias. Unfortunately it seems to be almost comforting to some parents...their babies are well enough to be circd...like a healthy term baby :

And the sad thing is the typical NICU infant has already been exposed to more painful things than the typical healthy term baby...so their response to pain is often different. They are often the babies that ¨just sleep right through it¨. They fall asleep bacause that is how they respond to pain...they are often still too weak to just scream and thrash the whole time.
#32 of 44 Old 08-29-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik8144 View Post
I work in the NICU and I hate to see the babies we have worked our butts off for have to go into more pain before they go home. I HATE looking at the prelim consent page and seeing that they do want to circ even though they had a 24-25-whatever week baby.
I have a question for you. Would you dare tell any of these parents that it doesn't need to be done? It seems obvious to me now but didn't when I had my sons circumcised. I consider myself well educated. I did the "research", which was asking my husband, dad and pediatrician. I was worried about it. I made sure anesthesia was going to be used. If ANYONE had given me an inkling that it wasn't necessary, I wouldn't have done it. My second son was in the NICU. I watched. I heard him scream. I walked out. I will FOREVER regret that moment in my life. That is when I knew. If the beloved nurse had said anything prior, I wouldn't have done it.
#33 of 44 Old 08-30-2007, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molarmama View Post
I have a question for you. Would you dare tell any of these parents that it doesn't need to be done? It seems obvious to me now but didn't when I had my sons circumcised. I consider myself well educated. I did the "research", which was asking my husband, dad and pediatrician. I was worried about it. I made sure anesthesia was going to be used. If ANYONE had given me an inkling that it wasn't necessary, I wouldn't have done it. My second son was in the NICU. I watched. I heard him scream. I walked out. I will FOREVER regret that moment in my life. That is when I knew. If the beloved nurse had said anything prior, I wouldn't have done it.
Well I´m not the OP but as a nurse...I also obtain consents from parents, including circ consents. Whenever a new baby is admitted we usually try to get all the consents signed as soon as possible. Some nurses will get the circ consent signed as well. I never even go over that until the baby is more stable. Itś not going to be done immediately anyway. I find that many times the parents are very overwhelmed and don´t always pay attention to what they are signing.

If a baby is close to going home I ask if they plan on having the baby circed. I tell them this is usually done on the day of discharge and that they will be the ones taking care of it when the baby goes home...not us. Many assume that it will be done in the hospital and healed by the time the babe goes home...and wish it were. I also tell them it isn´t something they must do...plently of people elect not to. At this point most people have their mind made up and I´m not going to change it.

Unlike many of my collegues I try not to automatically assume that the parents want a circ. So many people just throw that consent in there with the rest of them if the baby is a boy. Itś just assumed it will be done. I always present it as an elective surgery. Itś not necessary. And I refer to it as a surgical procedure. Because of my job, I can´t ¨preach¨ to parents if thatś what they choose, but I always present it as an option that isn´t something that NEEDS to be done. And if they ask if it will hurt...I am always truthful. I just tell them in a matter of factly kind of way. Some babies scream...some will fall asleep. Babies respond to pain in different ways. I tell them the what is used for pain and give a step by step of how the circ is done. And if they still chose to do it and want to know how thier baby reacted...I tell them. If the baby cried I tell them...I don´t just tell them ¨Oh he slept right thorough it..." if he screamed through the whole thing. I don´t go on and on about it...but I don´t lie. Many times they seem to be looking for reassurance that the baby didn´t suffer in anyway.

I´m not gory about it, accusatory, or dramatic...just honest. If this makes the parents feel bad...well...oh well. Maybe if they understand they will make a different choice with the next child...or maybe they wont. But I refuse to sugar coat it.
#34 of 44 Old 08-30-2007, 09:30 AM

I guess what I'm saying is, I wish someone clearly told me that there was NO medical reason for it. I assumed that because "everyone" did it and it was done by a doctor that it was necessary. I had a friend that thought the same thing. I think if moms knew what was actually being done, how much it hurt and how unnecessary it was, they wouldn't do it. What doesn't the medical community tell us this?
#35 of 44 Old 08-30-2007, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by molarmama View Post
What doesn't the medical community tell us this?
Lots of reasons. Money, for one. They make money from the surgery, money from selling the foreskins, money from treating the complications and re-circumcising later. Another is that they don’t want to admit that they made a HUGE mistake. People would be furious if the AAP came out and admitted all the harm that is caused by circumcision and doctors would get sued because of a lack of informed consent. A third reason is that many many doctors, not to mention probably everyone on the AAP’s Circumcision Task Force is circumcised. The same reason dads push for their sons to be circumcised is why these docs push for other boys to be circumcised. They don’t want to admit that their penis is not the absolute perfect way a penis should be. I think for women docs it’s mainly the problem of not wanting to admit that they were wrong.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#36 of 44 Old 08-30-2007, 11:00 AM

My sons are preemies fighting for their lives right now and dh had wanted to get them circ'd however I was against it. After seeing how much the boys have gone through already and they are just 5 weeks old he finally gave in. Since we have heard of many parents wanting to circ their preemie. It breaks my heart. Only a few have really cried bloody murder but preemies are so resilent and have a higher pain tolerance. Still I would not put any son of mine through that much less a micropreemie or even a preemie
#37 of 44 Old 08-30-2007, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, Aimes, I'm sorry your boys are going through so much right now. You must be so exhausted and worried. I hope you are getting the support you need from your family and community.
Do you really think preemies have a higher pain tolerance, or do you think they've just become resigned to the pain, or maybe aren't strong enough to protest as vigorously as full-term babies? I don't know, I'm just wondering.
I'm glad your husband has come around. Keep protecting those babies!
#38 of 44 Old 08-30-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
A woman came into the store where I work to buy a sling the other week, and told me she had preemie twins and the boy was almost ready to come home. I was so excited for her. Then she said he had been set to come home but he ended up having to stay 4 days longer was because he had just been circ'd and he crashed and needed to be stabilized. So not only did he lose a vital and functioning part of his body for no good reason, but he had to be separated from his parents for more than half a week more. : : WHY?!
OMG... how did you keep from saying anything? what willpower.

I might have hit her :

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#39 of 44 Old 08-30-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimes View Post
My sons are preemies fighting for their lives right now and dh had wanted to get them circ'd however I was against it. After seeing how much the boys have gone through already and they are just 5 weeks old he finally gave in. Since we have heard of many parents wanting to circ their preemie. It breaks my heart. Only a few have really cried bloody murder but preemies are so resilent and have a higher pain tolerance. Still I would not put any son of mine through that much less a micropreemie or even a preemie
((( hugs )))

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#40 of 44 Old 08-31-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimes View Post
Only a few have really cried bloody murder but preemies are so resilent and have a higher pain tolerance. Still I would not put any son of mine through that much less a micropreemie or even a preemie

The NICU my twins were in did the circumcisions right in the NICU. I overheard 3 from the next room and I was in the room for one and all of the babies cried bloody murder for it. I have to wonder how hard a full term baby would scream for one. The little guy that I was in the room for weighed right around 5 pounds. He'd been in our room for over a week and I had never ever heard him make any noise at all. He cried for a good hour for the circ and then whimpered off and on for the next few hours. His parents came and took him home then. (he got lidocaine probably 15 minutes before the circ so he was actually "lucky" getting that when so many babies don't get anything)

We had never planned to circ but I think my son was the only boy I saw go home without having one done. I never heard any of the NICU staff discouraging it at all so parents that had planned to do it aren't going to know that there is anything wrong with it. My NICU handbook just said circs wouldn't be performed until the baby was at least 4 pounds and in stable condition. It was the Neos that performed them so I suppose they had an interest in them continuing because they would make extra money for it.

mama to six ('98, '00, '04, '04, '06, '08)
#41 of 44 Old 08-31-2007, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by susienjay View Post
My NICU handbook just said circs wouldn't be performed until the baby was at least 4 pounds and in stable condition.
Geez. : Not that any baby should be circumscized, but 4 pounds is just so LITTLE!

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#42 of 44 Old 09-05-2007, 12:50 AM

Happened once while I was there. AWFUL to hear.

I over heard a ped (not a staff doctor) discussing this with a mother. I totally broke the code of silence and said to my DD I was rocking rather loudly. I'll never circumcise you, and I won't circ any of your brothers either. I think that circ is abuse disgusting and should be banned. They were silent for a second then the mom went OK, whatever. The boy was circed.
#43 of 44 Old 09-05-2007, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
: : I just can't believe what I'm reading, preemi's circumsized?!! I HATE the fact that every single day poor babies are being cut.. something has GOT to give. Preemi's, I just can't believe that the parent's would put their baby through something so cruel. Most of the time they go home before their EDD, they are not done developing, and it's legal to cut them anywayz:

I believe that there is not enough education out there, mothers, incluing myself at one time, trust doctor..and think they have the best intentions. There should be a class or something that every pregnant woman has to take, that explains what goes on right after the baby is born. If you are doped up after delivery, you are not in the right state of mind..it is not the time to be making decisions, about vax's, cutting off body parts.. ETC. I can print out some circ facts and leave them places, but I don't know what can be done. It's very upsetting, and I'm now rambling and problably making no sense because I'm pissed and very sad

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#44 of 44 Old 09-05-2007, 03:06 AM

I was about 2 months premature, and my parents still did it. My mom and dad actually both attended the circ, but midway through my mom couldn't take it anymore and walked out. Despite this, both my younger brothers were also circumcised. But my dad is still intact.

This thread makes me want to ask them more questions about it... and

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page