Info for the 2008 March For Genital Integrity is available!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 03-28-2008, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
How often do they have this? I'll have to make sure I can make it next time.
They have it this time every year.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#32 of 51 Old 03-28-2008, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're leaving today - I hope to see a lot of people there!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#33 of 51 Old 03-28-2008, 12:17 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Cheering you all on!!

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#34 of 51 Old 03-28-2008, 12:31 PM

TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES!!!!

We'll try to make it next year.

Amanda: Christian, wife to musician DH since 2002, mom to intact & vax free "monkey" DS1 since 12/21/06, and "lovey" DS2 5/17/10! WINNER OF THE GOLDEN BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC!
#35 of 51 Old 03-28-2008, 03:00 PM

Do they do this the same time of year every year? Next year I will be there.
#36 of 51 Old 03-29-2008, 01:38 AM

I can't go. I REALLY want to go.

I'm already planning to be there next year!

Please take pictures and let us know how the event goes. I can't wait to hear all about it!
#37 of 51 Old 03-29-2008, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Hello everyone! Just got back from Washington and wanted to report in briefly before I go fall into bed.

I felt today went really well. Almost all the conversations I overheard where very productive and everyone I talked to seemed really open and receptive. Some that stand out in my mind:

-a woman not from the USA (though I dont know where she was from) asking me what circumcision meant, me explaining, and she being horrified (and 10x so when I told her 56% of the boys in the USA get this done to them)

-An intact 15 yr boy whose father is British....he came running up to us and told us it was so ironic that he found this protest since he was trying to convince his sister, who is due in Sept not to circumcise her son (the sister's boyfriend wants it done). We gave him lots of info and he got lots of pictures of our signs and stuff to take home; he left confident he could win her over.

-a couple teenage girls who just asked me what we were all about and why we felt it was a big issue. I talked about all the different reasons people come to intactivism....they learned that boys die from circumcision and about mRSA risk (which really hit home with the one girl since her school was closed due to an outbreak of MRSA last yr). They really got into the human rights side and also I was able to dispel the hygiene and "more painful for adults" myths. I felt confident at the close of our discussion that they would be looking more into the subject.

-a couple who was getting married in a few months that had no opinion but were really receptive to our message and asked for lots of handout materials so they could get involved in spreading the word.

Ill write more tomorrow-- gotta go rest my preggo bod!

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#38 of 51 Old 03-29-2008, 11:21 PM

This is soo cool. We can't go this year but I am going to mark my calender so we can go next year. As home schoolers this is a perfect learning opportunity for my kids as well.
I can't wait to see the pics. Hmmm I wonder if it will be televised. ?If it is could someone psot b/c I never really watch TV (DH kind of hogs it with sports and I'd rather be here) then I can put on the right channel.
How long have the protests taken place? Does it get bigger every year?

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#39 of 51 Old 03-30-2008, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
-An intact 15 yr boy whose father is British....he came running up to us and told us it was so ironic that he found this protest since he was trying to convince his sister, who is due in Sept not to circumcise her son (the sister's boyfriend wants it done). We gave him lots of info and he got lots of pictures of our signs and stuff to take home; he left confident he could win her over.
I overheard this conversation, did his mom ever show up?
#40 of 51 Old 03-30-2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
Not Just Skin / NOCIRC of Maryland and DC will host an informal get-together for intactivists on Saturday evening at Ryan's home in Hyattsville, Maryland. People may arrive starting at 7pm. Ryan will provide some food at 8pm. People may also bring food if they wish.

We will have a flyer with a map and directions at the demonstration on the West Lawn of the Capitol on Saturday.

Jeff Brown
I'm glad to hear Ryan is still running NotJustSkin. He's a great guy.
#41 of 51 Old 03-30-2008, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendal82002 View Post
I overheard this conversation, did his mom ever show up?
Yeah she did! And his other brothers as well...but I didn't get a chance to talk to them.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#42 of 51 Old 03-30-2008, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

One thing that was so wonderful was that there were tons of parents and kids telling us that they either made the decision to leave their children alone or that they, themselves, were intact. Like Dave said, if a group came and there was even one intact boy among them, the whole dynamic of the conversation was changed. I really think we are getting the message out ^_^

#43 of 51 Old 03-30-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
One thing that was so wonderful was that there were tons of parents and kids telling us that they either made the decision to leave their children alone or that they, themselves, were intact.
Wow that is really encouraging. Did they seem to surprise you, meaning American born?

Quote:
Like Dave said, if a group came and there was even one intact boy among them, the whole dynamic of the conversation was changed.
Do you mind elaborating on this Carriebft?

Quote:
I really think we are getting the message out ^_^
Sounds like it.
#44 of 51 Old 03-30-2008, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I was surprised because they were american...schools groups would come up to us and in the groups you found lots if intact boys. I suppose it shouldn't surprise me with the numbers dropping...but it really did since it was just living proof. And they were proud of it and werent worried about announcing it in front of their schoolmates.

On the comment dave made about dynamic-- when you had a group of teens or even adults with no intact guys among them, there was a little defensiveness but also a lot of "so what?" kinda attitude. It seemed like when you got groups that had an intact man/teen in them, the others became curious and there weren't those defensive walls.

#45 of 51 Old 03-30-2008, 10:33 PM

Man, I wish I could have been there. *ahem* DO THEY DO THIS EVERY YEAR - THE SAME TIME OF YEAR? Sorry to yell - but I really want to know. I want to go next year.
#46 of 51 Old 03-30-2008, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah it's about the same time every year. Always around March 30th to commemorate the passage of the FGM act in the USA and to call for men to be protected and then the week after since that's the beginning of Child Abuse prevention month.

Check out the SIC society website-- i think i linked it in the OP, for more info!

#47 of 51 Old 03-31-2008, 12:54 PM

Thank you!!!
#48 of 51 Old 03-31-2008, 10:34 PM

I saw another update on the march from Van Lewis and thought you would enjoy it:
Quote:

I learned some interesting things yesterday at the annual circumcision
protest on the west lawn of the US Capitol building.

A student and a man from Vietnam told me that Vietnam outlawed circumcision of all children a few years ago, due to circumcision mutilations of some boys in a Vietnamese village that required hospitalizations. He is going to email me copies of the law.

A man from Kenya told me that Barack Obama's father was from the Luo tribe in Kenya. This is one of the non-circumcising tribes. Perhaps Obama's father protected him from circumcision when he was born in Hawaii in 1961. I have been wondering about this recently and have had the feeling that he must not have been circumcised. He seems to me to be too cool, calm and collected to have been so heavily traumatized as an infant.

I also spoke for a long time with two intelligent young men who were very
interested in the whole subject in every aspect. Finally, toward the end of
our conversation, I asked them what they do. They smiled and told me they
are hospital administrators in a major Chicago hospital. I said, "You don't
happen to be risk managers, do you?" They laughed and told me that both of
them are. They work together. They told me they would email me for more
information relative to their job of protecting the hospital from risk. They
both realized that circumcising creates major risks for the hospital and for
their jobs.

We are having another very worthwhile time in DC.
#49 of 51 Old 04-01-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhispers View Post
I saw another update on the march from Van Lewis and thought you would enjoy it:
Quote:
A student and a man from Vietnam told me that Vietnam outlawed circumcision of all children a few years ago, due to circumcision mutilations of some boys in a Vietnamese village that required hospitalizations. He is going to email me copies of the law.

It looks like the Vietnamese beat us again! This is great evidence for the pro-circers who keep saying "It's not illegal anywhere in the world." I can't wait to use it on them!

This also reminds me of something else I need to post.

Frank
#50 of 51 Old 04-01-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly Speaking View Post
It looks like the Vietnamese beat us again! This is great evidence for the pro-circers who keep saying "It's not illegal anywhere in the world." I can't wait to use it on them!

This also reminds me of something else I need to post.

Frank
We'll have to try and verify this. Hopefully Van Lewis will get the info from whomever he spoke with and share it.
#51 of 51 Old 04-01-2008, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhispers View Post

I also spoke for a long time with two intelligent young men who were very
interested in the whole subject in every aspect. Finally, toward the end of
our conversation, I asked them what they do. They smiled and told me they
are hospital administrators in a major Chicago hospital. I said, "You don't
happen to be risk managers, do you?" They laughed and told me that both of
them are. They work together. They told me they would email me for more
information relative to their job of protecting the hospital from risk. They
both realized that circumcising creates major risks for the hospital and for
their jobs.
This is wonderful, isn't it???

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page