Latest findings on HIV / circ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-26-2003, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was hoping someone here could help me. Someone has just posted on another board that I visit that all African baby boys should all be circed at birth : to prevent the spread of AIDS.

I've been trying to find the latest research so that I can discuss this intelligently, but there seems to have been a lot of flawed studies and speculation.

Can anyone provide me with links to any reputable research done into this area? I think I read somewhere that a new study was due to be published this month but haven't come across anything so far.
#2 of 5 Old 07-26-2003, 11:25 PM

You're right about a lot of flawed research. The last I saw showed about a 2/10ths of a percent difference. Another had absolutely the opposite results of what were intended. Due to a miscommunication between the researchers and the study subjects, the subjects thought that their new circumcisions would protect them from AIDS and were participating in some very risky practices. The fact of the matter is that circumcision does not offer any statistically significant protection and never will. Regardless of the miniscule difference, the study authors used it to recommend universal mandatory male circumcision in those areas. Does that give you any indication of the intent of the researchers?

Something they seriously need to take a look at is all of those uncircumcised women that the men are getting AIDS from. I am absolutely certain that is the real problem!

Frank
#3 of 5 Old 07-28-2003, 10:49 AM
Banned

#4 of 5 Old 07-28-2003, 01:05 PM

There was an article listed here on aids/circ:
http://www.cirp.org/news/
#5 of 5 Old 07-28-2003, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info everyone.

I'm pretty sure that the guy I was talking about in the OP was referring to the media coverage of a presentation which was made at the International Aids Conference last year in Barcelona about male circumcision as a strategy to prevent HIV in Botswana. I managed to find the text, which was published in the Sexually Transmitted Infections journal:
http://sti.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte...tract/79/3/214
Unlike the article itself, the criticisms are well referenced and very convincing.

Even though the anti-circ sites discuss this subject much more persuasively and exhaustively than I can, I wanted to avoid linking to them because I KNOW the person who brought it up will automatically discount anything from an anti-circ website.

I had read that the Medical Research Council was coming out with a review of all the previous circumcision/HIV studies, basically criticising the standard of the research that has been done (http://www.cirp.org/news/news24_07-18-03/) and concluding that circumcision does NOT prevent the spread of AIDS. This morning I found the text of the review, (http://www.update-software.com/abstracts/AB003362.htm), which has just been published.

So now I'm off to write my response - wish me luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page