When parents speak postively of going into the circ room? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 10-03-2007, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why do parents speak well of it do they just see it as like a shot with a few tears ?

Because that's the only way I can see a parent being able to handle watching them do that to their children.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 10-03-2007, 03:50 PM

i have heard over and over again (online, not IRL) that parents went with their babies when they were circd and that they didn't cry, slept right through it, etc etc. now, some of them might be telling the truth and their kid was actually given proper anesthesia. but i don't really think that many moms or dads actually do go in. maybe im wrong, but when the discussions/debates happen and moms get defensive and back it up by saying they were there when baby was circd and slept right through it, i don't know....hard for me to believe.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#3 of 19 Old 10-03-2007, 03:52 PM

I have no idea. I can't even fathom being there. Isn't it amazing how brainwashed people in this country are regarding circ? They really think they are doing it for their son's benefit. (well - the ones in the room watching it anyway)

Mamma to 3! nurslings Emma (4) Daniel (3) and our new baby Beth! 10/10/09
#4 of 19 Old 10-03-2007, 04:03 PM

my husband was there. I know he was there, because I was outside the door. i heard my baby cry, but only very briefly, my husband said that he cried when the doctor gave him the shot of anesthetic but didn't cry at all during the actual procedure. I just pray that my baby was one of the lucky ones who did recieve good enough anesthetic and that he really didn't feel any pain during the procedure. It's bad enough that he will live the rest of his life without part of his body due to my ignorance.

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#5 of 19 Old 10-03-2007, 04:09 PM

Angela

Mamma to 3! nurslings Emma (4) Daniel (3) and our new baby Beth! 10/10/09
#6 of 19 Old 10-03-2007, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

The one lady said she saw that the doctor put some cream on it for her 2 boys-I think it's emla-but I know it is not even that effective but of course they had the plastibell-
#7 of 19 Old 10-03-2007, 04:28 PM

I made DH take DS to get tubes, that's how much of a weenie I am. The thought of watching him get circumcised literally makes me want to vomit.
#8 of 19 Old 10-03-2007, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

I'm with you -torturing unneccessary I put some information out there-with studies to back me up but since they are pro-circ I bet all that will be missed and I bet the one girl will pass by it due to the fact One out of 8 ppl there left their children intact-i'm the one
#9 of 19 Old 10-03-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titania8 View Post
proper anesthesia

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but its my understanding that short of putting the child to sleep with anesthesia there is no way to numb the whole penis. There are creams to numb the skin, shots that can numb all but the frenulem area but nothing can provide proper anesthesia, that is anesthesia that makes it so the child can feel nothing.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#10 of 19 Old 10-03-2007, 07:08 PM

I have a couple of friends who circed before they knew any better, and were with their sons for the circs, and have reported that with anesthesia their babies didn't scream or seem unhappy. I believe them. Honestly, I do think it's possible to get good anesthesia, which is one of the reasons that I don't try to convince parents that they shouldn't circ because of the pain.

Now, aftercare, that's a different matter. But still, I know lots of moms who circed whose babies haven't had any problems healing. So again, that's not one of the arguments I find all that compelling.

To the OP's question, I think the real issue is that people have no clue what is being cut off when they see the circ. Parents are so brainwashed to think it's medically necessary, and doctors don't tell them any different. So it may be icky and bloody, but if it's "necessary" to keep babies healthy, then it's a necessary evil.

Just another reason to educate people what the foreskin is FOR!!!!!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#11 of 19 Old 10-03-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
I have a couple of friends who circed before they knew any better, and were with their sons for the circs, and have reported that with anesthesia their babies didn't scream or seem unhappy. I believe them. Honestly, I do think it's possible to get good anesthesia, which is one of the reasons that I don't try to convince parents that they shouldn't circ because of the pain.

...Just another reason to educate people what the foreskin is FOR!!!!!
Well said, Quirky.

I used to be a CNA and assisted with circumcisions before I was fully informed. There was one provider who used EMLA (at least an hour before) and then also injected local anesthesia and used the mogen (fastest of the three) method and sucrose orally for comfort. With all of those measures combined, discomfort during the actual operation honestly and truly seemed very minimal.

Do *most* babies get adaquate anesthetic? No.

Are videos showing babies suffering during circumcision a useful tool in dissuading parents? Yes.

I completely agree though that because it is *possible* to reduce the pain of circumcision very significantly that we remember to communicate that pain is not the primary reason this practice is appalling.

Jen
#12 of 19 Old 10-04-2007, 05:02 PM

I know this has been said over and over here, but EMLA is not adequate for ANYTHING.

About a month ago I had my wisdom tooth (only one) pulled. The doc put EMLA on before injecting the anestethic (I can't be knocked out ) and it still hurt like

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#13 of 19 Old 10-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Banned

I've met an intelegent looking wonen on a playdate of a local AP group. When circ topic came up, she said that all her three boys are circ'd, because her dh is and is ok : . Anyway, she went on telling that she wasn't there with her first son, but with the second one she was and it was horrible. She said he thew such a fit because he was strapped : (showing the possition he was strapped in) : : : . After watching this she didn't want to go in with her third son, so her dh did and said that he didn't cry it took it as a man.

: : : :

go figure whare her brain was....:
#14 of 19 Old 10-04-2007, 06:19 PM

I know that in the state of Florida it is required that anthesia be used in all circs. The peds have the choice of the cream, the shot or both. Most peds in this area do use both. they apply the cream at least 30 mins (most go for a full hour) prior to bringing them into the procedure room. then once they are strapped down, they are then given an injection and they wait a good 10-20 mins before starting. Each state is different, though. I would say look into your particular state to see what the policy is for anthesia for this.
#15 of 19 Old 10-04-2007, 07:27 PM

I honestly think people still think of it as an extra flap of skin. It took 15 minutes or so and my dh pulling down his pants and me pointing things out before he could understand how his scar looked the way it did, and that it was a huge hunk of skin that was removed, and how his scar was a band, not a sliver. It took him really honestly looking at his penis for a few minutes to get it, to see the foreskin at a length of skin, not a hangnail, not a flap, a section of his penis.

(and that is a long time really to examine your dh's penis in the living room with the lights on with no prospect of sex )

That was an interesting night.

R~mama to 3

#16 of 19 Old 10-04-2007, 11:10 PM

I always here the story how it was just to awful and too much for them to watch their baby go through that so they make the dad do it or baby goes alone.
#17 of 19 Old 10-05-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulia_R View Post
I've met an intelegent looking wonen on a playdate of a local AP group. When circ topic came up, she said that all her three boys are circ'd, because her dh is and is ok : . Anyway, she went on telling that she wasn't there with her first son, but with the second one she was and it was horrible. She said he thew such a fit because he was strapped : (showing the possition he was strapped in) : : : . After watching this she didn't want to go in with her third son, so her dh did and said that he didn't cry it took it as a man.

: : : :

go figure whare her brain was....:
Ugh - what kind of sicko describes a newborn as "taking it like a man".

I think if a parent signs away their child's foreskin, the LEAST they can do is be with the baby and offer some kind of comfort. If the parents don't think THEY can "take it" they have no business subjecting their baby to it!
#18 of 19 Old 10-05-2007, 02:13 AM

yeah, anesthetic is the first thing i mention when the topic of circ comes up with ttc/expecting parents--that "you do realize that if you don't specifically ASK for anesthetic, they won't use any!!??" then i lead into "well you actually don't have to circ at all...did you know...."

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#19 of 19 Old 10-05-2007, 08:50 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but thought that EMLA cream was contraindicated in infants under 6 months old...

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page