Sad, circumcision in Turkey: "Ouch Ouch Ouch Ouch" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-31-2007, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.viceland.com/int/v14n9/ht...php?country=us

(It appears to be undated/not sure when it was published.)

Note: Contains photos of children being circumcised; not genitals, mostly just faces but it is still upsetting as many are in obvious pain.

Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 12-31-2007, 01:40 AM

I have tears in my eyes.

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#3 of 19 Old 12-31-2007, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"Kemal Özkan, a 58-year-old qualified paramedic, is a Turkish celebrity. He is known as the Sultan of Circumcision. He has allegedly operated on more than 100,000 children in his 37-year career and his famously outlandish publicity stunts have included performing circumcisions on horseback, on a camel, and in flight."

OMG. I honestly have no words.
Well, no words that wouldn't get censored.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#4 of 19 Old 12-31-2007, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Nurse View Post
"Kemal Özkan, a 58-year-old qualified paramedic, is a Turkish celebrity. He is known as the Sultan of Circumcision. He has allegedly operated on more than 100,000 children in his 37-year career and his famously outlandish publicity stunts have included performing circumcisions on horseback, on a camel, and in flight."

OMG. I honestly have no words.
Well, no words that wouldn't get censored.
i am still trying to pick up my jaw from the floor... this is disgusting
#5 of 19 Old 12-31-2007, 04:46 AM

Turkey is very proud of this childtorture - they even advertise it on their goverment site;

http://www.kultur.gov.tr/EN/BelgeGos...3CD76EB828AAF7
#6 of 19 Old 12-31-2007, 06:10 AM

Turkey has a dark history of invading Armenia to force circumcision.
#7 of 19 Old 12-31-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxsiven View Post
Turkey is very proud of this childtorture - they even advertise it on their goverment site;

http://www.kultur.gov.tr/EN/BelgeGos...3CD76EB828AAF7
This is from the website...

Quote:
No parents ever wish to break away from this entrenched custom. The sanctions of the tradition are so strong that no objection is ever permitted.
How sad.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#8 of 19 Old 01-01-2008, 03:12 AM

what is the difference in doing it at birth or then? I ask because I bet the pro circers here would be bothered by that, oh because they can remember?! : horriable no matter how you look at it.

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
#9 of 19 Old 01-01-2008, 03:21 AM

:Puke This part made me sick

"As a result, the official literature is filled with reports of vomit-inducing botched procedures, some of which end with severed urethras, infections, gangrene, amputation of the penis, and even death."

Can you imagine being a young boy dragged to this thing not wanting it done and then having to have your penis amputated.

Brandy Single momma to A(11), C(10), H(6) and I(2)
:
#10 of 19 Old 01-01-2008, 03:31 AM

Horrible. Just...horrible.
#11 of 19 Old 01-01-2008, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swellmomma View Post
:
Can you imagine being a young boy dragged to this thing not wanting it done and then having to have your penis amputated.
Yetthese boys, eventhough they will remember this dat, will one day force go through the same terror and pain.

It is an enigma to me how people can ractise this kind of cruelty to their own children.
#12 of 19 Old 01-01-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
He has allegedly operated on more than 100,000 children in his 37-year career and his famously outlandish publicity stunts have included performing circumcisions on horseback, on a camel, and in flight.
Bloody hell. It's a mad world.
#13 of 19 Old 01-01-2008, 06:05 PM

thats horrible, and pro circs in this country should be against this. The boys would remember all of it, they fore them down with nothing for the pain as the cut off a part of their body. And even pro circs believe that adults and children feel pain. Why isnt the world stopping this?
#14 of 19 Old 01-02-2008, 08:33 PM

My friend is Turkish..lived there until he was 15. At some point I asked him about this and yes, he was circ'd when he was 7!!! Ugh. He said it hurt really bad but he's grateful for it...
#15 of 19 Old 01-02-2008, 08:39 PM

This sadly happens to males in the Philippines, too. Anywhere between 7-11. And the same brainwashing and stereotypes exist (it's cleaner, it's more desirable to females, it makes you feel like a man). Thankfully, there's an ever-growing Pinoys (sp?) against circumcision groups. Both countries don't do it in the name of religion, too. I'm happy to see no posts perpetuating this myth.
#16 of 19 Old 01-03-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swellmomma View Post
:Puke This part made me sick

"As a result, the official literature is filled with reports of vomit-inducing botched procedures, some of which end with severed urethras, infections, gangrene, amputation of the penis, and even death."

And to top off the day hey they have clowns!

#17 of 19 Old 01-04-2008, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoap View Post
This sadly happens to males in the Philippines, too. Anywhere between 7-11. And the same brainwashing and stereotypes exist (it's cleaner, it's more desirable to females, it makes you feel like a man). Thankfully, there's an ever-growing Pinoys (sp?) against circumcision groups. Both countries don't do it in the name of religion, too. I'm happy to see no posts perpetuating this myth.

Actually the custom in the Philippines I think is much better. Culturally its horrible, because your not really seen as a man until you have been cut, and women are "culturalized" to see an uncut penis as unattractive.

On the other hand, at least here there are a few slightly more positive differences. In turkey boys are taken to these places and are forced, and held down kicking and screaming. And on top of that, they face the embarrisment of being forcibly stripped naked in front of their female family as they smile on while these boys are brutalized.

In the Philippines, traditionally, circumcision is something that they journey on themselves. Its seen as the first independent move they make as adults at the age of 13 or so. They go out by themselves with a few of their friends to a local person who focuses on doing circumcisions, and do it themselves.
YES, this tradition is still horrible, because these boys are culturally forced to do this so they can be considered adults. But at the very least, they dont go through the same kind of trama that Turish boys go through.
#18 of 19 Old 01-04-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laprettygurl View Post
My friend is Turkish..lived there until he was 15. At some point I asked him about this and yes, he was circ'd when he was 7!!! Ugh. He said it hurt really bad but he's grateful for it...
Of course he is - what else could he say? Just like most circumcised women are grateful for it.

And I cannot believe that EU is seriously concidering taking this kind of country as a member.

Barbaric and inhumane.
#19 of 19 Old 01-04-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxsiven View Post

And I cannot believe that EU is seriously concidering taking this kind of country as a member.

: But i guess it's what you can expect from a a country where human rights are not really regarded as important...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page