UPDATE - I am devastated - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 09-08-2007, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's sad how some people don't even think of questioning doctors. If a medical professional suggested I have a body part cut off, I'd certainly get a second and even third opinion. I'm surprised that she would make a snap decision like that, especially since she had already decided she did NOT want to circ her babe...

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 49 Old 09-08-2007, 12:39 PM

Cir-CON-cision.

It's suppose to be tightly sealed.
#33 of 49 Old 09-09-2007, 04:33 AM
Fi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
To take it even further, she should see if John Geisheker will help her write the hospital administration, the partners in practice with this doctor, assuming she's in a practice, and the state medical board. She should also talk to him about the possibility of bringing a lawsuit on her son's behalf.

The doctor flat-out lied to her. There's simply no excuse. The doctor is totally unfamiliar with -- or totally ignored -- the medical literature and the freakin' AAP's own statements.

I think my head would explode, too, if I were in your shoes. :
I second this wholeheartedly.

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
#34 of 49 Old 09-09-2007, 10:13 AM

Why isn't the anti-circ doctor taking steps to stop the pro-circ one?
#35 of 49 Old 09-09-2007, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

The entire situation is a huge mess. My friend is refusing to take any action against the doctor. Her exact words are “what is done is done”. Despite my plea that she could possibly save future babies.
My anti-circ doctor friend does everything she can to educate the parents but she is only an OB/GYN and sees the baby at birth and at discharge. The patients then choose a pediatrician for a one week check up and if they happen to choose the pro-circ doctor she is able to convince most of them to circ at her office during this checkup.
Also, this doctor has a private practice and she performs all the circumcisions in her office. So contacting the hospital wouldn’t really have an effect on her practice. Without my friend’s willingness to pursue a legal letter … I am afraid the only thing I will be able to do is write her a personal letter trying to educate her. However, I really feel that this will be a waste considering this woman has already been educated about anti-circ by persons with higher degrees than I.
Does anyone think I could pursue any legal action without my friend?
BTW – I am in nursing school and ALL the A&P books show pictures of a mutilated penis. The only thing my nursing books say about circ is that the AAP has often changed its statement on it and there are a few good reasons to do it (UTIs, etc.). It’s pretty disgusting.
#36 of 49 Old 09-09-2007, 01:27 PM

You know, the least your friend could do is file a complaint with the medical board. It would probably be easier to get something done about this Dr if people that had been victims were in contact and worked together. But I'm not sure how they would find each other.
#37 of 49 Old 09-09-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progressive_Mom View Post
I called an anti-circ doctor friend this morning who works at the same hospital and found out that this doctor is very PRO-CIRC and is in it for the quick $ that AR Medicaid will pay her. I told my friend this and she has been sick all day. Apparently she uses the same scare tactic on every new mom who puts NO CIRC on the birthing plan.

I really wish I had the power to remove this DRs licencse.

:
Okay, I might not know anything here seriously...but can't she be reported by "anyone"? I know that all of us here are "second hand" informed...but can't you call...and give your account of the situation? Maybe even someone could call this doctor and let her know the "gig is up" and that she is headed for trouble if she doesn't change her ways. One parent that is pissed off enough..which your friend is...(she just probably doesn't want to face the pain of it all yet...once you know...you KNOW....you can only ignore it so long...) this doctor will get her tookas sued off...and QUICK.

I just think if your friend isn't going to file claims etc...maybe someone else should atleast list formal complaint. With both the administrations...and also with the practice owner if it's not her. Anyone owning a business will get angry with negative attention of any kind. KWIM? Also, if her scare tactics are working on innocent babies through fearful mothers...then scare tactics are not too good for her either. It pisses me off even more that she is a woman...a potential mother...and she is propagating this shit. Moreover...she KNOWS the facts. I want to slap her.

UGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGGHGHGHGHGHGHGHHGHGHG.
#38 of 49 Old 09-10-2007, 02:44 AM

Progressive Mom...
Although she did this in a private practice, any negligence in any form should certainly be reported to any hospital or facility where the doctor has privileges or is affiliated with.

I am also VERY angry after hearing how this impressionable young mama was coerced into allowing something so damaging for her son, and so profitable for the doc, to be done.

Although, we also have to remember that given the medical education most "medical professionals" are trained with, it is VERY possible that this doc truly believes a non-retractable foreskin is an ailment and immediate cause for consideration of circ is proper course of action: . (I would like to imagine this doctor isn't just financially motivated to advocate circ....although this probably is the case...)

I'll publicly admit that immediately following my son's situation, I wanted to just let it all be and forget about it...but I got angry and took action.
It sounds like the mama doesn't want to confront reality that she was duped... this mama needs to know that she needs to do right by her son and hold those responsible, accountable!

John Geisheker, general counsel for DOC, as someone has already suggested, would be a great place to start...
#39 of 49 Old 09-10-2007, 02:53 AM

Dave2GA may still be willing to send a letter to this dr it is horrible to let this go. How many little boys is she going to hurt before someone does something to stop her :

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#40 of 49 Old 09-10-2007, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow. You'd think in a malpractice-happy country like the U.S., she'd _want_ to sue. Lack of informed information. Even if it's just to prove a point, I'd be taking this to judge Marilyn Milian and "The People's Court"! (should the plantiff not prove her case).

Question, though: WHY did your friend not research this before accepting ONE doctor's word as golden?

Did she do _any_ research at all? It seems like YOU did all the educating-- which was compasisonate and wise of you-- but it rather burns me up when parents don't do all the research on a vital issue like this, before AND after!
#41 of 49 Old 09-10-2007, 04:06 PM

I can understand why your freind is too upset to pursue this. Maybe she will be up to doing something when she has gotten through the worst of the post-partum hormone shifts and exhaustion.

In the mean time the only thing I can think of that might be effective for you to do would be report her for insurance/medicaid fraud. If she is writting up phimosis diagnosises to get paid she is lying in her diagnosis. If she is simply writting down that the parents requested it she is again lying b/c she told the parents there was phimosis. However she is doing it she lies to get money and that is fraud.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#42 of 49 Old 09-10-2007, 04:35 PM

Absolutely terrible and so angering. Something should be done. If you can find the correct contact for medicaid fraud, I would pursue that. Like someone else said, probably anyone can report and alert them to this doctor.
#43 of 49 Old 09-10-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingMyBest View Post
Okay, I might not know anything here seriously...but can't she be reported by "anyone"? I know that all of us here are "second hand" informed...but can't you call...and give your account of the situation? Maybe even someone could call this doctor and let her know the "gig is up" and that she is headed for trouble if she doesn't change her ways. One parent that is pissed off enough..which your friend is...(she just probably doesn't want to face the pain of it all yet...once you know...you KNOW....you can only ignore it so long...) this doctor will get her tookas sued off...and QUICK.
I just think if your friend isn't going to file claims etc...maybe someone else should atleast list formal complaint. With both the administrations...and also with the practice owner if it's not her. Anyone owning a business will get angry with negative attention of any kind. KWIM? Also, if her scare tactics are working on innocent babies through fearful mothers...then scare tactics are not too good for her either. It pisses me off even more that she is a woman...a potential mother...and she is propagating this shit. Moreover...she KNOWS the facts. I want to slap her.

UGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGGHGHGHGHGHGHGHHGHGHG.
What is sad is those who circ usually don't see anything wrong with it and take the docs word for God so this will continue for all to long. It is a sick and sad cycle.:

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
#44 of 49 Old 09-10-2007, 10:07 PM

This is only a small tidbit. I'm hoping it will give you some leads.

My Ped. once advised me to report my ds1 circumciser to the medical boards. This was after his work hrs and I was on the phone with him for nearly an hr. 3 yrs ago too. At the time I thought medical boards meant AAP. Thats what I did. Wrote to the AAP. Dont' know how thats going to help. But if you could find out who the actual medical board is... Report that Dr. to them.
#45 of 49 Old 09-10-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
But if you could find out who the actual medical board is... Report that Dr. to them.
Isn't there some kind of state licensing board.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#46 of 49 Old 09-11-2007, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
Isn't there some kind of state licensing board.
Why didn't I think of that! Thank-you!!!

I went on a search and found DISCIPLINARY PROCESS REVIEW COMMITTEE

There are 9 people on that board so I'll write to each of them reporting the pediatrician. I know its so long after the fact but if there is something I can do I shouldn't wait any longer. KWIM?

I'm confused on which address to contact them at. It says to address to the correct department code. Should it go to Investigations department? I'm guessing it would.

Once I'm on the right track, I plan to pursue litigation (trying this AGAIN: ) SOON, I'll thread for support. Not sure if thats safe or not. Please PM me if its not so wise to do that. Thanks again eepster!!!

Back to regular programming
#47 of 49 Old 09-12-2007, 11:26 AM

The doctor like many who circumcise, is a very angry person. Of course, she may not be very conscious of it.

Quote:
My best friend called me tonight and said “You’re going to hate me but I had him circumcised”.
Your friend is playing games with you. She is not some pathetic weakling who does whatever the doctor says. She knows the result is permanent.

She resented you educating her and this is her revenge.
#48 of 49 Old 09-13-2007, 03:24 PM

Don't be upset with her. She trusted the doctor (which is really something you SHOULD be able to do, but unfortunately not the case).

The doctor used sales tactics and basically pressure-sales'ed her into doing it. That doctor put the fear into your friend good.

I'd say to your friend "I'm really sorry you were railroaded into this; and I wish I could have been at your appointment to support you with my knowledge. I'm sorry I failed you that way."

Truth is, you didn't fail her. Kudos to you for taking the time to educate her; and I'm very sure your words were one's in her head; but she had a convincing doctor who made her believe (based on this "problem") that she'd be a bad mom if she didn't do this; because she'd be causing her son pain until he'd finally be circ'd anyways.

That's how I ended up circ'ing my DS. Trust me when I tell you that she'll feel horrible when she learns she was misled by her doctor.

: Poor baby. This kind of stuff has GOT to STOP!! It's insanity!

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#49 of 49 Old 09-13-2007, 06:13 PM

I'm so sorry. That is so sad. Do you know her dr? Maybe you can send some info to him about the care of an uncirc'd penis because clearly he has no idea. My sis had her son circ'd after I educated her and begged her not to, I know how you feel.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page