Questions about uncirc ds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2003, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really don't know much about penises..lol... (gee and pregnant for the 7th time). I understand the reproductive aspects, but the uncircumsized par tof it is of some concern.

Ds is 9, and has the tiniest testicles and penis, a 2 yo i was watching had more than him. Ok, I questioned that some time ago and was told we all grow at different rates, that he make have a more impressive erection as more of his penis is internal...ok, whatever.

I also questioned cleansing. I don't have one of my own, so what do I know about it? My Dr told me to just wipe clean, teach him to wipe after going to the bathroom, and that should be enough.

Ok, so I'm not concerned, them my mom comes along when he was a few years old, concerned that the foreskin doesn't retract yet. I was of the understanding that that comes with puberty.

He has never had any infections, redness at all. So he's doing something right. I'm uncomfortable checking him to see if he can retract, though I have showed him to wipe after peing better to hold the skin back. Again, somewhat uncomfortable for me, but he was ok with it.

Is there something wrong? I'm feel stupid. DH won't help me on this one cause he feels ds should have been circumsized, and he is circumsized and is clueless on that front too.

Can you offer an insight?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2003, 11:02 PM

Hi there! My aren't you a busy Momma. You are totally right though, retraction will come eventually, in it's own time. The whole "retraction time table" is the old school of thought, and it resulted in a lot of boys having a lot of problems. I will post some links to some great care info for you.

http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/aap/
http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/
http://www.nocirc.org/publish/4pam.pdf
http://www.nocirc.org/publish/6pam.pdf
http://www.nocirc.org/articles/fleiss2.html

Booklets for boys
http://www.tornwing.com/peacefulbegi...letforboys.htm
http://www.tornwing.com/peacefulbegi...ersforboys.htm

I hope that helps!
Tara

Tara Momma to Callum and Gavin
Old 08-23-2003, 02:57 AM

Boys penises and testicles have a growth spurt sometime after puberty. We men also are like you women. You have widely varying sizes of breasts and we have widely varying sizes of penises and scrotums. It's not how big your gun is, it's how good your aim is.

The only maintenance an intact penis requires is a clear water rinse in the shower. I suppose it get's more than that and you just don't know it. If not, it will soon.

A foreskin retracts when it is good and ready. Are you fretting this much about your daughter? Why not?

I would be uncomfortable checking if it will retract too. I would be uncomfortable if I were your son. He is old enough that it is none of your business anymore. Are you fretting this much about your daughter?

Mother Nature implanted all of the information your son needs in his brain before he was born. The thing you are doing wrong is worrying too much. Take a chill pill!

Frank
Old 08-23-2003, 03:37 AM

My XH once told me that he was incredibly worried at that age when he saw his uncles peeing on a camping trip and wondered why his equipment was so much smaller. Puberty happened and he grew. A lot.

Chances are your son will too.

Nine is more than old enough to clean himself properly, but if you're concerrned I'd reccomend a sort of sex-ed-lite book with some basic info on male and female anatomy and hygine. No clue what the best ones are though. Honestly, I'd be more concerned about overcleaning (using soap and drying things out) than undercleaning, as he'd be hard-pressed to underclean his penis if he bathes at all regularly.

*edited to fix annoying typo*
Old 08-23-2003, 10:55 AM

Like all features - body build, facial characteristics, hair texture/colour, etc. we inherit certain tendencies from the Father's side of the family and yet others from the Mother's side. Our children could have physical features "from grandparents". I "have my grandfather's nose." Sizes of body parts vary widely as much as height of people does. There is so much DNA at work here. When your son reaches puberty he will have growth spurts that bring him closer to his adult size. Compare the breast development in young girls. Some grow breasts "overnight" and some take their time. Some are as big as Dolly's and others, well .... you get the message. Whether we're referring to the anatomy of the male, or be it the female, ultimately they will function just as they were meant to. (ie. small breasts breastfeed as successfully as do other sizes.)

I recommend the last two "booklets for boys" Tara (callumsmom2001) posted.
Old 08-23-2003, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Frank,

LOL... thanks for the insight.

I've quit worrying, most of it was the lack of knowledge on the topic. Now that I know, I won't worry.

I do show concern with the girls too. BUT, being female, I do alot more about it. I have one little one that is prone to infections so I do see her genitals frequently for cleansing and treating, but they are smaller, and depend on me more. I don't go check the boy out. When he asks a question, well, then we deal with it.

Otherwise, he does his own thing for personal hygiene. I tell him what is expected in terms of what is acceptable, and I trust him to follow the basic instructions. ie. a quick shower isn't turning the water on jumping in and out, its a quick soap up everywhere and shampoo, not lounging int he shower for 40 minutes..lol.

Thanks everyone for the response, and it gives me some education for him as well.
Old 08-23-2003, 05:03 PM

callumsmom2001 Thanks for the links! I'm due in Dec w/ a boy and just wanted to know more info on care and such. Dh is circ'ed so we needed something just to get us going!
Old 08-24-2003, 01:44 AM

Stacy, thats why I had to find it too.(circed dh, intact son) This is great to to give to anyone who will care for your son (doctors and such)
http://www.circumcisionquotes.com/care.html
Congrats on expecting your little guy!

Tara

Tara Momma to Callum and Gavin
Old 08-24-2003, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Touch of Sunshine
not lounging int he shower for 40 minutes..lol.

That reminds me of my brother when we were kids. If he got in the shower first, he would lay down in the shower and go to sleep until the water got cold which left no hot water for me. I would stand on the toilet and pour a pitcher of cold water on him from head to toe. It was amazing how fast he could go from sound sleep to wide awake.

Frank

User Tag List