Question about testicles - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-15-2008, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I apologize if this is in the wrong place, but since it is a question about the "area", I figured this group would be able to help. My 16 month old has testicles that have not descended. I was told by his Dr. that it would have to be done surgically. Does anyone know if this is true (as the only option)? I'd rather him not have to go through something like that if I can help it. Does anyone have experiences they would be willing to share?

Thanks!
#2 of 14 Old 01-15-2008, 10:30 AM

I'm sure someone with knowledge about this will come along soon. But in the mean time, here are some previous threads on this subject:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ght=undecended

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#3 of 14 Old 01-15-2008, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son had a very small one that never fully developed and remained in the abdomen. We were advised to have it surgically removed since he was 12 months. We waited for a while and finally did it when he was a little over 2 years.
We hated to put him through surgery but we needed to have ear surgery anyway. We figured we could just have it done while he was under anesthesia. He did fine with the surgery & recovery to his scrotum but he did have a mild allergic reaction to the tape they used with anesthesia (his face was beet red for 24 hours and itchy too).

My advice is to always get a second opinion before surgery. You know, the doctors will say if you don't remove it it could lead to cancer. Of course, many doctors have been know to say that about a foreskin too, and I didn't fall for that one!

But for us, since our son was already going to be under, and there was no chance that it would "drop" by that point, and since having an undescended testicle in his abdomen was not going to change his function or appearance, we went ahead and consented to the surgery.

Hope that helps some. Feel free to pm me if you want more details.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#4 of 14 Old 01-15-2008, 06:24 PM

There is proof that undecended testicals can cause problems with fertility later on and some proof that the testicle/s that do not decend are at a much higher risk for cancer.

I would get a second opinion for sure just so you know you covered all your bases.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 14 Old 01-15-2008, 11:38 PM

If he is still intact, be careful that they don't try to circumcise him while he's having surgery, or try to retract him.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#6 of 14 Old 01-16-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyswanson View Post
If he is still intact, be careful that they don't try to circumcise him while he's having surgery, or try to retract him.
You know, after hearing as much as I have now, I would have no problems writing "If you circ me, my mommy will sue you" on my (hypothetical) son's tummy in magic marker. Or maybe "Don't touch my foreskin." And speak with the person who will be doing the cath. You may want to watch that part so they don't retract...

Anyrate, a guy in Australia just won a court case against a doctor for circumcising him while he was being treated for something else unrelated. I'm not at my desktop, so I don't have the link, but I think i read about here. I believe the man was in his 40s?

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#7 of 14 Old 01-16-2008, 01:04 AM

: it is very important that you talk to the one doing the surgery and give specifics about what you want done and what is not to be done. We had a mama post her about her ds having a surgery not directly related to his penis and the dr. used a probe to forcibly tear his foreskin loose

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#8 of 14 Old 01-16-2008, 01:11 AM

Cellular changes that affect fertility start happening early..I think between 13 and 18 months...when testicles aren't descended. And because of the lack of descending (independent of whether or not it is corrected) both testicles are more likely to have cancer in the future. Your son needs to be able to feel them to check for that as he moves into the prime age for testicular cancer--his teens and early adulthood.

My son had his testicle brought down at 18 months. The surgeon said we should have done it much younger. And, in reality, statistically testicles that haven't descended by a year probably won't. And you've got those cell changes that affect fertility. I don't know of other options but that doesn't mean there aren't any. But I wouldn't wait too long due to his age.
If it comes to that the surgery is usually a very quick one.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#9 of 14 Old 01-17-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thixle View Post
You know, after hearing as much as I have now, I would have no problems writing "If you circ me, my mommy will sue you" on my (hypothetical) son's tummy in magic marker. Or maybe "Don't touch my foreskin." And speak with the person who will be doing the cath. You may want to watch that part so they don't retract...
That's a great idea! I've heard about people going to have an amputation writing in magic marker "NO" and "YES" on their legs...you never know what those doctors will try when you are knocked out.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#10 of 14 Old 01-18-2008, 01:30 AM

There is a condition that is very similar to undescended testicles called "retractile testicles." This condition is a variation of normal and is entirely benign and requires no surgical correction and surgical correction would have no benefit. Unfortunately, many doctors do not have knowledge of retractile testicles and diagnose them as undescended testicles.

The method to determine if a child has undescended testicles or retractile testicles is very simple. Starting just above and to the side of the testicle in question, gently massage downward beside the shaft of the penis toward the scrotum. If the testicle moves down into the scrotum, the child has retractile testicle and needs no treatment. If this method will not bring the testicle down, it is undescended testicle and does require surgical correction.

#11 of 14 Old 01-18-2008, 12:19 PM

I don't usually post here, but was lurking so I hope you don't mind. My son had to have surgery for an undescended testicle. The pediatric urologist did the surgery when he was a little over 4 months. They did a laproscopic prodecure so it was outpatient. The urologist also explained to us that after it is brough down there is a higher chance of the testicles getting twisted so you have to check for that on a regular basis. Noah is now 4 and has never had another problem.

My husband's family has a history of this condition. My BIL had one that didn't descend and when it finally did, it was so small and has caused infertility. We are currently trying for our second and it is a fear of mine that this will happen again.
#12 of 14 Old 01-18-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thixle View Post

Anyrate, a guy in Australia just won a court case against a doctor for circumcising him while he was being treated for something else unrelated. I'm not at my desktop, so I don't have the link, but I think i read about here. I believe the man was in his 40s?
My 4 year old had surgery earlier this year for a hernia & communicating hydrocele. I wrote (in sharpie marker, just under his belly button) "DO NOT RETRACT" - fortunately, I know that our ped urologist is very foreskin friendly, so I wasn't worried about the dr doing the retracting. I was worried about the darn nurses. I made sure to tell every person who came into the room before surgery that they were NOT to touch my son's foreskin.

And no one did.

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#13 of 14 Old 01-18-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Rising View Post
There is a condition that is very similar to undescended testicles called "retractile testicles." This condition is a variation of normal and is entirely benign and requires no surgical correction and surgical correction would have no benefit. Unfortunately, many doctors do not have knowledge of retractile testicles and diagnose them as undescended testicles.

The method to determine if a child has undescended testicles or retractile testicles is very simple. Starting just above and to the side of the testicle in question, gently massage downward beside the shaft of the penis toward the scrotum. If the testicle moves down into the scrotum, the child has retractile testicle and needs no treatment. If this method will not bring the testicle down, it is undescended testicle and does require surgical correction.

True about this condition. And good to know. But in my experience pediatric urologists do know about retractile testicles (so did peds here) but I can't imagine a urologist not being aware and doing an unnecessary surgery. I'm sure it happens.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#14 of 14 Old 01-23-2008, 06:05 PM

My son was diagnosed as having an undescended testicle at birth. We had an ultrasound done right away which did in fact determine that the testicle was up in the abdomen. We were told at that time that what would happen was that we would wait until he turned a year and if at that time the testicle had not descended then we would need to have the surgery.

The reasoning behind the surgery is such that the testicle hang outside of the body because the temperature inside the body is too warm to support the sperm who live there. So, essentially if the testicle remains inside the body there could most definately be issues later with reproduction.

My little guy just had his first birthday so i took him in and we found that the testicle has descended from the abdomen and into the fat pad above his penis. I have scheduled the surgery for next month and was told that it was fairly simple and on an out-patient basis with only a t day recovery time.

Please make sure to get it taken care of so that your son will have a better chance of giving you some grandchildren later in life.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page