The Next Generation- Hope - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-28-2007, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well a few of you have PMed me about getting a link the teen board that I post on to see the circ discussion there. Sadly I cant do that because its a teen site and only met for people between 13-18 AND any users who are older, but have been there since they were in their teens. But, what I can give you is quotes from them, and you can get an idea of the general opinion of the board, and of the next generation of Moms and Dads (minus a few procircs of course).
The board is fairly evenly divided by gender, yet as you will notice most of the quotes are from males, and thats because girls dont seem be interested in this issue. This has been my experience with the circ debate, and I think its generational. I think younger guys are much more involved in confronting this issue then previous generations of men. And the girls there have no reason to be involved with the issue YET. Because they have not been involved with many penises yet (be them, their lovers, or sons). Anyway, beyond that little explanation, on to the quotes:

Quote:
No because I think it's unnecessary and I don't want my baby to suffer the pain (even though most likely he won't remember it)
-Male 17, cut. USA
Quote:
You dragged it here against it's will, it didn't WANT to be your baby, the least you can do is not mutilate it simply for being born.
-Male 14, cut. USA
Quote:
No, I wouldn't.
If he wanted to have the surgery done when he was older, that'd be his choice, but I wouldn't do it to a baby.
-Female 17, USA
Quote:
In UK circumcision is in the minority luckily, especially outside of religion. If I had my way it would be made illegal outside of medical reasons and if the parents did it would be arrested for child abuse because that is what it is.
-Male 17, uncut UK
Quote:
having a foreskin does not cause urinary tract infections, if that`s what you are infering. (And circumcision does not prevent them, by any means.) Anyways, girls get more than boys do. And your argument before was not that. Your argument before was that you think cleaning a foreskin is a monumental task, that`s why people thought you were an idiot.
-Male 21, uncut, USA
Quote:
when/if i have a boy i will not have him circumsized. theres just no need for it. im cut, and i wish i had the decission to make for myself, its my dick, and i'll do with it what i please!
-Male 16, cut USA
Quote:
I personally see circumcision as genital mutilation, both in boys and in girls. Hence, I would not. I think that the girls that think it's cleaner and has less risks of infections are indeed ill-informed.
I have a foreskin myself, since I was a young boy I knew how to keep things clean down there, and as long as there is no serious medical condition, I would say 'no way'.
-Male 19, uncertain, Central Europe
Quote:
I've never understood that argument. My dad was circumcised, I'm not. My dad's penis doesn't have anything to do with me. Why should it?
-Male 17, uncut, USA
Quote:
Circumcision costs anywhere from $40 - $3000 depending on your insurance, $3000 being the most absurd w/o insurance.
If I was circumcised I'd ask my parents for that money. J Extortionism.
-Male, 14 uncut USA
Quote:
I'm fairly sure that if it were a requirement that, if a son were forced to have his penile hood amputated for non-medically required reasons, then the mother and any daughters would be compelled to have their clitoral hoods amputated as well, then I think we would see a rather drastic decrease in male circumcisions.

Just my guess.
-Male 17 cut, USA
Quote:
I can't tolerate the topic even coming up with my friend Lindsey. She asserts that it "looking better" circed is good enough reason to mutilate her kid. She also says it MUST be cleaner circed, thats just the "truth".
-Female 17, USA
Quote:
Not really in defense of my parents, but I come from a Jewish family. So even if they knew what they were doing, there was still a religious aspect to it. So basically after I wasn't circumcised, they thought that if I was uncircumcised and still could participate in the religious community that there was no reason to do it to my brothers.

But anyways, the circumcision rate is slowly declining...so someone's doing something right.
Male, 21 uncut, USA
Quote:
I've never really understood circumcision. Like it literally doesn't make sense. I've tried really hard to get into the mindset, but I still don't get it. The only argument I understand is that some people think it looks better, but in reality, a penis looks horrible no matter what you do to it.
-Male 21, uncut USA

RESPONSE

I think when you have been cut circumcision is a fact of life, its something you have grown to live with, either love it, or try to find ways to try and accept it. Even if you dont like it, you cant really comprehend a life where it was not something you had to think about.

But I agree, if I was uncut (intact) I would probably not be able to understand circumcsion either. Its a very illogical practice (how often in any society do they lop off body parts on a regualr basis). Really if you take the logic of circumcision, its like saying "well what else can we cut off?" the earlope, some fingernails, a 4 inch square of skin from your upper arm?

When you really thing about it, infant circumcision makes about as much sense as tatooing a large tweety bird on the chest of every baby boy born before they leave the hospital.
-Male 18, cut, USA
Quote:
It's his body. If I'm going to change it in a way he might dislike, there better be very compelling reason. Vaccination I will do. It doesn't deprive him of anything he might want, and there are no major scientifically-confirmed downsides. Circumcision can be his choice when he grows up. If he comes to me at 15, and asks me why I made the decision I did, I know which one I'd want to be explaining.

The prevalence of UTI among uncircumcised infant males is about 0.7%, versus 0.2% for circumcised males (girls have it much higher). That's even using a study that showed a bigger difference than any other. At least one or two say circumcision increases UTIs. On the other hand, the short-term circumcision complication rate can go as far as 10%. That seems like pretty clear math to me.

Not a hard choice for me - I would let him make his own decision.
-Male 17, uncertain, USA
#2 of 9 Old 12-28-2007, 02:38 PM

Thank you, perspective. I am so : that people just a few years younger than I are facing this issue.

Quote:
I think younger guys are much more involved in confronting this issue then previous generations of men. And the girls there have no reason to be involved with the issue YET. Because they have not been involved with many penises yet (be them, their lovers, or sons).
I think you are absolutley right! And I think this board is the generation when almost all babies were circ'ed and people thought it was best. We are just now having to confront this issue with our sons, nephews, lovers, etc.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#3 of 9 Old 12-28-2007, 04:29 PM

Thanks for posting these quotes, perspective. From a few teen sites I've visited, this is the sense I get from them - that this is a topic that teens talk about now (men my age never talked about this as teens, and they try to avoid talking about it now as adults), and that once they inform themselves about circumcision, they are against it.

It really truly amazes me when parents cut their sons in this day and age. Especially when they have been given information about the harm it causes, etc.

NO WAY are they going to get away with it, the way our parents' generation (by and large) have gotten away with it.

Males being cut today will be asking their parents why they did this to them. And they won't be happy about it.
#4 of 9 Old 12-30-2007, 08:29 PM

Thanks, that was interesting. Some of those quotes sound similar to things that get said a lot around here.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#5 of 9 Old 12-30-2007, 08:47 PM

Wow, those quotes were very encouraging to read!
#6 of 9 Old 12-30-2007, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdmama06 View Post
Yeah, sometimes we all need a reminder that the movement was bigger and more diverse then we think. Its definitly a big encouragement.
Thats part of the reason why I wanted to post that here. From my side of things, we all talk about circumcision, and what our parents did. Its really great to see that there are parents out there that fully agree, and want to protect kids. So I thought it would be nice to see "the kids" feel the same way, and many are working with the same goals.
#7 of 9 Old 12-31-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdmama06 View Post
Yes they were. It is encouraging to see teens so knowledgable about something that is so terrible!

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#8 of 9 Old 12-31-2007, 01:43 AM

I'm hopeful for the next generation, too. My sister is in that age range, and is completely against circumcision. I think that the more we get the info out there, the easier it will be for these young people to learn the truth and question whether their baby boys really need an amputation right from the womb.

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

#9 of 9 Old 12-31-2007, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsilva View Post
I'm hopeful for the next generation, too. My sister is in that age range, and is completely against circumcision. I think that the more we get the info out there, the easier it will be for these young people to learn the truth and question whether their baby boys really need an amputation right from the womb.
Generation Y is the perfect group to end circumcision. Because of the internet we are information crazed, many people are open to more diverse views on issues and ways of life because its always only a mouse click away.

For example, ten years ago a study came out that reported that Library usage was down in young people, but a new study that just came out reported that generation Y is largest population of library users, and there saying its because were "information hungry" from growing up with the internet.

So we have a great opportunity here to change a lot of open minds. As the corny line goes "if you build it, they will come." We just need to keep building, and let them know the information is there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page