"Rwanda in mass circumcision drive"--BBC News - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2008, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"Rwanda has launched a campaign to encourage all men to be circumcised, to reduce the risk of catching HIV/Aids."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7202487.stm

"We will start this campaign with the new born and young men in universities, the army and police."

[In Rwanda, 3.8% of circumcised men have HIV, compared to 2.1% of intact men (and 3.6% of women), according to the 2005 Demographic and Health Survey (ch 15, p 10/17).] (this last statement is from www.circumstitions.com)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 12:36 AM

Yeah, seeing as HIV and VD are very prevalent in Mutilation happy USA, I'm SURE it'll work....UGH! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE WHO....

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:17 AM

Wait? Just to make sure I am reading this right (and not suffering from tired mommy brain), Rwanda has a higher incidence of HIV in circ'ed men than intact men, but they're instituting a mass circumcision campagin. Huh?! Since when does that make any sense whatsoever?

::
Old 01-24-2008, 01:19 AM

this is the kind of stuff that makes me sick.

The worst part was how they said they will start with the new born and university students, and then soon after say it will all be voluntary. How do babies volunteer exactly?

I really feel sick, for a government to suddenly say, "hey men and boys, your bodies are dirty, so we will now ask you to cut a part of it off"

Doesn't anyone see that as something against respecting the natural human body?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:53 AM

Oh wow, not only does it say circ'd men have HIV/AIDS at a higher rate than the intact men (this defeats their study - FLAT OUT!) but the article says its voluntary yet --- IF THEY DON'T VOLUNTEER THE ARMY WILL REGARD CIRCUMCISION AS AN ORDER... This is a do or die campaign.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdmama06 View Post
Wait? Just to make sure I am reading this right (and not suffering from tired mommy brain), Rwanda has a higher incidence of HIV in circ'ed men than intact men, but they're instituting a mass circumcision campagin. Huh?! Since when does that make any sense whatsoever?

ditto
Old 01-27-2008, 08:20 AM

Think if a country ordered mass circumcision of girls in order to stop the spread of STDs and HIV ... World would be outraged.

But hey, boys do not matter.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:33 AM

Yeah, as if newborns are really going to be able to 'volunteer'.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdmama06 View Post

When the US is running short of infant foreskins for their biotech industries because home grown babies aren't getting circ'd, their parents are wising up. This makes no sense whatever otherwise.

Babies are at zero risk of catching HIV from sex, BUT their foreskins are worth $$$$$.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:43 AM

I suggest a bunch of us contact the BBC with links etc pointing out the problems with this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ukfs...00/3955259.stm

I think this is really importatnt BUT I have a sneaky feeling that the BBC is in fact pro circumcision.

They often do stories pro circumcision and I find it odd that they do pro HPV vaccine stories but completely miss out the stories against...... I don't know, maybeI am imagining things but I think something fishy is going on.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tireesix View Post
I suggest a bunch of us contact the BBC with links etc pointing out the problems with this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ukfs...00/3955259.stm

I think this is really importatnt BUT I have a sneaky feeling that the BBC is in fact pro circumcision.

They often do stories pro circumcision and I find it odd that they do pro HPV vaccine stories but completely miss out the stories against...... I don't know, maybeI am imagining things but I think something fishy is going on.
I agree, the BBC do often push pro-circ stories. Just like the WaPo. But I suspect that might have to do with certain individual writers/editors having this opinion rather than the whole company.

User Tag List