Movie on TFO w/ circ theme "When Father Was Away On Business" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-21-2007, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Heads up to French-speaking Intactivists:

Otac na sluzbenom putu [When Father Was Away On Business] (1985)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089748/
Yugoslavia

Airs tonight at 9PM (Eastern) on TFO, the French language provincial public broadcaster.

The boys' mother is obsessed w/ cleanliness and gets the 6-year-old boy and his 12-year-old brother circumcised. While only fictional, this movie is quite graphic in the close-up shots of what they show. The boys even privately joke to each other that their mother probably cleans their father penis w/ Spic-And-Span.

3 key scenes:

- The mother goes to a doctor (might be her brother or brother-in-law) about having the boys circumcised.

- The family and the boys prepare for their circumcision by their uncle, a butcher. In the kitchen is the grief-stricken mother and the family sitting around the table. An adult jokes when he was circumcised, they had enough left to make a coat. In the bedroom, the boys are awaiting their fate. An extreme close-up of the boys genitals are shown with the uncle's hand putting the shield against his penis. You hear the boy scream as the camera quickly pans up to the boys screaming mouth. Next scene has boys recovering from their circ being told they're "brave" boys and given presents.

- (way) Later in the movie, the little boy takes a bath w/ a girl. The 2 sit in the bathtub and splash around, as they settle down and she looks down between his legs to notice he's circumcised (another extreme close-up). He proceeds to tell her that his [slang for uncle] circumcised him. She says she knows and said it's done by the Jews as well. She asks him what a [slang for uncle] is and he tells her it's his uncle a butcher. She tells him it's better when done by a doctor.

This boy MUST have gotten circumcised for the part in the movie, because: The boy is CLEARLY intact during the circumcision scene and the camera pans up to his face (all one shot). Later in the movie, he stands in the bathtub, pulls his underwear down and he's circ'd and the extreme close-up of the boys circumcised penis between his legs involves a pan up to his face (all 1 shot)... and his foreskin-- to me-- DOESN'T look retracted.

http://www.tfo.org/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-21-2007, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

They seem to have a different movie than what my EPG (electronic program guide) says. I know whatever movie they air Fridays at 9p, they repeat late-Saturday/early-Sunday at 12:30a. Maybe they'll air it then (?). Anyway, I already have a copy on tape that I borrowed from my local library and it had the English subtitles. It's a good movie... kind of long. I know it's something you just don't see anywhere else but in foreign films when it comes to showing something so delicate of a situation in graphic detail.
#3 of 5 Old 12-22-2007, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoap View Post
This boy MUST have gotten circumcised for the part in the movie, because: The boy is CLEARLY intact during the circumcision scene and the camera pans up to his face (all one shot). Later in the movie, he stands in the bathtub, pulls his underwear down and he's circ'd and the extreme close-up of the boys circumcised penis between his legs involves a pan up to his face (all 1 shot)... and his foreskin-- to me-- DOESN'T look retracted.
I don't know where the link is, I think it was an "intact actors" page. Anyway, the actor for one part was intact and played a circ'ed guy, and the actor for another was circ'ed and played an intact guy. Both of them wore prosthetics in the movie... Special effects are wonderful nowdays, I sincerely doubt that the child was actually circ'ed for the part. If i can find that link, I'll post it here

And it sounds like a seriously twisted film. I will check with the theater dept on campus if they would consider it for the foreign film line-up!

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#4 of 5 Old 12-22-2007, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have seen the film, and while I hated the circ scene, it was not at all central to the story. It is not really a movie with a circumcision theme.
#5 of 5 Old 12-22-2007, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

(mamabadger,) I didn't say it was the primary focus of the movie, it's just a movie with a circumcision plot as an ongoing theme, given 3 separate scenes spread throughout the movie. It blends into the concept that the mother is obsessed with cleanliness and this is her way of combating it.

The overall theme is about a 6-year-old boy and his dysfunctional family with fighting, physically abusive (to each other parents).

Now the movie 'Au Revoir, Les Enfants' ('Goodbye, Children') has one solitary scene when the French boy is in the school's infirmary and the Nazis coming barging in looking for the hidden Jewish boy and make him pull down his pants to prove he's not Jewish (Jewish = circumcised). I would say that movie isn't a scene with a circumcision theme, either.... just mentioned to enhance the overall total story.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page