hypospadius repair - is this the right place? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-04-2008, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this. DS was born with hypospadius (a bent penis, and urethra outlet at the base instead of the tip), and has undergone 2 reconstructions in his little life. One to straighten him out, and one to build a urethra for him - they actually built it out of the foreskin! I'm told it is an old, tried-and-true procedure. He, however, has now developed a bulge, and had an assessment today before scheduling another surgery. I am told that this happens in 20% of cases, and our doc (wonderful surgeon) has had 1 case of recurrence beyond the 2nd urethra reconstruct (what ds is being assessed for) in his 20-yr practice. Has anyone else been through this? Poor ds is now almost 3, and will remember this procedure well, while the past 2 were when he was still little enough to forget. I'm so sad for my little guy. Also, he was nursing during the last 2, and healed much faster because of it. Not quite sure how to help this time. Any suggestions? I posted this in health and healing, and they suggested I ask here.

happy coffee-addict ballerina wife to my DH:, SAHM to my awesome ds#1blahblah.gif5/05), dddust.gif(7/07), and ds#2babyboy.gif(1/11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-04-2008, 11:26 PM

i'm not sure, but lots of love and good healthy vibes to you and your little one.

if you are worried about his comfort, maybe you can talk to the surgeon about how his pain will be managed during the surgery and the plan for pain managment at home.
#3 of 7 Old 03-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Fi.

Was the bend chordee?

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
#4 of 7 Old 03-04-2008, 11:52 PM

I always get irritated when people say they want to get it done before they are old enough to remember. Growing up, I always knew there was something different about me, even though I had surgery that was suppose to make everything normal. It was a confusing process that I went through to understand what happened to me.

The single biggest mistake that parents make with this issue, is that they think they can make it just go away. You should not be worried that your son will remember the surgery, it will allow him to have a better understanding of what happened to his body. You may not realize this, but its important that he understand what happened to him so that he can be a mentally healthy and confident person.
#5 of 7 Old 03-05-2008, 07:48 PM

It is to late now but there are ways of fixing many hypos without the loss of the foreskin depending on the severity of the hypo but here in the USA they are less likely to do it since they see no value in the foreskin any way.

I totally agree with perspective it is important that your son knows why he is different and what happened to him so that he will not go ahead and circ just because when he has kids himself.

I have several hypo links but not sure they will be any help to you now. But I will put them up for others who are dealing with hypo and doing research.

Hypospadious: http://www.cirp.org/library/restoration/gray1/

Hypospadious: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...l%3Den%26lr%3D

Hypospadious: http://www.emedicine.com/PED/topic1136.htm

Hypospadious: http://www.medscape.com/content/2004...89956.fig4.jpg

Hypospadious: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/489956_8

Hypospadious graph: http://www.hypospadias-emotions.com/images2/hyposp6.jpg

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 7 Old 03-06-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
I totally agree with perspective it is important that your son knows why he is different and what happened to him so that he will not go ahead and circ just because when he has kids himself.
Thats not exactly what I said. Yes its important that he does not continue the tradition of circumcision, but what is even more important for her son is that he understands what happened to him, so that he can grow up to be confident, and healthy and not feel confused and possibly ashamed over something he does not understand.
#7 of 7 Old 03-06-2008, 01:38 AM

When I said I agred with what you said I was refering to the part about him growing up confident and not be confused. I didnt word my pp as well as I could have I ment to add the part about him not wanting to circ extra not add it in with yours.

As to which is more important him feeling confident or him protecting his children later on to me both are equal.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page