Not urinating after circumcision - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so sad to write this as I wasn't able to save my best friend's baby boy from getting circumcised. I was her doula and we discussed circumcision almost daily for the last 9 months. I made her read every single article on the subject, watch every single graphic video, etc, etc and prayed that she wouldn't do it after she saw how perfect he was after birth. I had written about her in a previous post asking for help:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...10#post9695910

I was with her last night at the hospital when she signed the consent form. The nurse told her if they did it to make sure he peed before they took him home from the hospital. She didn't say why exactly this was, but she said that a lot of nurses don't tell the parents this, but that she was "old school" and that in her experience it was very important that they make sure he urinate before leaving the hospital. After the nurse left the room with the consent form and I was getting ready to leave, my friend's boyfriend/baby's father said that he didn't really want to do it any more (the circumsion)! My mouth almost hit the floor when I heard this and I turned around to try and persuade him not to. I had never talked to him about it all all (only to my friend) since she had begged my not to bring up the topic to him since it always made him get super angry and storm out. So I threw out a bunch of facts and info-- that their son was perfect the way he was, the rates in CA are only 28% and dropping yearly, they can always come back and get in done later, that it may affect breastfeeding (and they were already having breastfeeding challenges), that complications do occur such as hemorrage, etc, and that they shouldn't do it if they had any doubts at all (which it sounded like they did). I basically just told him several times to just not do it.

I talked to my friend today though and learned that they did go through with it. He was circumcised at 9am this morning and they were discharged at 1pm. No one ever mentioned to them again the part about making sure he had urinated before going home. I talked to my friend today and I didn't want to hear a thing about the circ since thinking about it makes me so sad and makes me want to vomit at the same time. I couldn't even bring myself to say the word circumsion to her. But, I just talked to her on the phone again and she says the baby has not peed since before his circ. It's been 15 HOURS. I did a quick google search while talking to her and most websites (including the AAP) said to call the pediatrician immediately if they don't urinate within 6-8 hours. I did find two other sites that said 12 hours and one site that said 18 hours. I told her she should call the doctor. They were just about to go to bed so they said they'd talk about it and then decide. She thinks if she calls they'll tell her to bring the baby in and she just wants to go to sleep! I told her to call me back if she ends up calling. Then I did some more googling and read that urinary retention after circumcision is an often overlooked complication that can lead to kidney failure! : I feel so sad for their baby right now. I wish I could have saved him. Does anyone else know anything about urinary retention after circumcision and how exactly the circ leads to this complication. Is it because the urethra swells shut or something? I really couldn't find much info on it.

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
Mom to Conner (8/19/03) and Parker (5/23/09)::::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 06:33 AM

I would imagine the circ causes swelling and makes the urethra swell so bad urine cant pass. Obviously this mama is not thinking clearly or she would be worried about him not peeing.

I am so sorry this happened to the baby and I hope all is well with him. If he dosnt urinate his kidneys could be damaged along with his bladder possibly rupturing.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 06:40 AM

you need to keep calling her and let her know this is an emergency situation, who cares about sleeping if your child gets kidney damage because you didnt think it was important enough.
#4 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 08:07 AM

You need to make sure that baby gets to an ER right NOW. That's an emergency, a baby died in Canada recently thanks to urine retention - caused by a plastibell ring.

Her baby is in DANGER how can she possibly want to go to sleep, what's the matter with the woman?
#5 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 11:04 AM

Please keep us updated, I hope they went to the ER :

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#6 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 01:22 PM

I would call no matter what time of the day or night and INSIST they get to an ER.

This is a life- and health-threatening emergency. Period. And these parents are risking their son's life.

I'm sorry, but they don't sound like people who are responsible enough to have a baby in the first place. :

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#7 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
I'm sorry, but they don't sound like people who are responsible enough to have a baby in the first place. :
:
#8 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 01:57 PM

I hope the baby has been looked at by now and he is okay. Any update?

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#9 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 02:04 PM

Sorry for that sweet baby.
Praying he heals from this experience and is okay.
#10 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 02:13 PM

Wow. Urine retention is a new one. :::

I feel so sorry for that little boy.
#11 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papai View Post
Wow. Urine retention is a new one. :::

I feel so sorry for that little boy.
Fleiss's book says it is a known complication and I googled "circumcision urine retention" and even found a few studies on it.

Guess I will be adding that one to the risk list :

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#12 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 03:46 PM

I've been thinking of this poor little boy all day...I Hope he is ok, I cant get him outta my head

#13 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 04:04 PM

I can't say anything cause I have nothing nice to say
#14 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
I've been thinking of this poor little boy all day...I Hope he is ok, I cant get him outta my head
me too :
#15 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 04:51 PM

This needs to be outlawed! And that doctor put in Jail!!! Both parents were second guessing it. Neither really wanted to do this!!! WHY IN THE WORLD DID THEY GO THROUGH WITH IT??? The pressure from Doctors must be enormously powerful! And our society breaks back bones early on in childhood so that social conformity is easier to maintain. Who profits from that?
#16 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

He peed-- at the 17 1/2 hour mark! They decided to give him 18 hours (since that's what one website said) before calling the doctor. I would have called a lot sooner though since most of the websites (including the AAP and a pediatric urology site) said 6-8 hours.

Thanks everyone. I was quite worried for him as well.

#17 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 05:43 PM

at least he peed I guess...... I wish they had gone sooner though. I hope no long term damage has been done.
#18 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 05:57 PM

Poor baby!
#19 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 06:10 PM

The AAP says that not having enough wet diapers is cause for major concern and the child should be seen by a doctor. This baby definitely qualifies!!!!!! I have a book open right here from the AAP and it says that less than 6 wet diapers a day is a cause for concern and the baby should be seen!

If it isn't from the circumcision, he may not be getting enough food or something. He could be dehydrated. Just not good at all

#20 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
If it isn't from the circumcision, he may not be getting enough food or something. He could be dehydrated. Just not good at all
That's what I was thinking. He might not be nursing because of the trauma.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#21 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
I can't say anything cause I have nothing nice to say
Yeah that. ::

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
#22 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 08:12 PM

These poor innocent babies.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#23 of 34 Old 11-11-2007, 09:27 PM

: Poor little guy. Maybe he was dehydrated a bit from not eating afterwards? It infuriated me that the mom seemed a little more concerned about getting her sleep than taking her baby to the doctor. Well, thank goodness he peed and everything is OK (as OK as it's going to be anyway.)
#24 of 34 Old 11-12-2007, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

It really is sad. I really thought I could get through to her and she wouldn't end up doing it. We have seriousely battled this out for the last 9 months. I really don't think I could have done anything else. I even went out and ordered her the book "Sex As Nature Intended" thinking it would help change her mind. She even watched every single graphic circ video out there. It just came down to "doing what her boyfriend wanted" (although he refused to even talk about it with her or research anything) in order to avoid making waves in their relationship. Poor baby.

I am quite happy to say though that in the last year, as a doula and a nanny, I've worked with 14 families who had baby boys under the age of two and only 4 out of the 14 boys were circumcised. It's just devastating that my best friend's baby ended being in the circumcised group.

#25 of 34 Old 11-12-2007, 07:40 AM

How has this affected your friendship with her?

My cousin who I have always been close to is pg. We dont know the gender and I gave her all the research and I dont know what she will decide to do. But honestly I dont know if I could stay close to her if she decides to circ.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#26 of 34 Old 11-12-2007, 08:42 PM

WTF is her problem? I can't believe she didn't at least, call the Dr and talk to them about the baby not urinating and it had been over 12 hours. :

*censoring the rest of my UA violation response*

#27 of 34 Old 11-12-2007, 08:52 PM

Poor baby. I do hope that there was no long-term damage done.

Some people

Mamma to 3! nurslings Emma (4) Daniel (3) and our new baby Beth! 10/10/09
#28 of 34 Old 11-12-2007, 08:57 PM

Good grief. I have nothing to say that won't violate the UA.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#29 of 34 Old 11-12-2007, 08:57 PM

Please advise her to take note of the colour of the baby's urine. It should be clear. It's a good way to guage the level of dehydration. This could be a result of the circ. but it could also be due to her breastfeeding difficulties and the baby could be dehydrated. I hope she gets on top of things! Wet diaper checks are pretty important at this stage in the newborn's life.
#30 of 34 Old 11-13-2007, 02:51 AM

:

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page