This board saved my son's foreskin! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-11-2007, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I came here back in June, seeking help because my son was scheduled for a circumcision the following week. He had been diagnosed with "phimosis" by an urgent care doctor, who then referred us to an ignorant, self-important urologist who confirmed his diagnosis with barely a glance at DS's penis.

I ended up on this board, wondering what I should do, and was given more support and information than I could have ever hoped for.

DS's "issues" turned out to be just a natural progression of the foreskin separating from the glans, causing it to temporarily burn/sting when he urinated. It resolved itself within three days.

I canceled the circumcision, and I can't even begin to tell you all how grateful I am to have had this resource available at my fingertips. If not for this board, my son would be circumcised today, and I would have cried rivers over the violation of his body.

He has not had a single problem since then, and I am thankful LITERALLY every time I change his diaper that I found the information I needed to protect him.

He is whole and intact and perfect today because of your support! Thank you all so much - from both of us! You are all doing great work, and making a real difference in real people's lives!

In case anyone is curious - here is my very first thread on MDC, posted in desperation: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=694025

So, to all of you who helped, and continue to help others ...
You are the best!

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***
#2 of 18 Old 09-11-2007, 11:26 PM

YAY! What an awesome update! I'm so happy for your son and so proud of you!

If at some point you have the energy, you might consider writing letters to the doctors -- and the state medical licensing board. But for your willingness and ability to question their pronouncements and find correct information for yourself, your son would have suffered a traumatic and unnecessary surgery. Think of how many boys these quacks get their knives on every year. :

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 18 Old 09-11-2007, 11:32 PM

: I love post like yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#4 of 18 Old 09-11-2007, 11:59 PM

I remember your original post and I felt sad that the doctors put you in the position you were in. I'm so glad that you got some good information and happy to hear such a wonderful update on your son!!!
#5 of 18 Old 09-12-2007, 12:05 AM

WOOT!

But you deserve the credit for seeking out the information instead of blindly following the Drs recommendations.
#6 of 18 Old 09-12-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
WOOT!

But you deserve the credit for seeking out the information instead of blindly following the Drs recommendations.
: Good for you for finding your own answers!
I'm also very thankful to this board for all the knowledge they share.

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

#7 of 18 Old 09-12-2007, 12:46 AM

Good for you! Your son is lucky to have such a wonderful mama!
#8 of 18 Old 09-12-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
YAY! What an awesome update! I'm so happy for your son and so proud of you!

If at some point you have the energy, you might consider writing letters to the doctors -- and the state medical licensing board. But for your willingness and ability to question their pronouncements and find correct information for yourself, your son would have suffered a traumatic and unnecessary surgery. Think of how many boys these quacks get their knives on every year. :
It would be a wonderful way to show your appreciation by helping in our fight and considering the suggestion Quirky made. More importantly, you very well may save another boy
Writing a letter to the doctor and copying the state medical licensing board will certainly make them think twice the next time they want to suggest a phony-phimosis-diagnosis and circ...

You can be instrumental in sparing some poor mom or dad the agony that you were very close to experiencing (had you been blindy led by those doctors to have your son circ'd), by making the doctors aware that the state medical licensing board has been notified of their antics.

PLEASE PM me if you want to do this and need a hand...(I just went through this process)
#9 of 18 Old 09-12-2007, 01:26 AM

#10 of 18 Old 09-12-2007, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yay, I love to read updates like this!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#11 of 18 Old 09-12-2007, 01:41 AM

Oh, one more thing.
I do not in any way want to frighten you, but a doctor severely harmed my intact son's penis by forcibly and surgically retracting his foreskin while he was in for hernia surgery, claiming my son had PHIMOSIS!

So, now that you know better than to circ, beware of the ignorant Dr.'s who may try to force your son's foreskin back. I realize you are fairly new to this board (as am I)...so I just wanted to point that out to you!!

(Never take for granted that ANYONE would know better...it just IS NOT common knowledge within the American medical profession NOT to retract! So if ever in the hospital...etc... make sure you write on all consent forms, tell all that will care for your child, "DO NOT RETRACT!"...)

:
#12 of 18 Old 09-12-2007, 02:11 AM

I wasn't here for that. Missed it. Read the thread. Great Thread!

I'm so happy that your ds was saved!!! Its a constant reminder that we live in a Nation where Americans blindly follow a Doctor's advice without bating an eye! These same Dr's are woefully ignorant and that is so scary! Good for you for trusting your better Judgment. Don't forget to PM that girl from the other forum to tell her how much you appreciate what she did, pointed you into CAC's direction! CAC is full of SUPER SMART ppl! (Can't say that about myself tho). If it weren't for CAC sharpening my arrows I'd be in a rut. Stories like yours gives me more confidence in MDC! I'm so happy for you and your ds.
#13 of 18 Old 09-12-2007, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all of the encouragement! I'm still happy today and every day that my son is intact!

foreskin friendly - I was sending you a PM, but I got this message:

foreskin friendly has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

Looks like you have some housekeeping to do!

Here is the gist of what my PM would have said:

-----------------------------
Thanks for your replies to my post about saving my son's foreskin!

I would LOVE to have your guidance on how to go about writing letters. I have thought of starting often, but never know where to start.

If it would be possible to send me a draft of what you wrote, that would give me a great starting place. I feel very strongly that someone needs to be notified that they were ready to cut a boy who was perfectly healthy. I hope that my action could save another boy.

Thank you in advance for any guidance you could offer.

-----------------------

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***
#14 of 18 Old 09-12-2007, 10:35 AM

w00t!

the ripples extend, further and further...

the circ fanatics may have the status quo on their side, but we have a) common sense, b) real medical data instead of culturally & financially driven drivel, c) the natural inclination of parents to protect their offspring, d) the internet (and a questioning generation of teenagers who aren't afraid to call bs when they hear it), and e), the most passionate, well-informed activists on the planet!

wtg for joining the team!
#15 of 18 Old 09-12-2007, 06:31 PM

Thanks for sharing this kind of update always make us happy

Now to really make our day promise you will share your story. Share your story every time you hear someone tell the "this guy I knew had to be circ'd" story. If your good at writting write an article and submit it to every parenting magazine out there. Share it with every mommy you meet.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#16 of 18 Old 09-12-2007, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
CONGRATS MAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And thank you SOOOOOOOOOOO much for posting about it here!!!! You have no idea how much hope that gives to us when we "lose" a baby's penis to circumcision and feel let down.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#17 of 18 Old 09-12-2007, 07:38 PM

OP... I PM'd you...
#18 of 18 Old 09-12-2007, 09:37 PM

what a wonderful post. im so glad you found this forum. share your story with others so they know the sort of terrible advice you got is common, and that thinking for yourself and doing your own research is important!! good job mama!!

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page