Do you ever read siggies and wonder... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 107 Old 11-09-2007, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Do you ever read a post and notice that someone has a boy, then read their siggy and notice that it says nothing about being anti-circ, and then just wonder how they feel about it? I do that all the time. I'm talking only about members who I'm confident are not Jewish or Muslim, like there are clues in the post such as they celebrate Christmas or go to Church, etc.

Anyone else do that, then just feel sort of "funny" when there is no anti-circ message in the siggy?

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 107 Old 11-09-2007, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Honestly, I find that line of thinking offensive. I don't use my signature to promote my personal beliefs or convictions. I celebrate Christmas, go to church regularly, and my son is intact (the first male in several generations on both sides of the family).

It really isn't my place to make assumptions and judgements about others' decisions based on signatures. If you want yours to proclaim your beliefs to the MDC community - great!

My signature is there b/c my DS likes the animated smilies and I picked ones that were cute. We don't even have a dog but he loves that one so I leave it on there.
#3 of 107 Old 11-09-2007, 08:11 PM

Yea, I don't really put that in my sig either, and doubt I ever will. We UC and breastfeed, but I don't have that in there either...
#4 of 107 Old 11-09-2007, 08:13 PM

I am very anti-circ and my son is intact. I don't find the need to use the anti-circ, homebirth, UC, breastfeeding, etc, etc, etc smilies in my signature. Really I think you are reading more into it than there is!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#5 of 107 Old 11-09-2007, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
Really I think you are reading more into it than there is!

Well that's sensible. I was just wondering.

Geez, Natsuki, take a chill pill .

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
#6 of 107 Old 11-09-2007, 08:37 PM

This is what I was saying on another thread...

I don't feel any need at all to espouse my parenting beliefs in my siggie. I'm here on MDC for pete's sake! Everyone can feel safe in knowing that I believe in all the silly siggie smilies here, or at least I'm sensitive to them...I'm not on some other mainstream board where I would have to defend my choices and advocate for them. I'll tell you one thing: if I did believe in circ I sure as hell would never come around here at all! I'd be way too defensive...
#7 of 107 Old 11-09-2007, 09:09 PM

I definatly do. I cant help it anti circ is a huge part of my life and I do wonder when I dont see any no circ in someones siggy. I do NOT automaticly assume that the person did circ but I do wonder. Nothing wrong with that at all.

The OP question in no way said she thought the boy was circed if it wasnt there she said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoninBeGonin
and then just wonder how they feel about it?
I think a few of the responces were a bit overkill.

When you know about circ, at least for me, I wonder how others feel about it as well. Just like I wonder if they bfed when no bfing is mentioned. It is human nature.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#8 of 107 Old 11-09-2007, 09:09 PM

she didnt say you had to, or were awful if you didnt, she asked if anyone else saw a sig and wondered. yikes!

and to answer yeah i wonder, i just tell myself since they are on mdc at all there is a big chance their son is intact and move on. but i do wonder, and i dont at all see whats so offensive about wondering about anything, its not like we make a list and say "oh ill not reply to that poster because they dont proudly display "insert whatever parenting philosophy or whatever" in their sig"
#9 of 107 Old 11-09-2007, 09:11 PM

Another thing having the anti circ smiley in siggys has made many a new member research circ and it has changed their mind about it so to me it is important to have it there. But if you dont want it there then by all means dont put it. But keep in mind people do read the siggy's and they do make people think sometimes.

IMO Circ is miles away from being a "parenting belief". It is a human rights issue. Some things are just wrong no matter how you look at them. Very few issues in life are black and white but circ is definatly one that is.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#10 of 107 Old 11-09-2007, 09:25 PM

Yes, I do briefly wonder.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#11 of 107 Old 11-09-2007, 09:28 PM

I don't have a son, but even if I did I doubt I would use the nocirc icon. Simply because circ is, to me, such an odd concept and far removed from my world. It's not like I would feel the need to include an icon against cutting off hands either

But I understand Americans have a different reality.

nothing more to say I guess :
#12 of 107 Old 11-09-2007, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I don't have it in my sig, but I have 3 intact boys. So now you don't have to wonder. I usually change my sig around, and put what I am thinking about the most at the moment. I think if that is something that you are very passionate about, that it is something very normal to wonder about. I don't think that the OP was saying that anyone who doesn't have an intact smiley in their sig is bad or pro-circ, she just wonders. I wonder a lot of things about a lot of people on MDC! :

#13 of 107 Old 11-09-2007, 10:09 PM

I don't think about it on MDC. I just assume the best. In fact I am happy to see them at all. Anywhere else it might offend people and we wouldn't want that!
#14 of 107 Old 11-09-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by race_kelly View Post
I don't think that the OP was saying that anyone who doesn't have an intact smiley in their sig is bad or pro-circ, she just wonders. I wonder a lot of things about a lot of people on MDC! :
:

#15 of 107 Old 11-09-2007, 10:12 PM

It's not in my siggie. If I had a smilie in my siggie for each of the natural parenting things I do/believe in, that's all I would have room for.

Also, I know it may seem an odd view but I feel that saying "no circ" is promoting circ in a way. ("No longer give your strength to that which you wish to be free from.") It's giving energy to the cause of circumcision, which is not what I want. If there were a smilie that said "intactness" or "genital integrity" (yeah, try fitting that on a smilie!) then I'd be more likely to include it. But there isn't, and I don't want to take up half of my signature to address the issue, at least, not right now. I would consider it.

I really respect those of you who do use half or all of your signatures to promote genital integrity. THANK YOU.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#16 of 107 Old 11-09-2007, 10:19 PM

two intact kids here . I just find that the smilies are kinda limiting. Circumcision is just not a huge issue to us and there's so many other things I would say about my kids besides what their body's look like yk?
#17 of 107 Old 11-09-2007, 10:22 PM

It's on my mind a lot becuase I'm so active in the issue, so lots of things make me wonder!

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#18 of 107 Old 11-09-2007, 10:23 PM

Okay, I caved-- new siggie. Cute quote from DS gone.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#19 of 107 Old 11-09-2007, 11:24 PM

Never really thought about it that much, to tell you the truth. I put mine on my sig's because maybe others on this website might see it and look into it more.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#20 of 107 Old 11-09-2007, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's not in my siggy either and my son is intact.

Desiree

#21 of 107 Old 11-09-2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post

Also, I know it may seem an odd view but I feel that saying "no circ" is promoting circ in a way. ("No longer give your strength to that which you wish to be free from.") It's giving energy to the cause of circumcision, which is not what I want. If there were a smilie that said "intactness" or "genital integrity" (yeah, try fitting that on a smilie!) then I'd be more likely to include it. But there isn't, and I don't want to take up half of my signature to address the issue, at least, not right now. I would consider it.
It's not odd to me! This is why I left the smiley out of my sig until just a couple days ago. Now I'm having second thoughts again.
#22 of 107 Old 11-09-2007, 11:53 PM

I sometimes feel curious about how people feel about RIC (in general) but I don't tend to assume anything in particular if a person doesn't have an anti-circ quote, link, or smiley in their siggy. In making a siggy, we have such a small space to describe ourselves that there might be a lot of other things - like kid's ages, homebirth, breastfeeding, vax, etc. - that we may want to talk about, and we may run out of room. And some people who are inactivists may choose not to advertise it in the siggy for various reasons.
#23 of 107 Old 11-10-2007, 12:01 AM

The main purpose of the no circ smiley to me is NOT to advertise that my ds is intact I put it there so that it may point someone in the direction of CAC so that they can learn the truth and just possibly save a boy from it.

That is why I think it is so important to have it. You never know who might see it and it could very well be the start of their research and decision not to circ.

#24 of 107 Old 11-10-2007, 12:09 AM

OP - the thought has crossed my mind once or twice. Typically, if a no circ smiley is not there, I don't think about it unless their post makes me question their stance on the issue. Then, I will check to see if they give me any clues w/ their sig.

I don't even have any boys. My sig smiley is for intactivism purposes.
#25 of 107 Old 11-10-2007, 01:03 AM

I wondered that too. I like to think every MDC family opposes circumcision. Sadly a few don't. When I don't see a nocirc smiley in the siggy, I wonder if they're the few that believe in circumcision.

I think every siggy should have a nocirc siggy, imo... Especially those who oppose circumcision because it'll plant seeds into the fence sitters.
#26 of 107 Old 11-10-2007, 01:15 AM

I don't. I am adamantly and zealously against *all* non-medical circumcision.
I just figure, we have two lines, and you can't fit every important cause in there -- there's a lot I'm leaving out besides circ. I also find that when somebody has eight zillion smilies in their siggy I tend not to pay attention to what it says. : So I like to keep mine fairly simple.

I tell you when I do wonder though -- when people come to MDC for a specific interest, like say UC, or a DDC, or just like to hang out on TAO, etc., and don't seem to be involved anywhere else. I wonder if they're into natural parenting practices in general.
#27 of 107 Old 11-10-2007, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2crazykids View Post
I'm here on MDC for pete's sake! Everyone can feel safe in knowing that I believe in all the silly siggie smilies here
If only that were true.....
#28 of 107 Old 11-10-2007, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wish we had more room in our siggys. Right now my focus is the holiday helper. Normally my siggy has links to pics of my kids. I used to have a ton of smileys but I got tired of looking at them.
I do often wonder, when people either don't have a signature or don't specify, what their stance is on a lot of things.
#29 of 107 Old 11-10-2007, 01:59 AM

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
The main purpose of the no circ smiley to me is NOT to advertise that my ds is intact I put it there so that it may point someone in the direction of CAC so that they can learn the truth and just possibly save a boy from it.

That is why I think it is so important to have it. You never know who might see it and it could very well be the start of their research and decision not to circ.
:

I also wonder if i dont see it because sometimes people may find mdc after their child(ren) are born and may not have gotten much information on the issue.

so yes i wonder, sometimes.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#30 of 107 Old 11-10-2007, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post

Actually we do have the Genital Intergrity ribbon :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page