Mothering Forum banner

Pain urinating for intact newborn?

1K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  momto4kids 
#1 ·
A friend who is in a non-circing country is having her son circed this week. She says that his foreskin is tight and it hurts him whenever he pees. He is a newborn. Does anyone know what the problem might be and a more conservative way to approach it?
thanks.

#3 ·
My initial thoughts:

"tight foreskin"
The foreskin is suppose to be tight; it is fused to the head of the penis and should not be forced back. The penis should be cleaned like a finger and the foreskin left alone. It sounds to me like they may be trying to force it back, thinking it is tight because they are meeting resistance (the natural attachment of the foreskin to the head, which slowly separates as the child grows ON IT's OWN), and the forcing it is causing tears and issues like that...which leads to painful urination.

If this is the case, they should simply leave the boy's penis alone, clean it like a finger, and read up on intact care. http://www.cirp.org/pages/parents/peron1/ is a good place to start.

The other thing could be a UTI, which circumcision will not cure.

#4 ·
My question is how in the world do they know it is hurting him to pee?? Does he cry when he goes? If so I would be checking for a UTI. Though very rare it might be possible he has one.

I am thinking that something else is going on. I cant imagine them being able to tell it is to tight since it is SUPPOSED to be very tight right now.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
My initial thoughts:

"tight foreskin"
The foreskin is suppose to be tight; it is fused to the head of the penis and should not be forced back. The penis should be cleaned like a finger and the foreskin left alone. It sounds to me like they may be trying to force it back, thinking it is tight because they are meeting resistance (the natural attachment of the foreskin to the head, which slowly separates as the child grows ON IT's OWN), and the forcing it is causing tears and issues like that...which leads to painful urination.

If this is the case, they should simply leave the boy's penis alone, clean it like a finger, and read up on intact care. http://www.cirp.org/pages/parents/peron1/ is a good place to start.

:

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
My initial thoughts:

"tight foreskin"

:

Also, do they realize that circumcision is certainly not going to make him hurt *less*, assuming that he is actually in pain peeing and it isn't due to micro-tears they've caused. Circumcision is extremely painful to endure, as is the recovery and having to pee on a large open wound.

If they're pulling/pushing his foreskin back at all, they need to stop. If they aren't & he really is crying when he pees, they need to get a clean catch urine sample (just wipe his penis and then catch the pee in a cup when he pees) or they could try a urine baggie sample at first so they can find out if he has an infection.

#8 ·
This thread makes me sad.

Is there a way you can ask the boy's mama how they know he is in pain? I agree that possibly they are not treating the foreskin right. This boy could lose a vital part of his body if something isn't done soon.

(sorry to be so alarmist...i'm hormonal.)

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by indie View Post
A friend who is in a non-circing country is having her son circed this week. She says that his foreskin is tight and it hurts him whenever he pees. He is a newborn. Does anyone know what the problem might be and a more conservative way to approach it?
thanks.
An u/s and a VCUG would be more in order. I would be concerned that there is another partial obstruction somewhere in his urinary tract. If he does have an obstruction elsewhere, then circumcision would likely be contraindicated due to potential reconstruction issues later.

Frankly, I've never heard of such a thing in a "non-circing country." Even in the United States, many doctors will try to find out what else could be causing the pain, regardless of whether or not they favor circumcision.

I'm guessing there is more to this than it sounds?

FWIW, my experience is that it is very very easy to tell that an infant has pain on urination.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by littlemizflava View Post
could it be as simple as he dont like the pee on him try diaperless or it could be the cemicals in the diapers if they are sposies. i know both my kids would scream when peeing when in a diaper not cause of pain but the feelings of the pee on them
:

My 8 mos old cried alot as a newborn because he hated the wet diaper being on him. We switched to cloth and it is much better, but he still crawls after us for a diaper change when he is wet

Dana

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.