Circumcised women - How many girls/women were/are circumcised in the US? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-18-2008, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
tlh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

we all have read that at one time 90% of boys were circumcised and now about 50% are.

but what about the rates for girls?were they not recorded for some reason?

i know that it was banned in 1997 but was done for more than 120 years before that.many health insurers covered it until it was made illegal.

so what are the percentages/statistics/rates from the time it was practiced to when it was banned?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 02-18-2008, 11:27 PM

I have no idea on the numbers of girls who were...but here are some estimates on today:

Quote:
FORWARD estimates that as many as 6,500 girls are at risk of FGM within the UK every year.
http://www.forwarduk.org.uk/key-issues/fgm

Quote:
This paper reports those estimates, as derived by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which showed that in 1990 there were an estimated 168,000 girls and women living in the United States with or at risk for FGM/FC.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=1381943

Quote:
Even as late as 1979, Dr. James E. Burt was performing sunna circumcision on women in the United States. While Dr. Burt was stopped, the practice continues in the United States, having been reintroduced (or maintained) by immigrants. One report commissioned by Rep. Louise M. Slaughter estimates that more than 160,000 girls and/or women have been or are at risk of FGM in the U.S.
http://www.munfw.org/archive/50th/who2.htm

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#3 of 14 Old 02-18-2008, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter
tlh

thank you for the info.i found a book about it but have not read it yet and it got me thinking about the number of women circumcised in the US.

http://www.amazon.com/Rape-Innocence.../dp/1878411047

another question.how come when the law banning FGM was written the people supporting the ban also talk about MGM but did not include it in the ban?

Congresswoman Pat Schroeder D Colorado, trying to outlaw female genital mutilation, acknowledged male genital mutilation (which she referred to as MGM) in a form letter to several activists.
#4 of 14 Old 02-19-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh View Post
thank you for the info.i found a book about it but have not read it yet and it got me thinking about the number of women circumcised in the US.

http://www.amazon.com/Rape-Innocence.../dp/1878411047

another question.how come when the law banning FGM was written the people supporting the ban also talk about MGM but did not include it in the ban?

Congresswoman Pat Schroeder D Colorado, trying to outlaw female genital mutilation, acknowledged male genital mutilation (which she referred to as MGM) in a form letter to several activists.

Interesting, I did not know there were people that mentioned MGM that were in government trying to stop FGM at the same time. Its funny how special that moment was socially. People with mostly closed minds, opened up just enough that leaders could openly compare and criticize MGM, so sad we did not take full advantage of that time.
#5 of 14 Old 02-19-2008, 12:48 PM

When female circumcision was performed in The US, it was at a time when statistics were not kept for either male or female circumcision. It was only in the 1960's that the government began collecting and reporting accurate circumcision statistics for males. Before that time, the statistics were derived by studying a group of men, taking their ages and extrapolating the circumcision rate for the time they were born. The same type of statistics were never collected for females as far as I know. That's probably because it was not common or widespread. Chalk it up to a bias between males and females.

To date, there has only been one case of female circumcision prosecuted in The US since the 1996 ban. That was an immigrant father who circumcised his daughter on the kitchen table with a pair of scissors. The fact did not come to light until the couple got into a divorce fight several years later and the mother reported the father's actions to authorities. The father went to prison. If it had not been for the divorce, it may have never come to light.

It is not known how many girls are circumcised in these "home markings" but it is believed to be very few. With the controversy, most doctors and nurses would be reporting it to authorities and we would be hearing about them. In European countries, it became common for parents to take their daughters to their homelands to have the circumcisions done and to skirt the laws in their adopted countries and some European countries have passed laws to address this making traveling to a foriegn country for female circumcision punishable to the same degree as if it had been done in the country of residence.

#6 of 14 Old 02-20-2008, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
tlh

i found this.

No female circumcision has been performed in U.S. hospitals since 1991 when 8 surgeries were performed. It is illegal to circumcise females in the U.S. except for diagnosed medical conditions. 22.

Federal Prohibition Against Female Genital Mutilation Act, 1996

http://www.cirp.org/library/statistics/bollinger2003/

but what about the adult women having clitoral unhooding or labiaplasty?how many have had them?

and what about those 8 circumcised girls from 1991?and all of the years before then.
#7 of 14 Old 02-21-2008, 02:08 AM

O. M. G. I had no idea it was ever done in the US!

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
#8 of 14 Old 02-21-2008, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymamato2 View Post

It was even covered by insurance!

I would love to have someone say this 10 years from now about MGM.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#9 of 14 Old 02-21-2008, 10:10 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
It was even covered by insurance!
In fact, Blue Shield (insurance company) paid for FGM until 1978. That's not a typo. 1978. I was alive then. But for the grace of god, there go I.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#10 of 14 Old 02-22-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
In fact, Blue Shield (insurance company) paid for FGM until 1978. That's not a typo. 1978. I was alive then. But for the grace of god, there go I.
I had constant UTIs in the early 70's...I'm almost surprised that I walked away from it whole.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#11 of 14 Old 02-22-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
Kinda scary ain't it? Yes, but for the grace of God, you'd be in the same situation I'm in. It would put a very personal face on it for you as it has with me.

#12 of 14 Old 02-23-2008, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
tlh

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymamato2 View Post
from what i have found it was just as poular as male circumcision.

Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, an American physician and medical reformer (as well as the inventor of corn flakes), wrote in his 1888 popular health manual, Plain Facts for Old and Young, of the “Secret Vice” [Solitary or Self-Abuse]. Kellogg advised that “A remedy for masturbation which is almost always successful in small boys is circumcision. The operation should be performed by a surgeon without administering an anesthetic, as the brief pain attending the operation will have a salutary effect upon the mind, especially if it be connected with the idea of punishment.” For baby girls, Kellogg noted that the application of pure carbolic acid to the clitoris provided “an excellent means of allaying the abnormal excitement.”

http://www.historyofcircumcision.net...id=76&Itemid=6
#13 of 14 Old 02-23-2008, 04:11 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Rising View Post
Kinda scary ain't it? Yes, but for the grace of God, you'd be in the same situation I'm in. It would put a very personal face on it for you as it has with me.

Meaning--being born male?

I'm a step removed, obviously, but it's still personal to me, since my dh is circ'd and multiple docs wanted to do it to my son (but I didn't let them!)

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#14 of 14 Old 02-23-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh View Post
from what i have found it was just as poular as male circumcision.

Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, an American physician and medical reformer (as well as the inventor of corn flakes), wrote in his 1888 popular health manual, Plain Facts for Old and Young, of the “Secret Vice” [Solitary or Self-Abuse]. Kellogg advised that “A remedy for masturbation which is almost always successful in small boys is circumcision. The operation should be performed by a surgeon without administering an anesthetic, as the brief pain attending the operation will have a salutary effect upon the mind, especially if it be connected with the idea of punishment.” For baby girls, Kellogg noted that the application of pure carbolic acid to the clitoris provided “an excellent means of allaying the abnormal excitement.”

http://www.historyofcircumcision.net...id=76&Itemid=6

That makes me want to vomit.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page