Do you know intact little boys? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 110 Old 10-25-2007, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It would be very helpful if posters would identify the geographical region they are referring to. RIC rates in the US are in fact to a great degree regional, and this would help establish a pattern. THe other thing that is distresing is that so many people are saying they know almost no or very few uncirced small boys. I have long suspected that the hospital release rates for circumcision are quite different from the real circucmision rate int he US, and the number of persons who are saying they know no or few uncirced boys would seem to confirm that the real circ rate is actually much higher than the hospital release rates would suggest--even though the circ rate is clearly much lower now than it was 20 years ago.
#92 of 110 Old 10-25-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever_45723 View Post
It would be very helpful if posters would identify the geographical region they are referring to. RIC rates in the US are in fact to a great degree regional, and this would help establish a pattern. THe other thing that is distresing is that so many people are saying they know almost no or very few uncirced small boys. I have long suspected that the hospital release rates for circumcision are quite different from the real circucmision rate int he US, and the number of persons who are saying they know no or few uncirced boys would seem to confirm that the real circ rate is actually much higher than the hospital release rates would suggest--even though the circ rate is clearly much lower now than it was 20 years ago.
If the respondent has just for example a 10 yo and a 12 yo then most of the little boy they have opportunity to observe will have been in the circ stats from over a decade ago. Even someone who worked in daycare with 2 yos 3 years ago before they had there own kid will be looking at kids ho were circ'd 5 or more years ago.

When people report that most of their freinds didn't circ, the sampling is very far from random. We are talking about small circles of crunchy mommies many of whom will have homebirthed. Even though I mentioned that most of my IRL friends are not in child bearing years and many jusst don't want to be mommies anyway, I would not be at all surprise that those who are older and did have childeren in the '70s or '80s choose to ignore Drs advice and do things like BF and not circ. When I was at an art opening recently and DS needed to nurse one of the older ladies who had helped currate the show mentioned that she nursed and CLW back in the '50s.

Basically or little sampling has very very little to do with the real incidence of this practice.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#93 of 110 Old 10-25-2007, 03:13 PM

In my circle of friends there are something like 2/10 which are circumcised, and the mom who has the circumcised boys did not want them circumcised, her DH did and took them for it. :

In my immediate family the two other boys are cut...but that's more a function of the fact my brother (their father) was cut without permission in the hospital when he was born. My family lineage is ALL intact though. Interestingly enough my mother told me that my SIL didn't really care to have them cut, but brother insisted. My mother SHOULD have told them what happened to my brother. She doesn't want him to feel weird about it, or about my dad :.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#94 of 110 Old 10-25-2007, 03:30 PM

Yes! I was very excited to learn that my 2 yo nephew (born in MI, with one of the highest circ rates) and my 3 step-brothers (middle school age, born on OR) are all intact! And that my dad is a closet intactivist!
#95 of 110 Old 10-25-2007, 03:32 PM

DS is the only intact boy I know of IRL . . . tho I don't really know the status of that many of the boys at the park & playdates so I might not be alone. . . even tho it seems like it sometimes.
#96 of 110 Old 10-25-2007, 11:37 PM

Only DS and my nephew. Every other little boy I know is circ'd.

I have a friend that is preggo and she just told me today that "If I have a boy, he'll be circumcised. That's just my personal preference". : I really hope she has another girl....

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#97 of 110 Old 10-26-2007, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
I have a friend that is preggo and she just told me today that "If I have a boy, he'll be circumcised. That's just my personal preference". :
I wonder what her SON'S personal preference would be? :

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#98 of 110 Old 10-26-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever_45723 View Post
It would be very helpful if posters would identify the geographical region they are referring to. RIC rates in the US are in fact to a great degree regional, and this would help establish a pattern. THe other thing that is distresing is that so many people are saying they know almost no or very few uncirced small boys.
I have been curious about this for some years now (my oldest is now well into his teens). Setting aside immigrant populations, I have come to the conclusion that the circ rates are mostly the product of a mindset (you could call it 'crunchy' or non-conformist, as eepster pointed out). There are certain areas - Berkeley, CA, Cambride, MA, Boulder, CO and the Seattle area - where I hear the rates are (relatively) way down. The geographic issue to a large extent is simply a reflection of where the 'birds of a feather' tend to congregate.

Out here in California, some of my medical contacts who cater to middle class insured whites (to be specific, in Silicon Valley, Newport Beach, CA and 'white' areas of San Diego) say that the rate of circ is at least 80% in their young male patients. This is anecdotal, but the reports were independent of each other, and the figure was consistent from place to place.

The Medicaid coverage will also affect overall stats. For example, I believe North Carolina has a rate of 56%, while neighboring South Carolina reports 85%. SC medicaid covers it, NC's doesn't, but I would imagine there is very little difference between the incidence of circumcision in middle class white Charlotte, NC and Chraleston, SC. Just a thought anyhow.
#99 of 110 Old 10-26-2007, 10:22 AM

Before becoming an intactavist..I thought I knew know one (except an ex boyfriend). But now they are crawling out of the woodwork...
#100 of 110 Old 10-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhalfmoon View Post
I wonder what her SON'S personal preference would be? :
Forget her preference - what about her son's future wife's preference?!

I was VERY relieved to find out that my husband was intact. It meant at least two things:

1 - he had full use of his penis

2 - it meant that I didn't have to try to persuade him to leave our sons intact. No battling the silly argument of making the boys look like him.
#101 of 110 Old 10-27-2007, 11:45 AM

I know several intact little boys but have only known one grown man that was and he was not from the US but came here when he was a child (and I didn't know him know him ).

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#102 of 110 Old 10-27-2007, 12:36 PM

I know a few guys (that im told ) are intact and as for my DS (whos only 11 months old) "friends" 2 are circ'ed and he's the only one...but i do know a few people who's kids i normally don't see that are intact.

I talked a friend of mine whos due with a Boy in March out of it, so he will be intact and i also talked to my sister's and they won't circ. either :-) (when they have kids that is)

Actually....i just went to TN with 8 other women and their kids....5 were boys and 3 of them were INTACT and only 2 were circ'ed LOL. they were the minority!! It felt so good.
#103 of 110 Old 10-27-2007, 01:19 PM

I've said this before, but at the risk of being repetitive:

I have 7 intact nephews; 2 intact sons; 4 intact brothers; 1 intact BIL; the vast majority of boys 8 and under I know are intact; several friends who if they ever have boys will leave them intact, etc.

One time I was in the Target parking lot and a little boy about 4 dropped his drawers and took a pee on a tiny tree. I happened to look up and he was intact! :
#104 of 110 Old 10-27-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiddlinmama View Post
One time I was in the Target parking lot and a little boy about 4 dropped his drawers and took a pee on a tiny tree. I happened to look up and he was intact! :

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#105 of 110 Old 10-27-2007, 11:08 PM

I don't live in America, so it's rare for me to see a little boy who isn't intact.
#106 of 110 Old 10-28-2007, 01:57 PM

Of the people I am close friends with, my sister's 2 boys are the only one's intact. I know a lot of people casually whose boys are intact. However, of the group of moms I've gotten to know the best, they all circ'd their boys. They are a relatively mainstream group of women I met when DD was born. At the time, this was the only mom's group around. Now there are more "natural" oriented groups around. They all know DS is intact. We just don't discuss it.

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

#107 of 110 Old 11-04-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisie125 View Post
The great majority of boys in my state are circed, I read somewhere that we have like the 3rd highest rate in the nation

That said, DS has one friend who is a boy and he's intact
yep Mr Ant is all natural and I wouldn't have had it any other way!!

Michelle , wife to Ray, mama to Anthony(12/20/05), Bryant(01/08), Carisma (08/21/10) , step ma to Amber(12/13/94), : :
#108 of 110 Old 11-04-2007, 10:29 PM

are intact. My nephews (all in their 20's) are intact. I know of a couple of kids that are circed but not many.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#109 of 110 Old 11-05-2007, 12:46 AM

most are circed. 2 of my nephews are intact (14 and 17). My ds is intact. My brother was intact, but was circed at 18/19 because of adhesions/pain/phimosis. My BIL was intact but circed at 8 or 10. My younger nephews are circed. My dh is circed. My sFIL and FIL are circed (MIL told me she would never be with an intact man - "ewww!"). My 4 other nephews (12, 9, 4, 2) are circed. I have another 9 yr old nephew who I am not sure of - can't remember! We also have a new baby boy (6mo) in the family - I would bet with 99% certainty that he is circed - I refuse to change his diaper because I don't want to see. Most people in my family and circle of friends would think it's gross to be intact. Georgia, USA. I haven't really had a lot of friends myself, but I would love to have a group of friends who are AP!

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
#110 of 110 Old 11-05-2007, 03:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry, no time to read all posts so this may have been mentioned already, but you might try sending your sister this link:
http://www.stopcirc.com/vincent/vuln...ty_of_men.html
It gives good suggestions on how to talk about the issue with a husband who has a hard time listening to arguments about why to leave a baby intact. GOOD LUCK to your sister! It's worth a fight.

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page