Sheila Kitzinger book - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-14-2003, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On one of the elists I am on they posted a portion of the lastest edition of Sheila K.'s Complete book on Pregnancy. The section on circumcision is decent,and I think this book would make a good gift to mothers(to be) along with the complete mothering mag.Does anyone have this newest edition? I have the older ones.

<<< Here is what the
British author, Sheila Kitzinger, had to say on circumcision in "The New
Pregnancy & Childbirth, Choices and Challenges, 4th Edition, Dorling
Kindersley, London, 2003, page 379.

THE QUESTION OF CIRCUMCISION

Circumcision is an unnecessary operation. It can be dangerous, too. It may result in excessive bleeding or infection. Sometimes the penis is damaged irreparably. Some babies have to be rushed to an intensive care unit because of complications. Occasionally a baby dies.

Newborn babies feel pain. In fact, they may feel it more acutely than adults.
An adult knows that the pain caused by an operation will end. A baby cannot know this. Amputation of the foreskin, even if it is done with local anaesthetic, is an intensely painful and traumatic procedure. It is true that some babies do not cry during circumcision. They are too deeply shocked to do
so. Instead, they withdraw. Whether a baby cries inconsolably or is overwhelmed by shock, he has a raw and painful scar afterwards. He is often so distressed that there are feeding problems, and a woman who longed to
breastfeed may be unable to do so. Sometimes a mother observes that her baby's personality seems to have changed. Perhaps it is not only the pain. Trust has
been destroyed. The rhythms of love and intimacy between a mother and her newborn have been disrupted.

Although few doctors still defend circumcision as medically necessary, they are often slow to criticize it because they believe that babies cannot feel much, and they are concerned that to challenge circumcision may appear to be anti-Semitic. Men who were circumcised themselves may believe that it never
did them any harm. Some parents want a son to be circumcised so that he can be the same as "everyone else" - an argument that is also used to support the practice of female clitoridectomy and infibulation in Egypt and Somalia.

The foreskin protects the tip of the penis. You do not need to retract it or work it loose. Trying to do so may tear delicate structures and hurt the baby.
By the time a a boy reaches adolescence it will be more flexible.

If you are Jewish or Muslim you may want to welcome your baby into your faith in a ceremony of blessing and thanksgiving that does not entail mutilation. Do not expect grandparents to find this an easy adjustment. You may need to acknowledge the pain that your decision causes them. But ultimately it is a choice that you make.>>>>
#2 of 7 Old 09-14-2003, 05:14 PM
Banned

Thank you for posting this.

Is the rest of the book good, too?
#3 of 7 Old 09-14-2003, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Her web page has a few sections you can download. I have the copy from the 80's and check out the library copy which I think was from 1993.I always liked the book.It was her books that led me to homebirth both my children!
I am sure this one will be good as well.I have to go back and see what she said about circ in the 80's. Curious now.I have asked my library to order this recent edition.They are quite good about ordering books or videos for circulation that I request.
sara
Her web page has a few sections you can download. I have the copy from the 80's and check out the library copy which I think was from 1993.I always liked the book.It was her books that led me to homebirth both my children!
I am sure this one will be good as well.I have to go back and see what she said about circ in the 80's. Curious now.I have asked my library to order this recent edition.They are quite good about ordering books or videos for circulation that I request.
sara
http://www.sheilakitzinger.com/
#4 of 7 Old 09-14-2003, 07:01 PM

I love all of books and highly recomend them!!!!!!

I have read:
*Birth Your Way
The Experience of Childbirth
****Ourselves as Mothers
**The Year After Childbirth
The Crying Baby
Breastfeeding your Baby
Pregnancy and Childbirth
and her Homebirth book

Mommy to Ryah 12, Reanna 11, Parker 6 and Cooper 3 months
#5 of 7 Old 09-19-2003, 10:11 PM

The only sentence I have a problem with is "Sometimes the penis is damaged irreparably."

The penis is ALWAYS damaged irreparably. That should be fairly obvious.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#6 of 7 Old 09-20-2003, 08:19 AM

How True, Alice.

Mincing Words . . .
#7 of 7 Old 09-20-2003, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Good point and I agree.Will have to write Sheila again.Someone asked me the other day why I didn't circ my boy and I said," Why in the world would I want to make his penis smaller and less sensitive?Circumcision removes a lot more parts than just skin.It is wrong to mutilate his normal penis for social/religious conformity."
Just got a look in response,but it felt good to say how I feel!
Sara

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page