Do you ever read siggies and wonder... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 107 Old 11-13-2007, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Personally, I'd prefer that people get to know me rather than wondering whether they'd like or agree with me or not based on what's in my signature. I can't possibly fit all the things I'm for (a few: CDing, logical consequences, BFing, the Green Bay Packers, and chocolate) and against (another few: circ, the Donlin Creek Gold Mine, and cauliflower) in there, anyway.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 107 Old 11-13-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy&Will View Post
Crap. This is painful for me.

Both my boys are circumcised.

I found MDC right before my second son was born. It saved him from vaccinations, and I had a natural(ish-in-the-hospital-but-med-free) birth because of MDC but will regret to the day I die my inability to open up and research the circ issue. I struggle with this and know it contributed to ppd.

I hate talking about this - mostly to a bunch of people here I don't know.

But since then, the people who post on MDC have really had a push to include No Circ statements in their siggies - much more than when I first came on. Maybe if I would have seen it on all these siggies when I was pregnant, just maybe....

So I guess I am going to change my sigg. Maybe it will help at least one mama to open up and reconsider her mainstream ideas. I wish I would have in time.

So there - you don't have to wonder you can now know that my little boys are circ'd. :

I'm a little afraid to do this - wondering what kind of hate mail I may get when people know I circ'd . BUt whatever, its not about me anymore.
There are lots of mamas here who feel the way you do. My heart goes out to you all (and I reserve my anger for those who push this atrocity on parents, especially moms, when they are at their most vulnerable).

Thank you for your siggie - I do think they make a difference, even here on MDC. Lots of people in the States just don't even think to question circumcision.
#63 of 107 Old 11-13-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
Yes, I wonder why they don't and assume it is b/c they circ'ed. Especially if their join date is after their son's birthdate.

The best place to scope out circing members is on those "the ways I'm not crunchy" threads. Lots of bull$%^& there.

MDC is primarily an American site and so to say that you don't even think about it b/c you are from a non-circing country... well, you are missing an opportunity to help some other babies. And if a new person comes to MDC and sees most members saying no-circ in their siggies, well, that is a very powerful statement.

:

Mamma to 3! nurslings Emma (4) Daniel (3) and our new baby Beth! 10/10/09
#64 of 107 Old 11-13-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:

I found MDC right before my second son was born. It saved him from vaccinations, and I had a natural(ish-in-the-hospital-but-med-free) birth because of MDC but will regret to the day I die my inability to open up and research the circ issue. I struggle with this and know it contributed to ppd.

But since then, the people who post on MDC have really had a push to include No Circ statements in their siggies - much more than when I first came on. Maybe if I would have seen it on all these siggies when I was pregnant, just maybe....

So I guess I am going to change my sigg. Maybe it will help at least one mama to open up and reconsider her mainstream ideas. I wish I would have in time.

So there - you don't have to wonder you can now know that my little boys are circ'd. :

I'm a little afraid to do this - wondering what kind of hate mail I may get when people know I circ'd . BUt whatever, its not about me anymore.
I'm sorry, mama

Your new sig is awesome. I truly believe it will make a difference to someone. I think regretful mothers have the most powerful voices of all
#65 of 107 Old 11-13-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Your sig is very moving. I don't think you will get any hate mail.
It takes a very strong mama to admit what you are.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#66 of 107 Old 11-18-2007, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
I wish we had more room in our siggys. Right now my focus is the holiday helper. Normally my siggy has links to pics of my kids. I used to have a ton of smileys but I got tired of looking at them.
I do often wonder, when people either don't have a signature or don't specify, what their stance is on a lot of things.
To help clarify, the person who sparked my interest had a line of pro-breastfeeding, anti spanking, pro this anti that, you know, all the typical stuff on here. It was just anti circ that was very conspiciously missing. That's why I was wondering.

I can totally understand not being able to fit in all the smilies you want in your siggy, given the 2 line limit and smiley limit.

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
#67 of 107 Old 11-18-2007, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheacoby View Post
Your sig is very moving. I don't think you will get any hate mail.
It takes a very strong mama to admit what you are.
Agreed .

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
#68 of 107 Old 11-18-2007, 03:36 AM

I have a 1 month old and he is intact. It's in my sig. (though I didn't remember that).

I'd love to have an intact smilie, rather than a "no circ" one. Intact seems more like a statement of my own beliefs/fact about my family, whereas the no circ ones seem more like position/advocacy/political statements. I'd like my sig to be more personal I guess. Of course, I dunno how one would make an appropriate intact smilie...

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#69 of 107 Old 11-18-2007, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoninBeGonin View Post
Do you ever read a post and notice that someone has a boy, then read their siggy and notice that it says nothing about being anti-circ, and then just wonder how they feel about it? I do that all the time. I'm talking only about members who I'm confident are not Jewish or Muslim, like there are clues in the post such as they celebrate Christmas or go to Church, etc.

Anyone else do that, then just feel sort of "funny" when there is no anti-circ message in the siggy?

I don't have an anti-circ message in my siggy, and both my boys are intact. Just to satisfy your curiousity .
#70 of 107 Old 11-18-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:

(emphasis mine)

This is why I think its imperative that every MDC family has 'no-circ' in their siggies.

Peace,
FW
#71 of 107 Old 11-18-2007, 10:38 PM

Don't have it in my siggy and my boy is intact. I didn't know much about the circ issues because most people I know do it. I just decided that I will let DS decide when he is older. My husband got cut when he was in his 20's (before I meet him). He said his skin was too tight? and it use to hurt him but he never had insurance growing up to do it.

I still have to do some research.
#72 of 107 Old 11-18-2007, 10:56 PM

very interesting.

i tried the laundry list of ap/nfl signature once and it just felt kind of braggy/"look i really do fit in here, i swear" to me.

this thread makes me think though.

and i do think my signature is in need of some updating, so off i go!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#73 of 107 Old 11-19-2007, 03:33 AM

My siggy changes as I get bored. I shoved them all on there just for the sheer joy of doing so I had the little no circ guy up there before I knew (or even thought) I was having a boy.

I do wonder. I wonder whether I am on MDC or not. I worry all the time.
#74 of 107 Old 11-19-2007, 04:31 AM

oops, misread a post... n/m

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#75 of 107 Old 11-19-2007, 04:47 AM

I browsed through the comments and didn't notice my perspective so I will share. I have 3 intact teenage sons. I don't put that in my sig because I feel that it would be a violation of their privacy.

Blessings,

~Traci, wife to DH 4-88. Mom to 3 homebirthed sons, 22,20&17

The Blue Door Farmhouse & traci.mymomentis.biz

#76 of 107 Old 11-19-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
(emphasis mine)

This is why I think its imperative that every MDC family has 'no-circ' in their siggies.

Peace,
FW
I agree completely. And this holds even for parents who circd before learning the truth.
#77 of 107 Old 11-19-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidris View Post
I don't have a son, but even if I did I doubt I would use the nocirc icon. Simply because circ is, to me, such an odd concept and far removed from my world. It's not like I would feel the need to include an icon against cutting off hands either

But I understand Americans have a different reality.
: I just didn't feel right about it, because I didn't have a fight to not circ my son... under 1% of boys in my province are being circ'd and in order to have it done you need to arrange it in advance and pay 300$ out of pocket. It was a non-issue for me and my son. I wouldn't have ever done it, but it was easier here.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#78 of 107 Old 11-19-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post
A siggie doesn't make anyone "MDC". We can't be too MDC or not enough MDC, either. And only YOU can define what MDC/NFL means to you.
I'm confused..
The OP asked if you look at siggies and see someone is having a boy if you wonder. And I say yes, I do wonder, but I wonder whether I am on MDC or not (as in, I wonder every time I see a pregnant woman, every time a friend of mine announces she is having a boy, etc).
#79 of 107 Old 11-19-2007, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i dont really read siggies all the time i dont think of it when i am here(well i didnt but now i will ) but day to day i think it all the time. see pg woman wonder if she will cut her boy. little baby wonder if he is whole. i dont do it...ect... it just pops in my head
#80 of 107 Old 11-20-2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organicavocado View Post
I'm confused..
The OP asked if you look at siggies and see someone is having a boy if you wonder. And I say yes, I do wonder, but I wonder whether I am on MDC or not (as in, I wonder every time I see a pregnant woman, every time a friend of mine announces she is having a boy, etc).

Ooops, I totally read it as " i wonder whether I am MDC or not"... I'm so sorry! I totally missed the "on".

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#81 of 107 Old 11-20-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post
Ooops, I totally read it as " i wonder whether I am MDC or not"... I'm so sorry! I totally missed the "on".

Jessica
OH lmao okay. I kept reading it like, "Wait, what?" thinking I had pregnancy brain and just. wasnt. getting it.
#82 of 107 Old 11-20-2007, 01:11 AM

oh 'pishaw!
I was anticirc while some of you ladies were still in your training bras! I don't need a stinking smilie to advertise that. I agree that I don't need a laundry list of smilies to pass some kind of MDC test.
#83 of 107 Old 11-20-2007, 03:01 AM

Antonin,

Don't discount us Jewish/Muslim mommas. I know a greater percent of Christians who circ IRL than my Jewish friends. I'm Jewish and will not circ, and am loud and proud about it - despite not having it in my sig.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#84 of 107 Old 11-20-2007, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Antonin,

Don't discount us Jewish/Muslim mommas. I know a greater percent of Christians who circ IRL than my Jewish friends. I'm Jewish and will not circ, and am loud and proud about it - despite not having it in my sig.
That reminds me, I wondered about the siggies with " Save the Carrots" Something like that anyways. I see them all the time in the Jewish signature. I've wondered if it was a Jewish anti-circ message. Call me crazy but its what I think of every time I see it.
#85 of 107 Old 11-20-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
That reminds me, I wondered about the siggies with " Save the Carrots" Something like that anyways. I see them all the time in the Jewish signature. I've wondered if it was a Jewish anti-circ message. Call me crazy but its what I think of every time I see it.
That is crazy--I think sometimes a carrot is just a carrot. It is not us against them, and when you get into that kind mentality that is when religious prejudices start.
#86 of 107 Old 11-20-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
That is crazy--I think sometimes a carrot is just a carrot. It is not us against them, and when you get into that kind mentality that is when religious prejudices start.
I'm speechless...

Why in the world would I be prejudice against someone who chooses not to circ? I know a lot of Jewish Parents who don't circ.
Quote:
When you get into that kind mentality that is when religious prejudices start.
Wondering about a religion is how prejudices starts????:
#87 of 107 Old 11-21-2007, 01:47 AM

I've been thinking of putting the no-circ smilie in my sig ever since I first learned that RIC exists in the US. I would like to, but then I start thinking and then I wuss out for a couple of reasons.

1. I'm not in the US, and the issue isn't something I have had/will have to personally face. In conversations with pro-circ Americans I've been told I shouldn't have an opinion on something I don't have to deal with myself. I disagree (not to mention that I find it hilariously hypocritical, what with the US playing world police and "solving" other countries' problems all the time), but I don't want to get into that argument again.

2. I don't have children. I've been told in circ debates that I have too much interest in kids' genitals when I don't even have any of my own. Basically implying that I'm a complete perv. Again, I find that argument ridiculous as I see RIC as a human rights issue, but I don't want to get into that argument either.

I do have the pink/blue ribbon in my sig, but I think it's more well known in the pg/infant loss sense (which is the reason I first put it there). I'm still kind of on the fence about putting the no-circ guy there.
#88 of 107 Old 11-21-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
oh 'pishaw!
I was anticirc while some of you ladies were still in your training bras! I don't need a stinking smilie to advertise that. I agree that I don't need a laundry list of smilies to pass some kind of MDC test.
Well now, since this isn't the first time this has been said, whats saying having a sig like mine (well, like it is this very second, it changes all the time) was put there to "try to fit in"? I came to MDC because I couldn't find anywhere else that thought the way I do, I didn't come here and immediately start bending over backwards to fit into something I don't, or didn't, believe in. IDK about everyone else with any little icon in their sig, but mine has ranged anywhere from the seizuriffic sig it is now to nothing at all, just depending on my mood. I'll toss up anti circ, or pro breastfeeding slogans now and then if I'm being affected by either in my life and feel like reaching out a little, or just be silly, etc etc. It doesn't change to please another soul other than mine.

So I guess not only do some people wonder about the circ issue, but they also wonder about people's justifications for what they put in their sig. I guess everybody is wondering about everything.
#89 of 107 Old 11-21-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoninBeGonin View Post
Do you ever read a post and notice that someone has a boy, then read their siggy and notice that it says nothing about being anti-circ, and then just wonder how they feel about it? I do that all the time. I'm talking only about members who I'm confident are not Jewish or Muslim, like there are clues in the post such as they celebrate Christmas or go to Church, etc.

Anyone else do that, then just feel sort of "funny" when there is no anti-circ message in the siggy?
I think you are just looking to feel bad.

I have three sons and am 100% anti circ. One Hundred Percent. Except for the very rare medical indication.

I have noting in my siggy.

Don't worry so much.
#90 of 107 Old 11-21-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:

: what else does it stand for?
That blue and pink ribbon is typically used for pregnancy/infant loss. I don't think that a lot of people recognize it as genital integrity.

Mama to Aeden, : my little NICU grad and Conner and Liam () my precious twins. is due mid April!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page