Pediatrician worried that my son's foreskin... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-30-2003, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hasn't started retracting yet. He's only 15 months old. Should I be concerned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-30-2003, 12:50 AM

No, it's perfectly normal. And since he obviously isn't aware of that I'd find a new ped that is more informed.
#3 of 8 Old 08-30-2003, 12:55 AM

The foreskin usually doensn't retract until a boy is about 5 or oder. And no one should ever try to retract, only the child. And that is instinctive. He will start to pull and tuck and shove and twist his little penis, (I personally think the foreskin starts to sort of itch a little) and that will gradually loosen it and it will retract. But it takes a long time. Let him do whatever comes naturally.

Our intact grandson (who had "worked" his penis for quite a while) suddenly noticed while he was taking a bath one night, that his foreskin could be pulled back. It scared him a bit and then he was so proud of it, he wanted to show everyone! We had to tell him that it's great but ....

So, be patient and please inform that uninformed doctor.

Intact care....
http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/aap/

Scroll down to Hygiene and Retraction

http://www.nocirc.org/publish/4pam.pdf
http://www.geocities.com/raisingintactsons/

Premature retraction....
http://www.nocirc.org/publish/6pam.pdf
#4 of 8 Old 08-30-2003, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

We just switched to this pediatrician. (A female doctor.) This was my third appointment with her and I have to admit that I am liking her less and less. Every time I leave her office I'm freaked out. (This never happened with our previous Ped.) This time she's not only "concerned" about his foreskin not retracting (because, she said, usually it should be a bit retractable by this age). She's also worried because he has only gained 2 oz in the past three months. My breastfed son is in the 5th percentile for weight, and while he's thin, he's not malnourished! She's worried that he's anemic, and this can affect his IQ. She wanted to have his blood checked today, but I declined. I'm still worried though. (He doesn't like many foods besides fruits right now.) Also, since our water isn't flouridated, she wants me to start administering flouride for dental health.

Feh. I miss my old pediatrician. Stupid insurance made us switch from PPO to HMO in February...
#5 of 8 Old 08-30-2003, 09:59 AM

Winenbattle-
Sounds like you need to keep looking if you have more peds and family doctors to choose from.My dh just started a new job(insurance kicks in around October),and I picked the type they offered because my children's current ped is listed(on one of them).I told dh if our ped isn't on any of them then he will have to get insurance outside of the company because I am not switching-or he has to pay out of pocket for the ped and the insurance is just for medical tests and hospital stays. I am still annoyed that we will loose $400 a month to insurance(we have never had insurance before) when that much needed money can go towards better stuff.

Besides the foreskin issues with this lady ped it sounds like she is a typical text book type and if your child does not fit the mold,and you don't coorperate with all the testing and whatever she recommends you could get reported to CPS! It amazes me how people follow those growth charts like they were something sent from god.The only thing I ever focoused on was head growth side,but otherwise with wt/ht each child is so individual.Good luck finding someone better!If you do decide to give iron try Floradix(Vitaglo.com sells it cheap)Iron and herbs.I had given it to my dd for a while when she was a toddler and it takes decent(it is liquid),and does not constipate.
I would skip the flouride.Isn't it in our foods anyway???
Good luck ladies.It sure is hard to find good medical care these days.

Sara
#6 of 8 Old 08-30-2003, 02:01 PM

WineBattle---

About the Circ: Totally normal. I would really hope a ped would know that! DS will be two tomorrow (!!!) and is not retractable yet.

About the weight: Totally normal for breastfed infants (in fact, all infants) to not gain weight for a few month while they learn to walk/really move. DD walked at 10.5 months and didn't gain any weight (in fact, lost an ounce) between 10-14 months. Our ped said that weight is the least accurate predictor of growth problems: other than general appearance, you need to look at #1 head growth (shows that the brain is growing) and #2 height (of course, take genetics into account here). And, of course, sometime after 6 months genetics takes over from birth weight and you start seeing how your baby is going to *actually* be height/weight wise.

HTH,
good luck,
Kay

#7 of 8 Old 09-02-2003, 01:56 AM

RE:....Also, since our water isn't flouridated, she wants me to start administering flouride for dental health....

We have well water and the ped wanted our grandson treated with flouride, but my daughter refused because kids will swallow some of it no matter how hard they try not to.

I read about the side effects of flouride (thinning of bones) years ago. I can't believe the med. community is not informed on that one yet!

All three of my children were raised on that same well water and never received flouride treatments. None had a cavity till they were in college. And my 35 yr. old dd still has never had one yet.
#8 of 8 Old 09-02-2003, 01:14 PM

"The tightness of the foreskin is a safety mechanism that protects the glans and urethra from direct exposure to contaminants and germs. The tight foreskin also keeps the boy's glans warm, clean, and moist, and when he is an adult, it will give him pleasure. As long as your son can urinate, he is perfectly normal. There is no age by which a child's foreskin must be retractable. Do not let your doctor or anyone try to retract your child's foreskin. Optimal hygiene of the penis demands that the foreskin of infants and children be left alone. Premature retraction rips the skin of the penis open and causes your child extreme pain. There is no legitimate medical justification for retraction. The child's discomfort is proof of that."
http://www.mothering.com/10-0-0/html...rcson103.shtml

My last son was about 23lbs. for months. I've stopped weighing him except for now and then out of curiousity. I can see he is developing physically and mentally and is steadily outgrowing his clothes no matter what the scale says.

Those charts are for formula fed babies, unless they are using the newer breastfed baby ones. And even then we can not "force" them to gain weight. Society is so obsessed with weight gain and weight loss. I guess your son forgot to read the textbook that dictates how big he Should be. :

After reading about how flouride drops can cause thinning of the bones I'd nix them. A google search will yield information on the controversies surrounding the practice of administering them.

You're doing great questioning going with the flow.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page