My husband is dead-set against me - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Natalie, I posted a thread almost exactly like yours about six months ago. My husband was absolutely dead-set on circing our little boy. The mamas here convinced me that I had to be the one to protect my son and place the value of his precious, perfect little body above the feelings of a grown man.

My son is 5 months old and is intact. And you know what? My husband still doesn't like it. He doesn't want to talk about it. He's probably still mad at me. And I've come to the point now where I DON'T CARE if he's mad about it. I did what was right for my defenseless child, and DH is a big boy--he'll get over it. And if he doesn't, oh well. I am so, so glad I didn't give in. Every time I change my baby's diaper, I am so proud of myself for standing my ground and keeping his little body perfect, the way nature intended it to be.

It sounds like you have a happy marriage--your DH is not going to divorce you over this. He will move on and learn to live with it. Just don't sign the consent form. Protect your baby.

Hugs to you, mama. I know it's not easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I also wanted to tell you what happened in my situation when we were in the hospital after having the baby. We hadn't talked at all about circumcision since our last argument, which was about a month before baby's birth, so the issue was still unresolved (in DH's mind, anyway) when we went in to have the baby. When they came to get him to do the circ (because around here, they just assume you're having it done), I just said, "We're not having him circ'ed." When the doctor left the room, DH tried to start up with me about why we needed to do it, etc., and I started bawling and pretty much having a full-on panic attack. DH said, "If it really means that much to you, we won't do it." Little did he know, I already knew we weren't doing it. But I let him think he "let" me make the decision. Later on, our pediatrician came in and basically praised us for not doing it, telling us that it was a completely cosmetic/unnecessary procedure. I think that made DH feel a *little* better, but not much. I mentioned something about it when LO was a month or so old, and DH said, "YOU'RE going to be the one to tell him why he's different from all his friends." That's the only time we've talked about it since then. I'm sure he's still mad about it, but the issue just doesn't come up anymore. He changes the baby's diapers and never says a word about it.

I hope for the same reaction from your DH. Maybe when they actually come in to get that sweet little newborn baby to hurt him, he will soften up and come to your side a little bit. I honestly think that's what made my DH relent--actually being there with our brand new, perfect little baby and thinking about him being taken away to be cut on.
#63 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Good for you for sticking to your guns!!!!

homeschool.gif mama to DS6modifiedartist.gif and DD1fly-by-nursing1.gif
#64 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Banned

Natalie, have you received the info I have emailed you yesterday?

Show him the video of the actual procedure, the pen and teller video. you (without your dh) take a look at the link 10 top ways circ'd sex hurts women and see if you find something that is relavent to your sex life (if so, show it to your dh).
explain him the history of circ (prevention of masturbation). show him the sensitivity studies (published in british magazine of urology). etc.

please keep up updated, we'll try to help as much as we can,
yulia.
#65 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
Natalie, I posted a thread almost exactly like yours about six months ago. My husband was absolutely dead-set on circing our little boy. The mamas here convinced me that I had to be the one to protect my son and place the value of his precious, perfect little body above the feelings of a grown man.

My son is 5 months old and is intact. And you know what? My husband still doesn't like it. He doesn't want to talk about it. He's probably still mad at me. And I've come to the point now where I DON'T CARE if he's mad about it. I did what was right for my defenseless child, and DH is a big boy--he'll get over it. And if he doesn't, oh well. I am so, so glad I didn't give in. Every time I change my baby's diaper, I am so proud of myself for standing my ground and keeping his little body perfect, the way nature intended it to be.
#66 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 01:57 PM

I just thought I'd chime in and suggest talking to your Bradley instructor ahead of time. Ours is very strongly anti-circ and she discusses the pro's and con's in at least a few classes. It might help him to get someone else's perspective.

Also, we're in MA and I don't know anyone, personally, that has circ'd their sons. Plus, my husband (raised in CT) is intact, as are several of his friends.

Good luck.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#67 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 03:44 PM

Your DH needs to respect your instincts and the ultimate role you have as your child's protector. He is not looking at this from an open minded perspective, and not a complete perspective either. He will never know what it is like to have a fully functioning penis (and YES sadly the intact penis does work quite differently than a circumcised one...we know this from experience as well as massive discussion and research--do a search for that on this forum).

If he is like my DH, he will not want to talk about details of circumcision. He won't want to make it personal or even want to know more details about what he has lost. The kind of emotion that knowledge can bring a man is of the intensity that likely he has never experienced before.

The most important thing here is that you protect your son. Your DH may need his time to mull over things...to let the ideas sink in. Once your son is here, he sees how completely NORMAL he looks he may feel differently. The whole pregnancy is more real in general for the woman as she's the one going through all the changes, once the baby is on the outside he will be "real" to him in a way closer to what you're experiencing.

You've already gotten a lot of information from people here, so I'll appeal to the emotional side of you. I know a woman who did not want to circ. Arguments, disagreements....she caved shortly after the birth (I'm sure exhaustion didn't help either). He also had a complication (infection/bleeding/some serious ABX had to be used--they HOPE that he will have a normal sex life as he has a lot of scarring). And, of course, breastfeeding didn't work...the baby did fine before the circ...but then refused to afterwards, and that plus the complications things never resumed. And, now she's a single mom...less than a year after the birth they separated and are now divorced. That the circ issue was really an amplification of other issues that they had in the relationship, and the fact that he didn't respect her as he should have.

She said that with every diaper change, every time that she sees him she has a feeling like she's being stabbed in the heart. She has so much emotional pain, I wouldn't wish that on ANYONE. She says it is the absolute greatest regret that she has in her life, that if she could do it over that she would rather have them take a piece of herself if she had that choice.

I've met several moms who have regretted it...one who was even in her 70s!!!! She spoke to me about circ and how they did it to her son, and how she saw it and was horrified (her husband was intact...this was a high circ area and they did it). You could see the pain in her eyes...it's one of those things that people DO NOT get over. They might bury the pain, but it's still fresh to them when it comes out and they think about it.

On the flip side, I once had an older mom give me a hug and tell me that keeping a son whole is one of the things you will be proudest of in your life.

And, when you read that sentence again it strikes you as ridiculous...that people even have a choice to cut off healthy, highly sensitive, sexual tissue for cosmetic reasons. And, don't BOTH boys and girls deserve an intact body?

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#68 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 04:00 PM

"We live in New England (which has some of the highest circ rates in the country)"

Are you serious?! I live in VT and i would considered it one of the LOWEST circ rates.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#69 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 04:01 PM

My DH wantd to circ. I did not. I ADMANTLY did not.

We argued. He used the usual litany of excuses that don't mean squat.

I told him it wasn't his call. It isn't his penis. That if it is THAT important to our son, our son could get it done later on in his life. No harm, no foul.

Guess what? My upset angry DH now believes that circumcision is ridiculous, and tortourous and shouldn't be done.

I think that the argument from me that something had been stolen from him, has slowly permeated his psyche.

Now we are working on getting him to the point of vaginas are never to be make out to seem yucky, and penises aren't things of violence. And that we are not going to have those ideas set into our children's heads. I think that discussion really wierded him out.....but I think it is slowly winding its way thorugh his brain too.
#70 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 04:28 PM

My heart goes out to you because I know how challenging it is to be at odds with your husband. My 2 boys are both circ'd largely because I was afraid of the fits my DH would throw (and I'm not talking violence, but the pouting and fussing, etc.) if I didn't go along with what he wanted. And I know the stress of trying to discuss it when you're not getting any cooperation and your spouse shuts down on you.

All I can say is I wish with my whole heart that I had just taken responsibility and let my husband fuss and moan and be a baby about it for a few weeks or months until he accepted it. I should have known that he would get over it, perhaps not without stress, but much less stress than I feel now over knowing I have permanently damaged my boys' sex organs. My husband probably would have freaked over penis care, etc. but I could have and should have managed.

I hope you don't appease your husband. He is in the wrong, if you don't agree to a yes, then anything that is not a yes from both of you is automatically a no and you should not circ.

Your husband will adapt.

I'll be thinking of you. I hope you have more strength than I did, and I hope you think more of your son than your husband. It's his body.

ETA: What might help you make this decision alone is to realize that your husband is too emotional about this issue to have any rational clarity and evaluation of the facts. It's almost like he's not capable of making a logical decision because he's so personally affected by circ. It may be near impossible for him to ever admit the truth about circ, and so the issue is better left in your hands, because you come to the issue without those emotional obstacles and you can see it all clearly.

Hugs,
Karen
#71 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 04:54 PM

Hiya Momma, I'm sorry to hear you are going through this (unfortunately all that common) fight.

My dh didn't fight me much, I was lucky. He basically just said "as long as he's not the only one" we didn't need to do it. Thank goodness for the internet cuz I was able to find out that not only was circ not the majority anymore in my neck of the woods, it was the complete opposite!

It was however, years later that he admitted to me that he was still nervous about the decision not to circ for quite a while after our first was born. I never knew!

So maybe that is part of it for your dh too.....fear of the unknown. Maybe after he gets to know his perfect son and knows firsthand that his little foreskin is not going to spontaniously combust or anything, he will feel better?

I know with my dh at least, the proof was in the pudding

Good luck to you!
Tara

Tara Momma to Callum and Gavin
#72 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 04:56 PM

I could have written your post 2 years ago. My DH refused to watch the videos, refused to read any of my information, refused to even discuss it! He wanted it done and that was that. He even went as far as to say if he knew I was anti-circ he wouldn't have married me! (I didn't know the truth about circumcision when we got married).

For me it was a matter of needs versus wants. There was no NEED for my son to be circumcised and I had a NEED to protect him from unecessary medical procedure. My husband only WANTED him circumcised.

I had to the use "Over my Dead Body". But, my son is INTACT!!

Two years later I know my DH is still upset that DS is intact. I know he resents me for not allowing it. But, I don't care. The needs of my children will always come before the wants of my husband.

I honestly thought DH would get used to it and actually realize that it wasn't necessary. But I was wrong. I would rather be wrong about that than regret circumcising my son.
#73 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 05:04 PM

I let my husband have the decision. I have regretted it ever since they brought my poor boy back in a shock induced sleep that lasted 8 hours on his second day of life. I told my dh that we would NEVER circ another boy and he kept fighting me about it. Course by then I had switched to homebirth and had a midwife who didn't do them, a ped who didn't believe in it and I said "how exactly are you going to do this, rip the child from my breast and steal out the door to an OB to demand a circ?" He kind of gave up after that. And then we had five girls, so it wasn't an issue he ever had to actually face...
#74 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 06:07 PM

You have received a lot of great advice already.. I just wanted to lend my support and encourage you to not back down!! You seem to understand your need to protect your baby.

Has he read the thread of those who circ'd and regretted it? My sil had a thread just like yours several months ago and it got left on the screen accidentally.. her dh read it and it made him change his mind when he saw the links and saw how horrified people were that he wanted to cut part of his baby up. She didn't do that on purpose, but it worked!!
#75 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 07:24 PM

Oh, mama! I am soooo sorry DH is being such a butt! What I say now is what I said 20 years ago when I refused to circ my ds-Cleanliness?!? if that's the reason, we better get REAL busy and start circing all our girls, cuz we are MUCH juicier than boys!!! This reasoning seems to have a much more thoughtful effect on folks. It does a bit of an end-run around male circ, too. To me, the bottom line is that the decision belongs to the owner of said penis. I would stop arguing or having any discussion whatsoever about it, do not sign anything, and perhaps have an attorney write something up that goes in your chart now, NOT when you are admitted- way too much potential for confusion. I have to agree w/pps, this would be a deal breaker to me. It would be like finding out my dh *used* to be a rapist. Don't mean to be harsh, but anyone willing to put a child thru circ can't be trusted with that child.
#76 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
My dh pitched a fit and I just told him I would divorce him and not put his name on the birth certificate. This showed him how serious I was, which got him to read some literature about it. Now he is a huge intactivist and really spreads the word.

In the end, your dh is an adult and is capable of working through his emotions. And you don't have to do his feeling work for him. Give him the chance to work through a difficult issue by himself, without your softening it. His emotions do not have to be tattooed on your son's body.

In the meantime, I'd stop talking about it. Just know that it will never happen, and give him the space to think by himself.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
#77 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarmagic View Post
We live in New England (which has some of the highest circ rates in the country) so almost everyone he knows is circed.
Did he tell you that? Because it's false. The coasts -- East and West -- have the lowest circ rates and the Midwest has the highest. New England has a pretty low circ rate, actually. Most of the little boys I know are intact and more than a few of the older boys who were circumcised have younger brothers who are intact.
#78 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 11:06 PM

Statistics: http://www.cirp.org/library/statistics/USA/
As of 2004 this site lists the circ rates as follows:
Northeast Region: 66.4%
North Central Region: 79.5%
Southern Region: 58.5%
Western Region: 31.7%

Statistics: http://www.cirp.org/library/statisti...taterates2004/
This one has states listed (not all of the unfortunatly)
Arkansas 67%
Arizona 25
California 21
Colorado 63
Florida 39
Hawaii 82
Iowa 82
Kentucky 85
Maine 72
Massachusetts 67
Michigan 85
Minnesota 77
Missouri 78
Nebraska 81
Nevada 14
New Hampshire 76
New Jersey 67
New York 59
North Carolina 58
Oregon 30
Rhode Island 74
South Carolina 83
Utah 53
Vermont 68
Washington 26
West Virginia 83
Wisconsin 83

Statistics: http://www.circs.org/reviews/rates/usa.html
This is from back in 99
National65.3
NorthEast 65.4
MidWest 81.4
South 64.1
West 36.7

2005 Stats: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2005/3/prweb217505.htm
Quote:
March 14, 2005 -- The U.S. circumcision rate declined 11.4% over two years, according to figures just released by the National Center for Health Statistics, from 63.1% in 2001 to 55.9% in 2003, following a steady, twenty-five year decline. At this rate, in just 12 years, the US will join other English-speaking countries in abandoning circumcision.
Statistics: http://www.cirp.org/library/statistics/bollinger2003/

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#79 of 99 Old 12-18-2007, 12:22 AM

Wanted to add that our ds is intact, 2 1/2 with never a penis problem. We don't even wash with soap. Just let him play in the tub! He looks so right to me that I forget that circ exists anymore.

My circ'd dh started out like yours, but I had the benefit of this being our third child (first two were girls). By the time our first dd was a month old, he had fallen in love. He was almost as protective and compassionate as I was. You realize that this baby is a whole tiny real person, and you can't imagine putting them through loss and agony because of your own hang-ups.

If your dh is a fairly sensitive and open guy (sounds like yes), he'll feel all that and he'll change. Then, maybe, he'll even be grateful to you for going to bat for his son.
#80 of 99 Old 12-18-2007, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

I wish I could respond to everyone tonight, but I am dead tired and have more work to do... but I wanted to add a little insight that I had while thinking about this yesterday...

DH is very adamant that our son will get teased for not being circed. And I thought long and hard on this, because it really is a ridiculous argument. But you know what I realized? He's afraid of HIMSELF being teased. His entire (all-male) family are very vocally pro-circ. When the topic came up at Thanksgiving the menfolk all stared at me like I was from Mars and repeated a lot of what DH has been saying - that it's GROSS and so disgusting looking, etc. Lightbulb went off. If our son isn't circed, DH is never going to hear the end of it.

Not that this changes anything at all, but it does give me insight in why he reacts like he does. I'll just tell him to blame it on me. I have no issues being the weird one.... I already get that a LOT. (I am most definitely a black sheep around here among his family! Computer geek, earthy-crunchy, etc...) Heck he can even blame it on me being Canadian. (I don't know the circ stats for Canada and it's certainly not *why* I believe what I do, but the whole family gets a big kick out of blaming my oddities on me being Canadian, lol.)

The more I think about it, the more I think that simply not bringing it up and refusing to talk about it unless he actually wants to *talk* and not get angry and sulky is the way to go. Every time I bring up the circ issue he gets defensive because he feels I'm being pushy and trying to convince him. (Well, I am trying to convince him.) So I am no longer trying to *convince* him. I tried, it failed, it causes too much stress. My mind is made up, he knows where I stand, he knows I am not budging. If *he* wants to have a conversation about it and try to change *my* mind I'm open to discussion (so I can calmly explain the facts to him). I think I've realized I'm not going to get his blessing on this (at least not until afterwards, if ever), at best I'm going to get him silently aquiescing - at worst I'll have to put my foot down and refuse to give permission and seriously tick him off. Either way... it's not getting done, and I am at peace with that. I hope he can find his own peace with it.

Natalie, mama to Katherine (5/22/10), missing Devin (stillborn 3/6/08)
#81 of 99 Old 12-18-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabes View Post
My DH was pretty set against it too. Finally, I said fine on two conditions. 1- you arrange to watch one in person or watch two on video AND 2-you go with your son and comfort him while it's being done. Guess what?

My boys are intact.
He never even tried to download the videos. He couldn't stomach the idea of having to watch.
It only makes sense that you have to see it to really understand what you are doing. And you should really understand before you make a life time decision for someone else's body.
Best wishes to you and your son.
Same with us.
When I found out we were having a ds I cried because of the circ issue. I wanted a girk sinply because there would be no argument.
We had some awful screaming matches during pregnancy. They got very bad. The whole neighborhood could hear us. Luckily we have many Euro friend who are intact. They helped me out a lot. I call them my angels. Once dh saw him his mind changed. The stay in the nicu reinforced this. We are in New England as well. All 12 other nephews on his side are circ'd but our ds is INTACT. Dh is all about no circ now.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#82 of 99 Old 12-18-2007, 02:19 AM

Here are the canadian statistics Canada statistics: http://www.cirp.org/library/statistics/Canada/
Quote:
1996/97, circumcision was performed as a primary procedure on about 20 percent of Canadian male neonates, however by 2005, this had declined to 9.2 percent, which brings the genital integrity rate up to 90.8 percent.
I am so jealous of Cananda and other none circing countries.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#83 of 99 Old 12-18-2007, 04:47 AM

Quote:
I wish I could respond to everyone tonight, but I am dead tired and have more work to do... but I wanted to add a little insight that I had while thinking about this yesterday...

DH is very adamant that our son will get teased for not being circed. And I thought long and hard on this, because it really is a ridiculous argument. But you know what I realized? He's afraid of HIMSELF being teased. His entire (all-male) family are very vocally pro-circ. When the topic came up at Thanksgiving the menfolk all stared at me like I was from Mars and repeated a lot of what DH has been saying - that it's GROSS and so disgusting looking, etc. Lightbulb went off. If our son isn't circed, DH is never going to hear the end of it.

Not that this changes anything at all, but it does give me insight in why he reacts like he does. I'll just tell him to blame it on me. I have no issues being the weird one.... I already get that a LOT. (I am most definitely a black sheep around here among his family! Computer geek, earthy-crunchy, etc...) Heck he can even blame it on me being Canadian. (I don't know the circ stats for Canada and it's certainly not *why* I believe what I do, but the whole family gets a big kick out of blaming my oddities on me being Canadian, lol.)

The more I think about it, the more I think that simply not bringing it up and refusing to talk about it unless he actually wants to *talk* and not get angry and sulky is the way to go. Every time I bring up the circ issue he gets defensive because he feels I'm being pushy and trying to convince him. (Well, I am trying to convince him.) So I am no longer trying to *convince* him. I tried, it failed, it causes too much stress. My mind is made up, he knows where I stand, he knows I am not budging. If *he* wants to have a conversation about it and try to change *my* mind I'm open to discussion (so I can calmly explain the facts to him). I think I've realized I'm not going to get his blessing on this (at least not until afterwards, if ever), at best I'm going to get him silently aquiescing - at worst I'll have to put my foot down and refuse to give permission and seriously tick him off. Either way... it's not getting done, and I am at peace with that. I hope he can find his own peace with it.
DH and I fought a lot about this. We were both relieved when DD was a girl. When we decided to have #2 I told DH if he wanted any more children he would have to drop the circ issue. I wasn't going to have another baby if he wanted to have it circumcised.

One thing that has been interesting was right after DS was born a few people asked us if we were getting DS circed. His mom asked me and I said no and she didn't say anything else. His dad "cornered" him on a fishing trip and expressed his concern about how unhealthy it would be and how worried he was for our son. DH calmly explained to him that it wouldn't be any more difficult than keeping a little girl healthy. He felt very sad for his dad. He was confused at why it was such an issue for him and we talked about how his dad was one of the first to have a circ and that he had to be convinced there was a reason for it. I have been very proud of how he handles it. He was freaked out when DS was first born because he was confused about how to care for an intact penis.

It might be hard for your DH and his parents, especially his mother.
#84 of 99 Old 12-18-2007, 05:35 AM
Fi.

I'm gonna go with "blaming" it on being Canadian. Don't know what province you're from but the rates are EXTREMELY low in most of them. Just have him say "Look, she's Canadian and they don't circumcise up there - it's frowned upon. End of subject"

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
#85 of 99 Old 12-18-2007, 06:06 AM

Oh Natalie, I'm sorry this is still going on! I can just hear the emotion in your posts, I really feel for you. I hope you can bring Den round.

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010
#86 of 99 Old 12-18-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
You are a very wise mama. to you and your dh both.

Reading through this thread has made me want to cry - both for you, having to deal with this issue when you are pregnant (the thought of someone wanting to hurt our children is so incredibly painful to us, as mothers - it amazes me that societal conditioning can be so strong that mothers give in to this pressure to cut our son's genitals ), and for your husband. As Sheacoby said - that a grown man could be so insistent that his son be cut, just because he is cut - there is a lot of hurt/denial/etc going on there.

I think your approach is exactly right. The more others try to 'argue with' and convince us that they are right and we are wrong, the more we shut down and retreat - that's just human nature (especially when we are talking about a topic as personal as circumcision).

Again - hugs to you both. I am so sorry you are both dealing with this. Your son is very lucky to have you as his mama.
#87 of 99 Old 12-18-2007, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think your approach is excellent. He is essentially doing this to you...except he has no support medically, philospophically, or morally. So you are in the strong position and he is in the weak position.

The only other advice I have is to be very careful when giving birth. Make sure it is widely known and expect them to keep asking you, even when you are under stress and sedation. Thei is what happened with my first son. I still preventied it, but had to resist moments of weakness under the "doctor's" pressuring us.

Best wishes
#88 of 99 Old 12-18-2007, 12:57 PM

I think using the Canadian angle is a great idea. Whatever works!! And yay for you anyways for being so firm on this.
#89 of 99 Old 12-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
DH is very adamant that our son will get teased for not being circed.
Remember that even right now circ rate is close to 50%-50% and is declining steadily.
I like what one guy said: "Dude let's get it straight, you are laughing at me because you got a part of your dick got cut off?!.."
#90 of 99 Old 12-18-2007, 02:12 PM

It sounds like you ( the OP) have well informed insight into your dh's motivations for circ and have a well thought out plan to just stand your ground

Regarding watching the circ video with him. I didn't notice if this had been said but if you decide to have him watch the circ video, I suggest you watch it with him because you horrified reaction might have an effect on him.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page