Circumcision down to 56% in USA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/94200.php

i find it odd that the summary claims factors for lower rates are immigration and insurance coverage when the report itself specifically says:

Quote:
Changes in public sentiment, differences in insurance coverage, or fluctuations in immigrant populations can impact the prevalence of the procedure.
I suppose they just *accidentally* overlooked the first reason.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 12:27 PM

I thought it's been down to 50/50 for years now.
#3 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 01:03 PM

The immigrants thing is pure Schoen. He has always tried to paint circumcision as the patriotic, all-American thing to do and that only ignorant, dirty, first generation aren't circumcised. Like with many things in this country, when you run out of evidence and the lies stop working, wave the flag and question the patriotism of the nonbelievers.
#4 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 01:40 PM

Well, the statistics they took are for hospital births, it wouldn't cover those who are born outside of a hospital setting would it? And, would it cover those who circ at a ped's office?

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#5 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 02:03 PM

I think 99% of births are in a hospital environment, so out of hospital births are statistically irrelevant.
#6 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmama7 View Post
I thought it's been down to 50/50 for years now.
Hovering around...it was 57 for two years in a row I believe, so this is a lowering from there.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#7 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 06:54 PM

i believe the immigrant population bit. not stereotypically but just because i don't see my hispanic clients cutting their boys as often as i hear the anglo and african american clients in my office doing so. i live in indiana which is probably closer to 80 or 90% circ rate.
#8 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 07:01 PM

"The national rate has remained relatively stable for a decade. It peaked at 65 percent in 1980. "

Wha? Only 65%? I thought it peaked at closer to 90%?

Single mom of 2 boys
#9 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji'sMom View Post
"The national rate has remained relatively stable for a decade. It peaked at 65 percent in 1980. "

Wha? Only 65%? I thought it peaked at closer to 90%?
And I thought just about all male babies in the U.S. were circ'd in the 60's and 70's. Actually, I was naive and used to think only Jewish circ'd and was very sorry to find out I was wrong.

Does anyone have stats from decades ago (without graphic pictures)?

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#10 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 07:43 PM

Statistics: http://www.cirp.org/library/statistics/USA/
This one goes all the way back to 1937 with a rate of 30% that year. With a peak of nearly 100% from 62-71. Lots of other graphs there as well.

Statistics: http://www.circs.org/reviews/rates/usa.html Info from 79 on.

Statistics: http://www.cirp.org/library/statistics/bollinger2003/ This one starts in 1870 with a 0% rate, then showing a peak at around 1980 with a steady decline after that up to 2000. In 2001 according to the graphic there was a circ rate of 51.1%

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#11 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 08:28 PM

It varies by region also. The Midwest and South still have very high RIC rates. And working in the hospital in L&D where one of the intake questions is "do you desire circ", I have to say that at least here it is almost across the board, only immigrants that decline.
#12 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

South rates: 56%

They aren't doing too bad.

Midwest: 75%

also getting better

#13 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2seven View Post
It varies by region also. The Midwest and South still have very high RIC rates. And working in the hospital in L&D where one of the intake questions is "do you desire circ", I have to say that at least here it is almost across the board, only immigrants that decline.
And your point is?

It seems to more than just hint at racism to suggest that it is 'only' immigrants who are causing the drop in circumcision rates in the States.

In this case - good for the immigrants! They have the self-confidence and knowledge not to be sucked into needlessly harming their infants and damaging their child's future sex life, simply in order to 'fit in'. That's more than can be said for the parents of 56% of American newborn boys.

But rates for parentings cutting their children are down all over the States - 56% overall, which means that 44% of little boys are being left intact.

There are clearly many non-immigrant parents who are clued up about the horrendous damage caused by circumcision, and they are protecting their sons.

The numbers of baby boys protected will only go up. Knowledge is a powerful thing. Group-think can only go so far in keeping circumcision alive, thankfully.
#14 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:

It should be AGAINST hospital policy to SOLICIT unnecessary COSMETIC surgery on a healthy sexual organ!

Does a doctor ask a mother if she desires to have her appendix removed during her c/s?
#15 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Right! Immigrants are americans too and live here, so

Also, like I said--

-the report itself says personal opinions on the matter are contributing to the decline

and, numbers in the south are second best! Only the west has lower numbers.

#16 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
It should be AGAINST hospital policy to SOLICIT unnecessary COSMETIC surgery on a healthy sexual organ!

Does a doctor ask a mother if she desires to have her appendix removed during her c/s?
I was asked no less than 5 times if I wanted my son circumcised in the hospital I delivered at. This was also the experience of another MDC mom who used the same hospital group.

:

Probably a contributing factor in why the west/northeast numbers are higher.

for the curious:
-once when getting all my info when I first got there
-once when he was born and they were entering more info
-once when I requested to leave a day early
-another time when a new nurse came on
-when the OB came in for final check

#17 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
I was asked no less than 5 times if I wanted my son circumcised in the hospital I delivered at. This was also the experience of another MDC mom who used the same hospital group.

:

Probably a contributing factor in why the west/northeast numbers are higher.

for the curious:
I was going to add a big "hey me too!" until I saw that is was you, Carrie, and that you may have already been refering to me!

I swear even housekeeping asked if we were circ'ing. :

Finally another OB asked again and I just about lost it. After reading her the riot act she said that she respected my decision and agreed that it was needless and detrimental. Why the hell don't they tell all thier patients that from the get go?!?!

<3 Dena

Wife to M 4.04 and Mama to hopmad.gifJ the activist 5.06, superhero.gifSammy Tsunami 12.09, and stork-girl.gif  coming soon!

#18 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Right! Immigrants are americans too and live here, so
My point was not racist, simply demographics. At least where I am located, changing norms don't seem to have affected the circ rate an iota. We do have a huge influx from Mexico, Central and South America, as well as large population of Bosnians and those from the Far East, all cultures that don't circ. Good for them that they are not feeling pressured into imitating the "American Way". Though I have heard from many Russians that their teenage sons are asking to be circ'ed b/c they are tired of being teased and want to fit in. I know two personally that relented and let their teenage sons get circ'ed. I'm sad that the peer pressure is still such that they felt they needed to get this done.

And for the record, many of them are not Americans but either residents or illegal immigrants. As to "soliciting elective surgery" - when we ask "do you want to breast of bottle feed?" are we soliciting one vs. the other? It's still one of those things they do in the hospital before discharge and if they want it done, it's part of the record. There are a whole list of requests that are asked of the parents with no value judgment either way - it just helps make sure that everyone is on the same page. It's actually very, very important that you make it clear if you DON"T want it done b/c seriously, there have been cases (including one in a hospital I worked for) where the parents didn't and the OB came in and did it, ASSuming the parents would want it. Ironically, the OB in that case was foreign born from a country that doesn't usually circ!.
#19 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
and, numbers in the south are second best! Only the west has lower numbers.
I would be interested in seeing the break down b/c I believe it actually supports the "immigrant" theory. Where are the highest rates of immigrants, legal and otherwise, from Mexico, Central and South America? IIRC, I read that native Southerners have the highest circ. rates in the country.
#20 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

I wasn't sayin gyou were racist, my point (and i have said this a lot in threads so I didn't bring out my whole explaination once more) is that they are here and not circumcising and many of them are legal. But, legal, illlegal or otherwise, their children are citizens who are not being circumcised and it's a great thing.

#21 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I live in KY, had a GIRL, and still had a circ consent form given to me in with the photo orders and birth certificate registrtation. I believe the latest circ rate in KY is about 85%

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#22 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would be interested in seeing the break down b/c I believe it actually supports the "immigrant" theory. Where are the highest rates of immigrants, legal and otherwise, from Mexico, Central and South America? IIRC, I read that native Southerners have the highest circ. rates in the country.
No one is saying that immigrants aren't playing a part of the turn away from genital cutting. They definitely are! (and i think its a great thing!) But there are other factors (including personal sentiments changing and lack of funding)

Look at Canada, for example, and how lack of funding has changed the circumcision picture. So that plays a lot into it, too.

Then sentiment can take hold

etcetc

to see th break down, just read the article, go to the lnk provided for the PDF of the full report.

#23 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I was asked no less than 5 times if I wanted my son circumcised in the hospital I delivered at.
That is unbelievable! Even twenty years ago, I was asked only once, just before discharge, "You didn't want him circumcised, did you?" by a nurse who wrinkled up her nose as she asked and expressed relief when I said no. Why are things proceeding so slowly in US hospitals?
#24 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Also, I think people are also saying:

WHO CARES if it is immigrants causing the number to fall? If it was blacks causing the numbers to fall, what would we think?

Also, sometimes you get people who think they can write off the decline by using this "its the immigrants" argument. which makes no sense...unless you look at it from a racism angle (NOT saying you are doing this, just explaining why people often scoff when the 'its the immigrants' rationale is brought up)

#25 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 10:34 PM

Wow, 56% is still WAY too high

It should be 0.56%.
#26 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabadger View Post
That is unbelievable! Even twenty years ago, I was asked only once, just before discharge, "You didn't want him circumcised, did you?" by a nurse who wrinkled up her nose as she asked and expressed relief when I said no. Why are things proceeding so slowly in US hospitals?

tell me bout it! and DK had the same experience (yeah i was referring to you )

It's money...it's false information...it's lack of education...it's look like daddy....so many reasons I think...

#27 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 10:35 PM

And the 0.56% should only be in medically necessary cases (which wouldn't be found in newborns anyway - even hypospadius surgery is done when they're older).
#28 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 10:35 PM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
As to "soliciting elective surgery" - when we ask "do you want to breast of bottle feed?" are we soliciting one vs. the other? It's still one of those things they do in the hospital before discharge and if they want it done, it's part of the record. There are a whole list of requests that are asked of the parents with no value judgment either way - it just helps make sure that everyone is on the same page.
This begs the question, is a practitioner asking, "Do you desire to leave your ds intact or circ'd?" Because sometimes a question can be so suggestive. What message would a parent get if asked, "Do you wish to leave your ds intact?" vs just, "Do you desire to circ?" See what I mean?
Quote:
It's actually very, very important that you make it clear if you DON"T want it done b/c seriously, there have been cases (including one in a hospital I worked for) where the parents didn't and the OB came in and did it, ASSuming the parents would want it. Ironically, the OB in that case was foreign born from a country that doesn't usually circ!.
I think I may know what hospital your talking about. I've heard a similar story.
#29 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2seven
As to "soliciting elective surgery" - when we ask "do you want to breast of bottle feed?" are we soliciting one vs. the other? It's still one of those things they do in the hospital before discharge and if they want it done, it's part of the record. There are a whole list of requests that are asked of the parents with no value judgment either way - it just helps make sure that everyone is on the same page.
Baby's gotta eat -- so breast or bottle is a necessary question, because baby's gotta have one or the other.

However, circumcision is entirely optional. But the mere fact that the hospital offers the procedure, and asks whether parents want it done, leads parents to infer that it is necessary, or at worst not harmful. Just as formula gift bags demonstrably lead to lower rates of breastfeeding success, if anyone were to study whether circ rates are higher at hospitals that ask the "circ or no circ" at admission rather than not, I bet dollars to doughnuts the answer would be a clear affirmative.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#30 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
And for the record, many of them are not Americans but either residents or illegal immigrants. As to "soliciting elective surgery" - when we ask "do you want to breast of bottle feed?" are we soliciting one vs. the other? It's still one of those things they do in the hospital before discharge and if they want it done, it's part of the record.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
Baby's gotta eat -- so breast or bottle is a necessary question, because baby's gotta have one or the other.

However, circumcision is entirely optional. But the mere fact that the hospital offers the procedure, and asks whether parents want it done, leads parents to infer that it is necessary, or at worst not harmful. Just as formula gift bags demonstrably lead to lower rates of breastfeeding success, if anyone were to study whether circ rates are higher at hospitals that ask the "circ or no circ" at admission rather than not, I bet dollars to doughnuts the answer would be a clear affirmative.
I agree with Quirky. I don't think the question needs to change but rather why are we even asking the question to begin with? How does an OB or anyone else in L&D reconcile this procedure with standard medical ethics? Why not just remove it from the list and actively dissuade anyone who continues to ask for it?

Quote:
There are a whole list of requests that are asked of the parents with no value judgment either way - it just helps make sure that everyone is on the same page. It's actually very, very important that you make it clear if you DON"T want it done b/c seriously, there have been cases (including one in a hospital I worked for) where the parents didn't and the OB came in and did it, ASSuming the parents would want it. Ironically, the OB in that case was foreign born from a country that doesn't usually circ!.
See this is the problem in this country although I am sure peoples experience varies, at least from the posts in this thread it seems that even when someone marks the "choice" (and I use that term loosely) to not perform the circumcision and informs the staff they are still besieged like it was some sort of mistake. But if OBs and Peds would simply follow their oaths and proper medical ethics there would be no need for this and no room for that kind of "mistake".

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page