UPDATE - I am devastated - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2007, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am absolutely devastated. I use this word for a lack of words that can truly express how I feel. My best friend called me tonight and said “You’re going to hate me but I had him circumcised”. After months of emotionally investing countless time and energy into educating her and then in her 6 month hearing the sweet words “my baby will stay intact”, I never saw this coming. I am currently experiencing the 5 stages of grieving.

She took the baby to his one week check up today where the doctor told her that his foreskin was tight (even though he was having no problems urinating) and that if she didn’t circumcise him now that she would have to do it when he was older … blah, blah, blah.
Here she is a brand new mom, only wanting the best for her baby. Her fault was that she cannot think for herself and the doctor was very persuasive giving graphic details about the 2 year old she had to circ b/c the dad wouldn’t circ him at birth.

I am so angry right now that I can honestly say that I hate this doctor.

A few questions just keep rolling through my head:
Why am I this upset?
How can I educate the doctor?
Will we ever truly have the relationship we had before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2007, 02:10 AM

:

The ignorance of some doctors out there is appalling. It sounds like the doctor almost took advantage of the mommy's vulnerability as a new mom recovering from delivery and trying to do what she thinks is best for her son. The "tight foreskin" business is ridiculous, but perhaps in the haze of the pediatrician's graphic talk, the mommy just wasn't seeing it, in spite of everything you did to inform her. I'm so sorry. The situation makes me angry, too, and I don't even know this mommy.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:36 AM

How frustrating. I didn't even know that was something that docs check at 1 week, the tightness of foreskin. WTH. I am sorry mama.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:40 AM

I am so sorry. That doctor is a UA violation. It makes me so sick and angry.:

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:58 AM

Did you by any chance tell her the dr was ignorent? I am so sorry for that baby.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 09-07-2007, 12:20 PM

wow. that is just terrible. money hungry doctors taking advantage of vulnerable new moms. disgusting.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
Old 09-07-2007, 12:30 PM

I am so sad to hear this. It frustrates me to no end that to hear about this. the foreskin of a baby is supposed to be attached and not retractable from the glans, in order to protect it. This is not an abnormal condition but normal and healthy. It is likely the case here that this baby had absolutely nothing wrong with him and this was totally unnecessary. As long as he is urinating fine, there is really nothing to be concerned about. This is an example of the poor information that many doctors have, where they are unaware of the proper state and care of the normal human anatomy.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:42 PM

this is the 5th time i've heard about "tight" foreskin in a BABY.
It takes all i have not to SCREAM and say

"ITS F***ING SUPPOSED TO BE THAT WAY YOU MORONS!"

that poor sweet baby

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
Old 09-07-2007, 12:44 PM

poor sweet baby

Live ,Laugh,Love Mama to DD13,ds11,dd6 ,dd2 and ds 2 familybed2.gifnursex2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 09-07-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenab00 View Post

that poor sweet baby
Yeah we've had a LOT of posts lately about the doctor "diagnosing" a tight foreskin on a baby. I mean, WTF you idiot doctors do you not know anatomy, what do they teach in Gross Anatomy class anyways??!!

Single mom of 2 boys
Old 09-07-2007, 01:03 PM

thank goodness my good friend didn't RIC b/c there is a reaaaallly good chance that I couldn't be as close with her as I am now. She even asked me before the babe was born if I would still be friends if she chose to circ and I said that I wasn't so sure....I had to be honest with my feelings, and she had been around my babes, new all the info, etc.

I feel like I helped save her babe's foreskin and for that I am truly thankful.

I have no idea about this "tight foreskin" business...maybe it's a popular talking point docs are using being pushed by the skin harvesting industry..who knows?
Old 09-07-2007, 01:55 PM

I would make sure you tell her w/info to back it up that the doctor is a lying piece of . I am livid after reading this. That poor precious baby.
Maybe when the mom realizes the truth she'll sue his sorry ass.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 09-07-2007, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

I called an anti-circ doctor friend this morning who works at the same hospital and found out that this doctor is very PRO-CIRC and is in it for the quick $ that AR Medicaid will pay her. I told my friend this and she has been sick all day. Apparently she uses the same scare tactic on every new mom who puts NO CIRC on the birthing plan.

I really wish I had the power to remove this DRs licencse.

:
Old 09-07-2007, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Any way to contact Medicaid in that state? No insurance company wants to pay for unnecessary operations. I have the impression (I can't remember where I go it) that insurance companies keep track of doctors who pull crap like that - and take action.

Perhaps your doctor friend could help you write a letter to Medicaid.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd_deadhead View Post
Any way to contact Medicaid in that state? No insurance company wants to pay for unnecessary operations. I have the impression (I can't remember where I go it) that insurance companies keep track of doctors who pull crap like that - and take action.

Perhaps your doctor friend could help you write a letter to Medicaid.
Yeah...isn't it medicaid fraud at the very least?

Laura...part-time OB nurse, and full-time mom to two sweet boysnocirc.gifintactlact.gif
Old 09-07-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progressive_Mom View Post
I called an anti-circ doctor friend this morning who works at the same hospital and found out that this doctor is very PRO-CIRC and is in it for the quick $ that AR Medicaid will pay her. I told my friend this and she has been sick all day. Apparently she uses the same scare tactic on every new mom who puts NO CIRC on the birthing plan.

:
That is absolutely terrible I can't believe what some Dr .s will do in the name of having a fatter wallet! Maybe since your friend is so upset, she can persue some sort of action against the Dr. for lying. I guess you could never prove it, though. Poor, poor baby
Old 09-07-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:

:
Oh my freaking gosh! I just want to puke and physically hurt that doctor! How dare she do this! It should be grounds to lose her license. I am shaking I'm so upset. :Puke

Mamma to 3! nurslings Emma (4) Daniel (3) and our new baby Beth! 10/10/09
Old 09-07-2007, 09:51 PM

Holy Crap malpractice for sure
Old 09-07-2007, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji'sMom View Post
what do they teach in Gross Anatomy class anyways??!!
It was just a few months ago that news went around about another new anatomy text book that depicted the penis as if humans were born mutilated.

-Ron
HIS body, HIS decision.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:36 PM

Maybe you could get DOC to write this "MD" a letter on behalf of the mother and baby, similar to what they write for cases of forced retraction, stating that it is normal for the foreskin to be tight in a baby, and has no bearing on the possible need for later circumcision, and that she is giving medically incorrect information and could be liable for fraud... or whatever they feel is appropriate.

COntact John Geisheker, the legal counsel for DOC at:[email protected] <[email protected]>

Health professionals who are this misinformed and stoop this low deserve as much feedback as the involved parties can muster. They cannot be allowed to get away with things like this.

Gillian
Old 09-07-2007, 10:51 PM

To take it even further, she should see if John Geisheker will help her write the hospital administration, the partners in practice with this doctor, assuming she's in a practice, and the state medical board. She should also talk to him about the possibility of bringing a lawsuit on her son's behalf.

The doctor flat-out lied to her. There's simply no excuse. The doctor is totally unfamiliar with -- or totally ignored -- the medical literature and the freakin' AAP's own statements.

I think my head would explode, too, if I were in your shoes. :

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 09-07-2007, 11:26 PM

I am so, so sorry. I know you feel sick and angry. The fact that it's a close friend must make the pill even more difficult to swallow.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:

:
that is repulsive.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
Old 09-08-2007, 12:35 AM

That doctor sounds like such a....grrrrr....UA violation. It makes me feel sick inside knowing that this "medical professional" is lying to vulnerable, new mothers who have decided not to circumcise their sons at a time in their lives when they should just be left to peacefully bond with their new babies. Just disgusting. :

I am so, so deeply sorry for your friend and her baby boy. That is just such a horrendous situation, I have no words. I hope that she will be able to pursue some kind of action to make more people aware of this doctor's deplorable medical practices.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:45 AM

You can also try www.arclaw.org.

Can they stop the doctor, or not? I don't know. But lawyer letters will certainly SCARE doctors and hospitals.

Get a copy of the medical records and circ consent form ... asap. It is possible that the doctor has "left something out" with regards to the paperwork. For example if she wrote down "normal penis" and then told the Mom she needed to circ because of a problem.

Also, did the doc use "proper" anesthesia? That could be one more angle for the lawyers to pursue.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenab00 View Post

that poor sweet baby
That's like taking a baby kitten to the vets and him saying, Those eyelids are awfully tight. Better remove them before it's too late! He might never see! :Puke

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
Old 09-08-2007, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji'sMom View Post
Yeah we've had a LOT of posts lately about the doctor "diagnosing" a tight foreskin on a baby. I mean, WTF you idiot doctors do you not know anatomy, what do they teach in Gross Anatomy class anyways??!!
This is what is so sad, my really good gur friend is in med school and the ONLY time forskin is mentioned is in RIC and all the things that go wrong if it stays put. I tried to send him info and links but he is so brainwashed already.

I would find out who that ped is and bombard is office with info, he obviously needs it.

That poor babe and mama. I am sure dad is just fine though:

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Low View Post
It was just a few months ago that news went around about another new anatomy text book that depicted the penis as if humans were born mutilated.
I saw my firends AP Nursing book on the table and looked up circ, it was two lines saying it is the normal removal of the foreskin done at birth. That was it, the two whole pages before were stating the purpose and and ALL the parts involved with the foreskin. : Must be KINDA important uh?
oh and all the pics of men or baby boys were cut:

Old 09-08-2007, 02:39 AM

Quote:

:
That sick ....UAV!!

I am sure the money she gets from the pharm company she sells it to on top of what she charged for the procedure has NOTHING to do with it:

Old 09-08-2007, 04:25 AM

Quote:

:
Is your friend angry enough to sue? I think she should pursue it. Make it so that the quick buckthis Dr has made off a vulnerable new mommy doesn't pay off in the long run.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos

User Tag List