My newborn has a foreskin bubble........??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-27-2007, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My newborn seems to have a bubble in his foreskin near the tip of the penis. It appears to have fluid in it and looks kind of like a blister or cyst. The bump is not red, but kind of yellowish. I was wondering what it could be? He's being seen by the doctor tomorrow, but I'm afraid they're going to give me the usual "He needs a circumcision!" I'd really like to be prepared to discuss what it is and how to treat it.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#2 of 14 Old 09-27-2007, 03:07 PM

sorry i don't know, but wanted to encourage you to *be vigilant* about retraction by the dr.

is the bubble very big? does he have something similar anywhere else on his body?

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#3 of 14 Old 09-27-2007, 03:23 PM

Sounds like maybe a little water blister or smegma pearl? So long as he's peeing alright and isn't showing signs of infection it's probably nothing to worry about.

Jen
#4 of 14 Old 09-27-2007, 03:40 PM

My ds has had a smegma pearl since he was a newborn. It looks just like a blister. HTH!
#5 of 14 Old 09-27-2007, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Yeh that's the first thing I'm going to tell the doctor "Don't touch his penis!!!" lol.

The 'bubble' is like the size of a small pea. How big would a smegma pearl be?

And no, nothing similar anywhere else.

I'm not worried but in case the doctor is, like I said, I'd just like to be informed

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
#6 of 14 Old 09-27-2007, 04:44 PM

my DS had this too. it went away after a couple of days. never knew what it was, but it didnt seem to bother him, so i wasnt worried.
yes, make sure the doc doesnt mess with his penis. go in with an intact care agreement.

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#7 of 14 Old 09-27-2007, 05:16 PM

Is it constantly there or does it fill and drain? I ask because my little ds was born with his foreskin detatched in several spots and they would swell up, look like little pea sized,yellow blisters and then the next time I changed him, they would be gone. All it turned out to be was urine getting "stuck" in the little pockets under the foreskin when he urinated. Eventually the urine would seep out into his diaper, and since it is sterile anyway, he never had any ill effects from it.

Take care,
Tara

Tara Momma to Callum and Gavin
#8 of 14 Old 09-27-2007, 05:16 PM

First, I'd only let him be seen by an intact doctor. 80% of the world's men and most of the world's women qualify; shouldn't be hard to find.

Second, do be very clear that if touching of the penis is needed ONLY YOU will do it, and if it is something you don't want to do, you will WALK OUT. (Practice doing it in your mind). You do not stop owning your own fate and having full responsibility for your child just because someone with a white coat is in the room.

Third, it's probably nothing. If he's infected, the body part or the whole body would probably be warm to the touch. If he was in pain, he would be cranky.

If the doctor has ANY concerns about it, you can ask, "Should we see a pediatric urologist (who has a foreskin)?"

-Ron

-Ron
HIS body, HIS decision.
#9 of 14 Old 09-27-2007, 05:43 PM

Is it on the very tip of his foreskin or more back towards the body? A smegma pearl will be between the glans and the foreskin. The only time my ds had a blister on the very tip was when he got a bacterial infection (my fault for not washing his hands before a diaper change and he got particularly ruff with it) But in that case it was very obvious that something was going on because the whole thing started to swell soon after.

If you want to make sure when you go tomarrow that nothing is starting to grow, like yeast, you can have them do a very simple swab of the very tip of his foreskin. They use those q tip things like when they check for strep and gently rub the tip of the foreskin only. No need for retraction.

I wanted to mention use the words do not push back his foreskin at all instead of retract because some Dr. only see it as retraction if the whole head is exposed. (You may already know this but just in case you dont and for any lurkers reading this I wanted to be clear)

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#10 of 14 Old 09-27-2007, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

You know, we changed him, he peed, and it was gone! Weird!

#11 of 14 Old 09-27-2007, 09:04 PM

I came here to post this exact same question, only it's about my 9 month old. I just changed his diaper to find a water blister at the tip of his foreskin. NOT a smegma pearl. It's definitely a water blister. I totally don't know what to do about it.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#12 of 14 Old 09-27-2007, 10:33 PM

Lila give it time to resolve on its own say 24 hours watch it for redness and swelling if neither occour then odds ae good he will be fine. Not sure what causes it maybe gets a bit pinched in the diaper? Either way if it is something you need to worry about you will know pretty fast.

I am sorry you are dealing with this it sucks.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#13 of 14 Old 09-27-2007, 11:34 PM

thanks for the advice. i changed detergent temporarily while i was waiting for my charlie's soap to arrive, and i am wondering if that's the cause. he doesn't seem bothered by it.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#14 of 14 Old 09-28-2007, 08:13 AM

That is possible. Some kids are very sensitive to that sort of thing. I hope it is goes away fast.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page