"They circumcised my son on the delivery table" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was reading a birth story today. The woman gave birth in 1976 and was an RN at the time. She talked about the birth (which is a rant in and of itself), then at the end mentioned that her son was born, they circumcised him RIGHT THERE ON THE DELIVERY TABLE, then took him out to her mother.

I've only heard of this once before, where a baby was taken right from the mother (her body, not her arms!) to the warmer and the OB immediately walked over and circumcised him before leaving. Was this a common practice in the 70's? I can't believe that a minutes-old baby would be circumcised, not even old enough for the second Apgar!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#2 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sickening. :

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
#3 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 01:11 AM

Poor baby and mama.

Mother to one wild and crazy boy 12/29/2002.
Midwife, Homeschool Educator and Crafter.
#4 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 01:18 AM

I'm not sure, but when my MIL talked about her labor and delivery she made some off handed comment about how "They didn't even circumcise him until I asked!"... Like it should have been standard procedure.

Nursing bras should not double as birth control!
#5 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 01:29 AM

my dh was circ'ed immediately after birth. so were both his brothers. :-( His mother wasn't even consulted. 1940's and 50's. One could think there's no where but up left to go...

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#6 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 01:43 AM

****** RL, Snyder DC. Immediate circumcision of the newborn male. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 1953:65(1):1-11.

"It is the purpose of this paper to endorse a possibly more suitable time to perform this operation, immediately after the birth of the newborn."

From a list of 9 reasons given in support of immediate circumcision:

"Convenience: Prior to this new plan the circumcisions were performed between the third and seventh days and a line-up on Sunday mornings was routine. It meant an extra trip hospital trip, a good deal of uncomfortable delay between cases, and the resulting traffic problem in the birth rooms was prodigious. Under the present regime, the obstetrician finishes his episiotomy, walks across the hall and circumcises the infant, and is finished with the whole business. The time thus saved for both the physician and the nursing staff is considerable."

"Stimulation of the baby: Frequently following a general anesthetic the newborn is depressed and various stimulants are employed; circumcision unfailingly produces an excellent response in a sleepy baby."

"Pain: Although the pain sense is present at birth, it is much less intense than in later infancy."

Conclusions: "The convenience and time saving afforded both physicians and nurses are considerable; we have not been able to find a doctor who would consider doing it at any other time. The mother signs the circumcision permit when she is admitted to the labor room, the doctor finishs the operation after he has completed his delivery, there is no conflict in the scheduling of cases, and no babies are forgotten and left uncircumcised.

"During 1950 there were 2480 immediate circumcision performed in Akron City Hospital with no demonstrable ill effect on the weight curve, temperature, feeding, healing process, or general well-being of the infants... For these reasons, as well as those of economy, convenience, safety, rapidity of healing, and close hospital observation we feel that immediate circumcision of the newborn male infant might well be more universally adopted."

Gillian
#7 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glongley View Post
****** RL, Snyder DC. Immediate circumcision of the newborn male. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 1953:65(1):1-11.

"It is the purpose of this paper to endorse a possibly more suitable time to perform this operation, immediately after the birth of the newborn."

From a list of 9 reasons given in support of immediate circumcision:

"Convenience: Prior to this new plan the circumcisions were performed between the third and seventh days and a line-up on Sunday mornings was routine. It meant an extra trip hospital trip, a good deal of uncomfortable delay between cases, and the resulting traffic problem in the birth rooms was prodigious. Under the present regime, the obstetrician finishes his episiotomy, walks across the hall and circumcises the infant, and is finished with the whole business. The time thus saved for both the physician and the nursing staff is considerable."

"Stimulation of the baby: Frequently following a general anesthetic the newborn is depressed and various stimulants are employed; circumcision unfailingly produces an excellent response in a sleepy baby."

"Pain: Although the pain sense is present at birth, it is much less intense than in later infancy."

Conclusions: "The convenience and time saving afforded both physicians and nurses are considerable; we have not been able to find a doctor who would consider doing it at any other time. The mother signs the circumcision permit when she is admitted to the labor room, the doctor finishs the operation after he has completed his delivery, there is no conflict in the scheduling of cases, and no babies are forgotten and left uncircumcised.

"During 1950 there were 2480 immediate circumcision performed in Akron City Hospital with no demonstrable ill effect on the weight curve, temperature, feeding, healing process, or general well-being of the infants... For these reasons, as well as those of economy, convenience, safety, rapidity of healing, and close hospital observation we feel that immediate circumcision of the newborn male infant might well be more universally adopted."

Gillian

This makes me want to cry and vomit. All at the same time. If only they knew how terribly that may have perpetuated a vicious cycle. :

Nursing bras should not double as birth control!
#8 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 02:29 AM

I posted some time back a story from a dr who reported a surgeon doing the circumcision "free hand". In other words, he just took a scalpel, wrenched the little prepuce way out and whacked at it. Her point was that there were a lot of boys in that town with lopsided circumcisions. I agree, it's enough to make you throw up.
#9 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 03:10 AM

#10 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 03:33 AM

Thats sad. Welcome to the world, snip! :
#11 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 05:09 AM

:
#12 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christifav View Post
:
:

#13 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:

there is no conflict in the scheduling of cases, and no babies are forgotten and left uncircumcised.
Yeah, wouldn't want to forget one! That could be a car payment right there, leaving the hospital unscathed.

Quote:
"During 1950 there were 2480 immediate circumcision performed in Akron City Hospital with no demonstrable ill effect on the weight curve, temperature, feeding, healing process, or general well-being of the infants...
No ill effects except they had an unnecessary amputation!! I guess a raw, seeping, oozing wound in your diaper getting stung every time you pee is not an ill effect either.

Thanks for posting that, Gillian, it is more proof that all hospital routines are set up for the convenience of the doctors, not the patients' best interests. Ugh.

Jen
#14 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#15 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 02:37 PM

Wow, that's terrible. :

I'm not sure how it went with my partner, but he was born in 1965 and adopted at 6 weeks. But, I'm sure it wasn't far off from these descriptions.
#16 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 02:46 PM

In the hospital I was born at in the early 80's, they did the circs right after birth in the delivery rooms. They told my mom they'd do it then if I came out a boy, & according to my dad, he knew I was a girl while he waited outside in the waiting area because the crying from my mom's delivery room wasn't the same as others who had boys. It didn't get "more high pitched" according to him.
#17 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 05:41 PM

Sadly, I'm not surprised. I remember hearing a story from that time period of a boy being born breech & being circumcised even before his head was born. :

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#18 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Sadly, I'm not surprised. I remember hearing a story from that time period of a boy being born breech & being circumcised even before his head was born.
That is truly sick. :

#19 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post
Sadly, I'm not surprised. I remember hearing a story from that time period of a boy being born breech & being circumcised even before his head was born. :
Sounds like a circ urban legend to me. Docs have to keep breech babies' bodies covered before the head comes out because the cold air will make them take a breath. If cold air is enough of a shock to make them breathe, certainly the pain of a circ would cause them to take a breath. If they breathe before their head's out, they can breathe in amniotic fluid.

Not to mention the fact that most (not all) breech babies will come out with their genitals facing the floor if the mother's on her back. That would make it pretty difficult for the doc to get to their penis to cut it.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#20 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 06:14 PM

I know that with my DH and BIL, my ILs discussed it in advance because my MIL made the whole big thing about "after we discussed it I decided that I would let my husband decide, because you know the man should decide things like this" : DH was not circumcised at birth because he had hypospadias, but BIL was pretty much right away.
#21 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
Sounds like a circ urban legend to me. Docs have to keep breech babies' bodies covered before the head comes out because the cold air will make them take a breath. If cold air is enough of a shock to make them breathe, certainly the pain of a circ would cause them to take a breath. If they breathe before their head's out, they can breathe in amniotic fluid.

Not to mention the fact that most (not all) breech babies will come out with their genitals facing the floor if the mother's on her back. That would make it pretty difficult for the doc to get to their penis to cut it.
I sure hope it's an urban legend! Holy crow! Never mind making sure the baby's born alive, just make sure you circumscise him! Geez!

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#22 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Well that's one way to make sure you don't hear him screaming...
#23 of 41 Old 11-23-2007, 07:44 PM

This might explain why my MIL thinks her sons are intact (they aren't.) BIL was born in 76 and dh in 81. I doubt would have noticed. Hmmm.

Mama of three.

#24 of 41 Old 11-24-2007, 12:24 PM

I asked my Mom when my brother was circumcised and she indicated it was right there in the delivery room after he was born. I'm guessing no pain relief either. This was 1976 in Michigan.
#25 of 41 Old 11-24-2007, 12:29 PM

Geez! : My boys were circed right before discharge...bad enough but, man...

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#26 of 41 Old 11-24-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I just threw up a little in my throat.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#27 of 41 Old 11-24-2007, 01:25 PM

It's disgusting at any time on an unconsenting person but geez. What a screwed up culture we live in. :
#28 of 41 Old 11-24-2007, 01:32 PM

Gosh, to think this probably happened to my poor husband as a baby. I had no idea that they did it so soon back then. Absolutely horrific. I guess I'm glad I was a girl!!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#29 of 41 Old 11-24-2007, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
Gosh, to think this probably happened to my poor husband as a baby. I had no idea that they did it so soon back then. Absolutely horrific. I guess I'm glad I was a girl!!
Me, too.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#30 of 41 Old 11-24-2007, 01:46 PM

This is shocking! Definitely sheds light on the mistaken idea that "health" is the primary concern in American hospitals. :cry:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page