Love-Line - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-15-2008, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to start out by saying that in general, I get a kick out of the advise dished out by Dr Drew and the gang on Love Line (radio show) I know he's pretty main stream - pro vax and what not, and I knew that he recomends circing but I was so sad last night listening to the show as I drove home.

A man called saying that he and his wife had decided not to circ their (not yet born) son since the research they did said there really wasn't a good reason to do it (yay!) but Dr Drew inturupted him to say that there IS good reason and started spouting off about lower HPV/HIV rates, lower STD rates in the PARTNERS of circ'd men etc - really it was like he was on a soap box and said that there is a national campagin going to INCREASE the rate of circ again.

So then the guy says he's considering restoration and Dr Drew and the cohost started really giving the guy a hard time about it - like "do you really have so much free time on your hands that you think thats a good idea, or do you just not have anything better to do."

I'm thinking about emailing the show to tell them how dissappointed I am. I was thinking that any body who felt up to it might want to do the same. (Maybe someone who is a little more educated on the topic then myself)

Anyway, I guess I just needed to rant a little - no one else probably would care much, but I knew you guys would be as upset as I am.

Cari bfinfant.gif Family Business Owner Married to my HS Sweet-Heart Michael photosmile2.gif
Mama to Bridgitt read.gif (12/99) Rheannon joy.gif (05/04) and Meridith energy.gif (07/08)

and Griffin baby.gif April 2, 2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 02-15-2008, 07:13 PM

I'm disappointed Dr. Drew would say that. When I listened to the show he never seemed to be very pro-circ.
#3 of 12 Old 02-15-2008, 07:54 PM

I used to like listening to Dr. Drew and tended to enjoy his show. But this really disappoints me that he would spout off such misinformation. :
I just hope that he doesn't change the caller's mind about leaving his baby intact!
#4 of 12 Old 02-15-2008, 07:58 PM
tlh

a few years ago Dr.Drew had a tv show.one of the episodes was about having surgery to increase sexual pleasure.it had men having penis enlargements and women having vaginal tightening surgeries and He was in favour of people having them if they wanted them.

maybe He is just a doctor trying to make money and a man doing nonsurgical restoration makes a Dr no money.
#5 of 12 Old 02-15-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firespiritmelody View Post
I'm thinking about emailing the show to tell them how dissappointed I am. I was thinking that any body who felt up to it might want to do the same. (Maybe someone who is a little more educated on the topic then myself)
Thanks for letting us know, but ABSOLUTELY, you should write him since you actually heard it. It sounds not only grossly misinformed, but insulting and coercive. WRiting letters of complaint, feedback, and praise (as appropriate) when we run into the circ issue in public situations (TV, media, hospitals, whatever) is crucial to changing the system. When we see a situation where something needs to be said, we all need to get into the habit of being the one to say it! And pass it along for others too, just like you did.

There are more and more of us with awareness and the determination to end this thing. The more we raise others' awareness, the sooner it will end.

Gillian
#6 of 12 Old 02-15-2008, 09:24 PM

And I'd always liked him...

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#7 of 12 Old 02-15-2008, 10:44 PM

Bummer.
#8 of 12 Old 02-16-2008, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh View Post
a few years ago Dr.Drew had a tv show.one of the episodes was about having surgery to increase sexual pleasure.it had men having penis enlargements and women having vaginal tightening surgeries and He was in favour of people having them if they wanted them.
I find it funny that Dr. Drew will say that its a great idea for men and woman to spend time and money to have procedures done for shallow reasons, but then the next minute he makes fun of a guy who wants to restore his natural penis. Wow, what an idiot. But I guess thats what you get for a guy who is basically Dr. MTV.
#9 of 12 Old 02-17-2008, 11:50 AM
tlh

my guess is that if it were a surgical restoration he would be for it because a doctor stood to make money.

and what is up with the free time comment?no free time is needed for restoration you can do it pretty much any time.

and what about the idea that a dad and son should look the same?wouldn't it be a good idea for the man to restore just for his son?

here is the episode i mentioned.

http://www.tv.com/strictly-dr.-drew/...p_list;title;3
#10 of 12 Old 02-17-2008, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Like I said, I've always know he was pretty mainstream, and generally take his advice with a grain of salt. But I'm sure he's done a lot of good as far as helping people get over bad relationships and STD prevention and stuff like that.

I know he's pro vax and pro circ, but I guess the reason this episode bothered me soooo much was the way he and the cohost were really beating the caller down for even considering such a thing. They usually do a decent job of not making callers feel bad about them selves (after all they are tyring to help them) but it was disturbing to hear them down right making fun of this guy. It really bothered me.

I forgot to mention in the original post that Dr Drew said it's actually PAINLESS now for babies - and that its a horrible procedure for an adult to go through. Really disturbing.

Cari bfinfant.gif Family Business Owner Married to my HS Sweet-Heart Michael photosmile2.gif
Mama to Bridgitt read.gif (12/99) Rheannon joy.gif (05/04) and Meridith energy.gif (07/08)

and Griffin baby.gif April 2, 2013

#11 of 12 Old 02-17-2008, 10:05 PM

Ever since Dr Drew co-hosted w/Adam Corolla he's been a real jerk. He really was nicer at one time. I had no idea he was pro circ. blech. Maybe we should start a call-in campaign Wear 'im down
#12 of 12 Old 02-18-2008, 07:16 PM

Adam Carolla had twins almost two years ago. He was on the fence about circing and talked about it on his radio show. Ultimately he did decide to cut his son because Dr Drew told him it was far healthier and culturally appropriate.

Terribly sad that so many young people look to him for advice and he has such disdain for the natural penis.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page