What the h3ll is wrong with people?!?!?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This "woman" on another board I frequent posted about declining ultrasounds because "if they are studies that prove they hurt whales then what makes it ok to my baby" Ok I get the U/s issue, but in her signature, it says she has 2 circed boys What on Earth? An ultrasound may possibly do something to your baby, but when it comes out you are going to mutilate and tortue it anyway?!?!?! How do people look at themselves in the mirror? How can they not see the insanity??????????????????????????
#2 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 05:52 PM

Yeah, I saw that too...she has said that both her boys "had" to be circ'ed.

Stephanie ~ Mama to Avery (7/07) & Iona (3/10)
#3 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 05:55 PM

Just like my natural childbirth, vegetarian, extended breastfeeding, cloth-diapering friend...who circ'd...twice...I don't get it either.

Laura...part-time OB nurse, and full-time mom to two sweet boysnocirc.gifintactlact.gif
#4 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaLauraRN View Post
Just like my natural childbirth, vegetarian, extended breastfeeding, cloth-diapering friend...who circ'd...twice...I don't get it either.
I have one of those too, and it makes absolutely no sense to me. She's pregnant right now and due here in a week or so and I know they plan on circ'ing because her husband wants it done. It literally makes me sick...
#5 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snangel View Post
This "woman" on another board I frequent posted about declining ultrasounds because "if they are studies that prove they hurt whales then what makes it ok to my baby" Ok I get the U/s issue, but in her signature, it says she has 2 circed boys What on Earth? An ultrasound may possibly do something to your baby, but when it comes out you are going to mutilate and tortue it anyway?!?!?! How do people look at themselves in the mirror? How can they not see the insanity??????????????????????????
Its because they see circumcision in a way that we cant any longer. She sees a difference. To her, circumcision is a surgery, like any other surgery thats actually needed. But ultrasounds dont provide any benefit, just harm.

Imagine if someone was disgusted with you because you had your sons nearly bursting appendix removed, but then said you thought ultrasounds were harmful.

From her perspective, its the same thing. This is proof that proper education can go a long way in changing opinions.
#6 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Oh good g@d! Now there si another woman horrified at the thought of the vit k shot, but is going to circ?!?!?! How....sorry i'm really just having a bad day, and all of this is breaking my heart.
#7 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Oh good g@d! Now there si another woman horrified at the thought of the vit k shot, but is going to circ?!?!?! How....sorry i'm really just having a bad day, and all of this is breaking my heart.
GAH! I just saw that too...still thinking about the wording of my response...

#8 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perspective View Post
Its because they see circumcision in a way that we cant any longer. She sees a difference. To her, circumcision is a surgery, like any other surgery thats actually needed. But ultrasounds dont provide any benefit, just harm.

Imagine if someone was disgusted with you because you had your sons nearly bursting appendix removed, but then said you thought ultrasounds were harmful.

From her perspective, its the same thing. This is proof that proper education can go a long way in changing opinions.
I agree. For some people, they are swayed by the pro circ talk of benefits and downplaying of the risks. Either that, or they are just so blinkered by what everyone else does and what they know that they don't even think to question it.
#9 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Here's my reply:

Hi mama! Congrats on your pregnancy!

Here is a great link

And another great link

It's not recommended by the AAP (or any other major medical association in the world) and there is a pretty high rate of complications - like the 10% risk of meatal stenosis (almost unheard of in intact boys, and often requiring surgery to correct) and that's just one thing that can go wrong. Circ'ing could also jeopardize your breastfeeding relationship.

Intact boys are easier to take care of too - you just clean it like a finger (never retract it!) and there's no open wound to try to keep clean in a wet/poopy diaper. Just a few things to think about before you decide...feel free to PM me if you want any more info

#10 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 08:31 PM

Yeah. I know (or should I say am related to ...) some anti-ultra-sound, non-vaxing, extended breast feeding, organic food eating people who also circ and use To Train Up a Child. Really makes you wonder, huh?
#11 of 21 Old 05-15-2008, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nini02 View Post
Here's my reply:

Hi mama! Congrats on your pregnancy!

Here is a great link

And another great link

It's not recommended by the AAP (or any other major medical association in the world) and there is a pretty high rate of complications - like the 10% risk of meatal stenosis (almost unheard of in intact boys, and often requiring surgery to correct) and that's just one thing that can go wrong. Circ'ing could also jeopardize your breastfeeding relationship.

Intact boys are easier to take care of too - you just clean it like a finger (never retract it!) and there's no open wound to try to keep clean in a wet/poopy diaper. Just a few things to think about before you decide...feel free to PM me if you want any more info
what did they say?

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#12 of 21 Old 05-15-2008, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

She still has not responded but here is what I said....

It sounds as if you are sitting on the fence, on whether or not to circ this baby. If part of you is saying no, there is a reason. Listen to that part, do some real hard research and soul searching. You can't un-do a circ, but he can always choose it when he is old enough. This is a huge decision, and one that if any piece of you says no, you may regret it later, and have to deal with the feeling of guilt I have watched so many mothers go through. If I can help, or get you links, please let me know.
#13 of 21 Old 05-15-2008, 07:43 PM

I know someone like this too who is very much into natural mothering and yet chose to circumcize because it's "cleaner"! Makes no sense from my perspective, but I must assume she believes this in her heart.

Sometimes, a person has not been introduced yet to ALL issues concerning natural type living or trends that are common among those who are AP minded. Take Elimination Communication. I had not clue what that was until recently. For me, it was a gradual introduction. First, I was into natural birthing, then extended breastfeeding, later I was introduced to homebirthing, cloth diapering, etc.....some women just haven't realized that circumcision is, among other things, a natural mothering type issue (or should I say intactness is).

It just takes gently education

:
#14 of 21 Old 05-16-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertandenith View Post
what did they say?
Well, several other people have replied to her asking her to please research circ like she has vaxes & vit K, and she replied about her first son's circ -

Quote:
While I know both sides of the story, I also know that my son DID not feel pain, the doctor DID use EMLA cream for pain and my DH watched the procedure, he was NOT strapped to an awful table like the pictures on the no-circ pages show, and he didn't die, bleed or have any complications, the surgery took 5 minutes. I do know that there is not a significant number of health benefits enough for the AAP to reccomend it (however I don't listen to the AAP regarding vax, so their opinion on circ does not mean much to me). I do know that the websites I have seen that are anti circ portray it totally different from what I have whitnessed with my own eyes, so I feel that it is flawed information on both sides of the spectrum. I don't need anyones help deciding.
I'm a bit confused about how her DH watched the procedure, but by the end of the paragraph its "witnessed with my own eyes"

A later reply also said that she *thinks* they want to circ him, she just wants to know if they should get him the shot of vit K so he doesn't bleed. How can someone research circ and still possibly think that it's an acceptable thing to do? I will never understand....it's so depressing. :

#15 of 21 Old 05-16-2008, 12:50 PM

I just ran into both of those threads. Depressing indeed. Forget about the *possible* complications...what about the definite, permanant effects of circ!? Soooo concerned about her kid's health? Um yeah sure.
#16 of 21 Old 05-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Fi.

Quote:
Now there si another woman horrified at the thought of the vit k shot, but is going to circ?!?!?!
Has anyone pointed out that they won't do the circ without the baby having vit k first? That was their biggest hang up when we refused it. "How is he going to be circumcised?!?!" "He's not" "...oh...okay"

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
#17 of 21 Old 05-16-2008, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Ummmm......unfortunately there were several other women who said they didn't do the vit k, yet still circed. I am just so done with these mainstream boards, if only there were diapers elsewhere....
#18 of 21 Old 05-16-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I'm not on this other board...but why on earth would you advertise you had two circed sons in your signature?

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#19 of 21 Old 05-17-2008, 01:42 AM

Quote:
I have seen one or two of those on my travels on the internet, in fact I ran into one last night. She was absolutely insistent on circ'ing and was not open to listening to any suggestions about leaving her son intact. It was soooo sad.

I agree that it is odd to advertise that your sons are circ'ed in your siggy, but I have seen it before with other moms, and have also seen the pukey "be wise, circumcise" blinkies in a lot of siggys too (on another site).
#20 of 21 Old 05-17-2008, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdmama06 View Post
I agree that it is odd to advertise that your sons are circ'ed in your siggy, but I have seen it before with other moms, and have also seen the pukey "be wise, circumcise" blinkies in a lot of siggys too (on another site).
OMG I would flip if I saw that...thankfully i have not ran across that yet....I tend to have a big mouth and would make some comment.....yes yes I know flys traps, being rude.....sometimes though it is necessary....
#21 of 21 Old 05-19-2008, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wait--wait--wait.... did you see the comment about how her baby was circumcised by the doctor, but not strapped into a circumstraint board. What the heck? Did the doctor just leave the baby unsecured on the table during the surgery? Yeaaaah, I don't quite believe that.

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page