Mothering Forum banner

UK Govt response to Circumcision petition

898 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  orangefoot 
#1 ·
I signed the e-petition to ban circumcision of boys under 18. the wording wasn't perfect but I felt it worth clicking to add my support. This is the Prime Minister's response which came to my inbox today

http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page14160.asp

Quote:
The NHS must provide a comprehensive health service and circumcision may be provided on medical grounds. There can also be health and safety reasons for carrying out a circumcision on non-therapeutic grounds, including an identified risk from operations performed outside the NHS.

The question of whether a doctor should ethically carry out circumcision for non-medical reasons is one that the General Medical Council leaves to the individual doctor to decide. Many will not carry out circumcision as requested for religious purposes because they believe it to be unnecessary. Others do so to prevent families going to lay circumcisers who may not be appropriately trained, or may operate out of premises that are not sterile.
WTF?

#2 ·
How extremely disappointing. This is similar to the response I got from The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta when I wrote to them a couple of years ago.

It seems that "they" refuse to accept any kind of responsibility in the perpetuation of this barbaric custom, and instead pass the buck down the line to the individual surgeons. Of course this allows the unethical and money hungry ones to carry on , unchecked in their swath of mutilation.

ORANGEFOOT, do you know if this petition is still circulating, or is it too late to sign - I was going to pass it on to my sister in the U.K. ??

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by orangefoot View Post
I signed the e-petition to ban circumcision of boys under 18. the wording wasn't perfect but I felt it worth clicking to add my support. This is the Prime Minister's response which came to my inbox today

http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page14160.asp

WTF?
Wow, with that logic, why not make FGM legal too, so then there is no "risk" of it being performed "so to prevent families going to lay circumcisers who may not be appropriately trained"

#5 ·
The petition is now closed but other may appear.

I can't see any health and safety reasons for circumcision though after the police were prosecuted under health and safety legislation for the killing on the tube mayne it's a term that is more flexible that it used to be.

Perhaps it is perceived that FGM 'only' upsets the womenfolk of cultures who carry it out so their anger is less significant than that of the men in cultures who circumcise?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.