Oprah on circumcision today? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got this today:

http://www.realage.com/news_features...?v=2&cid=18396

I live in the UK, and we don't get Oprah here, but thought others here might be interested in seeing this (and I'd love a report back on what it said!).
#2 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
: That bothered me. So it reduces sensation for both partners, but he'll never know the difference and it reduces STDs. I hope Oprah gets a new doctor!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#3 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 10:40 AM

I am definatly watching.....I hope everyone does because if it is biased and we got some letters going maybe she would revisit the topic.......with a nocirc rep
#4 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 11:45 AM

I'll watch,as long as I can keep myself from throwing anything at the TV. Can't really afford a new one at this point, so if it gets too bad, I'll have to turn it off. :

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

#5 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 12:33 PM

From Oprah's website re: Today's Show:

http://www2.oprah.com/health/oz/oz_2..._350_103.jhtml

Quote:
He says there are some reasons that circumcision makes sense—religious or family traditions, hygiene, and reduced risk of transmitting sexually transmitted diseases and viruses.

There are reasons to not circumcise as well. Some people consider it disfiguring, and doing it will reduce sensation during sex. "In a circumcised male, the bottom part, the underneath part of the penis, is the most sensitive part," Dr. Oz says, using a cucumber wrapped in a sock as a demonstration. "If you've not been circumcised, about half of the erogenous tissue on the penis is actually that foreskin area. Plus the foreskin covers over the glans—that front part, and that's the most sensitive part of the penis—so it doesn't get rubbed on, so it stays a little bit more preserved for when the foreskin eventually does pull back during intercourse."

The American Academy of Pediatrics doesn't take a position on circumcision. "They say it's up to you," Dr. Oz says.

For boys who haven't been circumcised, it is important to learn the proper way to clean themselves. Uncircumcised boys are 10 times more likely to get an infection than those who are circumcised, Dr. Oz says.

To do it correctly, "You pull the skin back and you can actually get under here and clean this corner out. Now these edges are where something called smegma resides and that stuff can get pretty nasty if you don't clean it up. But here's the bigger issue. As a doctor I care about this. Most guys who are uncircumcised have the foreskin leading off. This touches the pants and it gets scarred after a while. It can get pretty taut. Sometimes it goes over the tip of the penis and squeezes down on it and that can actually strangle the tip of the penis. That's called a phimosis. When we see it, that's an emergency. And so for folks that have not been circumcised, that's pretty important to keep in mind."
#6 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 12:56 PM

Well, she let this topic come up on her show. I guess that's good. I'm trying to be optimistic that this could provide a chance to educate. Do you think NOCIRC or DOC will get involved? Should we send letters to Oprah or ask these organizations to contact her?
#7 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 01:01 PM

OMG is that guy really a doctor?

He's clearly got absolutely no idea of how a complete penis works. That's absolutely pathetic.

How the he11 do you all get to adulthood over there, with people like that watching over your health?
#8 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 01:04 PM

Sounds like Dr. Oz is cut.

I would say that DOC should contact him regarding his responses about the intact penis.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#9 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 01:09 PM

Idiot :

So full of misinformation and propaganda :
#10 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 01:27 PM

I think what we need to do is to have paul fleiss,regretful mothers, mothers of intact boys-who facing the stupid harassment by doctors and most of them giving the wrong advice like thank goodness this mom was with it otherwise a poor baby would have been circ over banana pudding because the doctor saw yellow -said infection- and gave her 'cp' even mentioned sexual dislikes-we need to show this world how stupid doctors are
#11 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 01:45 PM

Dr. Oz is a Turkish-American heart surgeon.

Gillian
#12 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glongley View Post

Gillian
then what is he doing giving advice of foreskin and circumcision ?
#13 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 01:57 PM

retract
rinse
replace

penis models not required!!

scrubbing not required!!

:

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#14 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 03:09 PM

I've never cared for Dr. Oz in the first place, and even less for him now...:

<>< Alison
#15 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Well that surely explains a lot...namely his idiocy regarding the intact penis. Geez. Seriously, I can't even take a regular Oprah episode without wanting to throw things at the TV. The sad thing is that I know many people who take the opinions of "experts" on Oprah's show as gospel...so if this Dr. Oz is going to come on the show and spout all this garbage, I'm thinking a lot of people are going to listen. Really gets my blood pressure rising!!!

#16 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 05:01 PM

Sounds like Dr "Oz" should go float away in a balloon....and take his bad advice with him!

What, they couldn't actually get someone who knew what they were talking about? Apparently not.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#17 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 05:12 PM

I just watched it. It made me want to puke. :

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#18 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norajane View Post
I just watched it. It made me want to puke. :
Anything positive?

Did it seem very pro circ?

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#19 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
Anything positive?

I just watched it. It was very pro-circ. The only positive they gave for being intact was increased sensation during sex.
#20 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 05:18 PM

:

well, what did we expect from a woman who raves about rubbing foreskin on her face. :

#21 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Anything positive?

He said that being circed meant less infection. He was talking about the AIDS study in Africa and how it was proven that circed men got AIDS less: , and that probably meant that it would reduce HPV as well, and that would mean that it would reduce cervical cancer for women.

He talked about what a nasty thing smegma is. Also how little boys have 10 time greater chance of infection if not cut.

He did mention that it reduced sensation during sex, which was the only positive.

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#22 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
:

well, what did we expect from a woman who raves about rubbing foreskin on her face. :
True. So true.

#23 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 05:36 PM

[QUOTE=norajane;9320951] Also how little boys have 10 time greater chance of infection if not cut.
QUOTE]

I was thinking of cutting off my (future) son's big toes so he never has to worry about ingrown toenails. I've heard people without toes have less toe infections.

: 10/06 : 10/09
#24 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 05:38 PM

Ugh. Nevermind- maybe I won't watch it. Just what I want ot see is an ignorant, biased medical professional spouting off about things he has no knowledge of. :

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

#25 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Of course intact boys have more infections in the USA when parents and medical "professionals" don't know the proper way to care for an intact penis. I wonder what the infection rate is in countries where circ is NOT the norm.

And why on earth did they get a heart surgeon to talk about circ? Wouldn't a urologist have been more appropriate? Or at least a GP?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#26 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 05:45 PM

wow that sounds like a epsiode to just avoid all together.

24 tattooed SAHM to a silly boy born at home in the tub 1/31/07
#27 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
:

THAT is what I came to comment on:

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
#28 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norajane View Post
He said that being circed meant less infection. He was talking about the AIDS study in Africa and how it was proven that circed men got AIDS less: , and that probably meant that it would reduce HPV as well, and that would mean that it would reduce cervical cancer for women.
I don't even know where to begin deconstructing everything that is wrong with that statement!
#29 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 06:09 PM

I haven't watched it yet, but I TiVo'd it. The whole thing makes me want to scream too. I just wonder what would happen if an authority on intact penises contacts her show. Has anyone tried? It wouldn't hurt to have several lay-people write too.

I just know hoe powerful her show is and since it came up on her show, I'm thinking she might be willing to talk about it.
#30 of 115 Old 10-01-2007, 06:09 PM

It's on where I live right now. I just can't stop thinking about all of the misinformation that's being construed as fact by millions of women right now. Poor baby boys.

Brackin, mom to DD (10/02), DS (5/06) and DS (12/09) jumpers.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page