New article out arguing AGAINST circumcision for HIV! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 05-06-2008, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here’s the PRWeb Press Release announcing the article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/prweb/200805.../prweb916104_1

Please distribute this wherever you see fit!

Here are the direct links to the article on FutureMedicine.net.

Citation:
http://www.futuremedicine.com/doi/ab...469600.2.3.193

Full Text:
http://www.futuremedicine.com/doi/fu...469600.2.3.193

PDF:
http://www.futuremedicine.com/doi/pd...469600.2.3.193

Gillian
#2 of 30 Old 05-06-2008, 06:54 PM

I am only 1/4 of the way through and I just had to stop and say that this is the most reasonable thing I've read on this topic since it got kicked up a year or two ago. Excellent find spread it around.
#3 of 30 Old 05-06-2008, 07:22 PM

It's about time! Now, I don't claim to be a harvard professor or anything but I couldn't believe anyone would think cutting off something would make you less prone to hiv

Monther of Riley (11), Andrew (4) and Victoria (7 months)
#4 of 30 Old 05-06-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandynee22 View Post
I don't claim to be a harvard professor or anything but I couldn't believe anyone would think cutting off something would make you less prone to hiv
I agree, it just doesnt make any sense

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#5 of 30 Old 05-06-2008, 09:21 PM

Mods, could we archive or sticky the pdf or something?
#6 of 30 Old 05-06-2008, 09:33 PM

This is great news!!
#7 of 30 Old 05-06-2008, 09:41 PM

This is great, but I fear it will be totally ignored by the media, and therefore go unnoticed. The media went bonkers over those African studies. Maybe it would help to email news outlets with links to the full text of the article.
#8 of 30 Old 05-07-2008, 12:58 AM

Whoa, that's fantastic! I can't wait to share it.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#9 of 30 Old 05-07-2008, 02:39 AM

Quote:
"There is not enough evidence to conclude circumcision would offer any real long-term benefit in the HIV battle. Even if circumcision did reduce the risk of HIV infections, condoms and safe-sex practices are still far more effective. If an individual is engaging in high-risk behavior, he and his partner are at risk, regardless of whether he is circumcised or not."
THANK GOODNESS, SOMEONE FINALLY GETS IT.

Common sense is alive and well in the medical community.
#10 of 30 Old 05-07-2008, 04:03 AM

I KNEW this was going to happen!

I'm kinda scared for the day Africa wises up, don't get me wrong I hope they do & quickly so they'll stop waiting in lines to be circ'd...

They're going to realized they were lied to by the pro-circ lobby in order to push an agenda. Thats going to PISS them off and thats the day an angry MOB will want revenge... Just letting my imagination get away with me.

Thanks Gillian. This is a fantastic article!!! thanks for sharing.
#11 of 30 Old 05-07-2008, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
I KNEW this was going to happen!

I'm kinda scared for the day Africa wises up, don't get me wrong I hope they do & quickly so they'll stop waiting in lines to be circ'd...

They're going to realized they were lied to by the pro-circ lobby in order to push an agenda. Thats going to PISS them off and thats the day an angry MOB will want revenge... Just letting my imagination get away with me.

Thanks Gillian. This is a fantastic article!!! thanks for sharing.
Well, I would like to give more credit to the African people to believe they would find more productive ways of resolving social tensions, then forming into mobs.

But this wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened to Africa. When Europe carved up the continent into colonies, they forced western cultural practices on them, looking at what they had as backwards. What did that cause, just the near or total break down of their societies. The west has a history of taking action to "help" before they even take the time to see if that "help" may actually cause more harm.

This is just another example of that. Hopefully its was caught soon. Still, what happened there was a human rights violation at the most, and poor, careless relief work at the least, both that deserve some kind of punishment, or at least a note. Yet neither will happen.
#12 of 30 Old 05-09-2008, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Bump: Important article if you haven't seen this yet.

Gillian
#13 of 30 Old 05-09-2008, 08:04 AM

I am also concerned this will not get the publicity it deserves. The pro-circ. side is well connected in media and goverment agencies, common sense is not.

Please help get the other side out there by e-mailed the links above to all the news contacts, blogs (really could be very important in spreading the word), and agency officials you have contacts for.

If there are any specific AIDS researchers or reporters who have written extensively about this issue that you have contact info, please consider mailing them a hard copy.
#14 of 30 Old 05-09-2008, 10:00 AM

This article is so logical it's refreshing.

I particularly thought this part *should* wake up some here in the US, how others can see it so plainly:

Quote:
Newborns are not sexually active and, therefore, not at risk for sexually contracted diseases. Ethically and according to human rights law, circumcising an unconsenting child is in many ways similar to forcing circumcision upon an unwilling adult. Children deserve special protection from practices that put them at unnecessary risk and abrogate their rights to self-determination in the future.
Under the "Unethical Medical Practice" section.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#15 of 30 Old 05-09-2008, 01:18 PM

Unfortunutely in the BBC today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7391768.stm

"Substantial investment in condom promotion, HIV testing and vaccine research has had limited success in Africa, they argue in Science.

Instead male circumcision and reducing multiple sexual partners should become the "cornerstone" of prevention".

Just makes me feel kinda icky inside.
#16 of 30 Old 05-09-2008, 09:11 PM

I sent it to one of the NPR stations in Seattle

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#17 of 30 Old 05-09-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tireesix View Post

"Substantial investment in condom promotion, HIV testing and vaccine research has had limited success in Africa, they argue in Science.

Instead male circumcision and reducing multiple sexual partners should become the "cornerstone" of prevention".

Well, it's again the same people who funded the African studies; so of course, they will promote their research. The only reason why they are called "top researchers" is because they are sitting at Harvard. With the school come all the titles. The sad fact is that most scientists don't read their colleagues work; and so error and poor record keeping usually go unnoticed. Most people solely concentrate on their own stuff; and those with the most titles and money have more publicity rights. Hence, all this African nonsense. I am glad though Dr. Green and others are challenging this circ. hype. Hopefully, we shall see more of this in the future.
#18 of 30 Old 05-09-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tireesix View Post

What they are essentially saying is dump ABC. Those statements, and that article, is clearly false. It really is disappointing that such misleading facts are put out unchecked. It will undermine much of the hard work that has been done to improve the situation in Africa. No matter how many times these clowns try and say it the fact is circumcised or not condoms are required and circumcision adds no additional benefit.
#19 of 30 Old 05-10-2008, 03:21 AM

I just find myself being disappointed by the BBC time and time again. Why have that article instead of the other? Grrrrrrrrrrr.
#20 of 30 Old 05-10-2008, 08:51 AM

Because in the UK there is no danger of that being taken seriously. There is also no danger that it will happen to any British man - it's all happening to them over there, so when a press release about it arrives it's probably just published completely uncritically.

If they'd received a press release about the other research, or even were aware about the raging controversy about it in the States, they'd probably publish that too.
#21 of 30 Old 05-12-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calyxir View Post

If they'd received a press release about the other research, or even were aware about the raging controversy about it in the States, they'd probably publish that too.
Well maybe it's time we make them aware of the raging controversy. Who do we need to call?
#22 of 30 Old 05-13-2008, 06:41 PM

This would probably be a great article to send to the people who are now contemplating changing circ policy in the US. Doctors and administrators are really busy people, and I don't think they always stay on top of/ are aware of breaking studies as we might think they would be.

Anyone have a list of emails/addresses for these folks? I know it's been given here a million times, but I don't know offhand where to find it
#23 of 30 Old 05-13-2008, 07:48 PM

Has anyone considered sending this to Andrew Sullivan? Perhaps that would help spread the word.
#24 of 30 Old 05-13-2008, 09:13 PM

A bunch of important US officials and policy makers are listed at the end of this post:

http://www.circumcisionandhiv.com/the-aap-project.html
#25 of 30 Old 05-13-2008, 11:44 PM

#26 of 30 Old 05-14-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhispers View Post
The Salem-News is always willing to give the intactivist side a voice. It's a shame they're the only ones.
#27 of 30 Old 05-14-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papai View Post
The Salem-News is always willing to give the intactivist side a voice. It's a shame they're the only ones.
That is certainly a good thing though it is a shame this story was otherwise ignored.
#28 of 30 Old 05-14-2008, 03:10 PM

So I just emailed the NYT and the Associated Press to alert them to the Yahoo press release. For the AP, also sent the link to the full article (probably should have done that for the NYT email, too).
#29 of 30 Old 05-14-2008, 04:36 PM

I emailed everyone at the Detroit Free Press. Got nothing in response. :/
#30 of 30 Old 05-14-2008, 05:26 PM

Many sources of data contradict the claim that circumcision protects against HIV. The United States has one of the highest rates of circumcision and HIV infection in the developed world. European nations, which rarely practice circumcision, have very low rates of HIV. Numerous regions in Africa show higher rates of HIV in circumcised populations compared to uncircumcised populations. For example, 2004 data from Lesotho show HIV infection of 15 percent for uncircumcised males and 23 percent for circumcised males. A 2007 study showed that, once commercial sex worker patterns were taken into consideration, circumcision status was irrelevant in HIV infection rates.

Great info!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page