Adult Circumcision? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2008, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I chat on a mainstream message board and they discuss and debate circumcision every now and then; of course most of them roll their eyes and insist that circ. is cleaner, healthier, prettier...

Anyway, one of the reasons a lot of them give for being pro-circ. is that "I heard about a grown man who "had to" have it done, and he was miserable and said he wished his parents had done it when he was a baby!"

So I created a new thread there called adult circ. and asked how many of them actually knew someone who had been circumcised as an adult, who they were, and why did they need it done...and not many responded.

So I'd like to know your opinioins. How often does adult circumcision happen in the U.S. and other developed countries and is it really necessary?

Thanks!

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 07:57 PM

Adult circ happens way more than it should here in the USA because of ignorence of the intact penis. Most Dr. will circ for something as simple as a yeast infection. In other parts of the world were RIC is virtually unheard of the circ rate in adults is something like 0.06% I dont have the exact number handy but I know someone has posted it before.

It is estimated to that only 0.01% of adult circs are actually medically necissary ie Frostbite, gangrene, cancer or irripairable accident damage.

Something to keep in mind when the circ is done on a infant no follow up pain managment is used but when a adult has it they do not feel it because they are asleep and they can get good pain meds so they do not hurt as they heal. Plus they have the choice that was taken away from the infant.

I feel sorry for all the men here in the USA who were circed for no good reason and didnt take the time to do the research and learn if it was really needed or not.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 03-04-2008, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First off, no one can say if it is more painful as an adult vs a child.

Second, you can find sites for men who have this as a fetish, and they do not seem to mind.

Finally, considering all the mis-information out there, I find it hard to believe you can actually tell if someone "had" to have it done. But there is almost no reason to do it, so most did not "have" to have it done I would be willing to bet.

Regards
Old 03-04-2008, 09:26 PM

I have never known ANYONE who had to get circ'ed. I know only one guy who chose to be circ'ed at age 50 and he actually criticized us for not having our DS done, because apparently sex for him is phenominally better now (of course he didn't have to endure 50 yrs of keratinization).
Old 03-04-2008, 10:08 PM

My Uncle "had" to get Circ'ed when he was like 58 my Aunt said the foreskin had like a callous under it and he could no longer retract to clean under it and was getting recurring infections.I have no idea what he had but he said it hurt like HELL!!! (duh) and that was a full grown adult that got put out totally under anesthesia for the procedure, got pain meds after for the healing time, plus had the correct amount of foreskin removed and was not just guessed upon.

again i have no clue what he had and this was like 5 + years ago.

It is sad that we live in a place with uneducated Dr's :-(
Old 03-05-2008, 02:51 AM

Well I think there is a big difference between a baby being circumcised and an adult being circumcised. Infant circumcision is bad because it is forced body modification AND because parents force this on their boys with incorrect information, that they need to for health reasons.

Now adult circumcision is bad because of these same reasons. But since being forced is very unusual, the biggest concern is bad information.

Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with a man who gets circumcised as an adult, as a form of body modification. As long as they are informed with the risks, in the same way a women getting breast implants is informed that she might loose some sensation in her nipples and may not be able to breast feed.

There is nothing wrong with adults who choose to alter their body, thats true for women or men who want to be circumcised, or want plastic surgery. Your body, your rights. And that slogan goes both ways, the right to have control over your body means the right to alter it, as much as it is the right to keep it whole.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
when a adult has it they do not feel it because they are asleep and they can get good pain meds so they do not hurt as they heal.
Adults do not have to be asleep for the procedure. My DH was circumcised as an adult for religious reasons. It was done with local anesthesia and took about 20 minutes. He didn't need any pain medication afterwards, either (we were surprised about that, but it actually wasn't painful for him while it was healing).
Old 03-05-2008, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamagotchi View Post
Adults do not have to be asleep for the procedure. My DH was circumcised as an adult for religious reasons. It was done with local anesthesia and took about 20 minutes. He didn't need any pain medication afterwards, either (we were surprised about that, but it actually wasn't painful for him while it was healing).
The nice thing about an adult choosing circumcision versus an infant circ is the foreskin has already separated from the glans so half the painful deed is already done. Plus, at least an adult can ask and will be given pain meds if needed. Also, an adult is not sitting around peeing on himself all day (well, hopefully). FWIW - my dh didn't need pain meds after his vasectomy either, but he still used the "I'm sore, I just had surgery" excuse for days (yet never took not one Vicodin). Men!

OP- I've worked as a nurse for a long time. I've had past experience in geriatrics, medical/surgical, home health, etc. I've never once known of any man who "required" a circ. Not once. Of course, I've heard all the stories just like you, but it's always been online and usually involves someone's neighbor's uncle's friend or something.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

Old 03-06-2008, 02:10 PM

My dad was circ'd as an adult within the past 2 years because of phimosis. By the time I knew he had it done already. I feel rotten I couldn't tell him there are other ways to deal with the problems he was having. The really sad things is he stayed away from the doctor when he had yeast infections for years out of fear they would want to circ and that is probably part of what caused the phimosis.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
Old 03-06-2008, 03:56 PM

My bro was circ'd as an adult, because of phimosis. He could not pee. I am pretty sure he and gf chose to circ their son as a newborn to "avoid problems."

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
Old 03-07-2008, 03:25 AM

I have scrubbed less than a handful of necessary circs on adults. Necrosis most often, though one for untreated priapisim. I have scrubbed many more on men who were given the non surgical treatment options for their issues - usually phimosis - and chose circs. Again, they were genuinely informed and chose the surgery. I can assist on those without cause. Adults, choosing a modification with either general anesthesia or a dorsal block, adequate post op management, no ripping off the foreskin off the glans like a nail from a nail bed. A choice. I am quite certain that my patients would not consent to the procedure if it was done with sugar water as pain relief, their glans left raw and denuded, no post op pain relief and without their consent. But to too many, it's not the same as RIC. Sad.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:52 AM

My bf's roomate in university was circ'd at 19 or 20-can't remember. I was never told why. Only that he cried. Alot.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
According to my mother , my grandfather "had" to be circumcised at the age of 12 "because his foreskin got so tight he could not pee". This reasoning makes absolutely no sense, and I suspect that his foreskin was tight, got retracted and he suffered a paraphimosis. I do know that in the less enlightened past most doctors treated a paraphimosis with circumcision rather than just putting the foreskin back forward and leaving it alone.

I knew one guy in his early twenties who chose to get circumcised, but I never saw him again so don't know the reasons or end results. And I know another who got an infection at age 11 and although he had previously been mostly retractable, was not at all at that time and the urologist insisted on circumcising him.

Sadly, I think most of these cases are due to ignorant doctors who are either not aware of betamethasone cream or preputioplasty to treat phimosis, or are too set in the circ rut to employ them. Also there are many that view an unretractable foreskin as a problem, when in reality it is not.

North American doctors need to take some lessons from their scandinavian counterparts and learn how to treat foreskins with respect.

User Tag List