What threads do I NEED to read - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-16-2008, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now that i have lurked here for two years, and am having a son, and am NOT circing, what do I really need to know.
I know I shouldn't do anything. But exactly how?
Does that even make sense?
What if poop manages to encrust itself on the penis, do I just submerge the baby in water?
I know I sound like a moron, I just don't know!

*hiding from the tomatoes and the laughter*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 05-16-2008, 02:48 AM

I'm saying this in good humor, but if poop is crusting on the penis you need to change the diaper more frequently!

seriously though...you don't need to do anything. Yeah, sometimes a bath is needed after a particularly messy and widespread poop explosion (with any baby!), but you're not going to treat the penis as this weird thing that you have to be extra careful around or anything, just cleanse your whole baby gently...because well, he's a baby! Gentle is a good thing!

I guess the stickies are the threads anyone should read but they mostly address what to do if there is a problem, or a question.

I don't think you sound like a moron at all, just like a momma who wants to do the right thing for her babe!

6/9/2005 6/30/2007 10/17/2009 (Ebstein's Anomaly)
#3 of 14 Old 05-16-2008, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThundersCry View Post
Now that i have lurked here for two years, and am having a son, and am NOT circing, what do I really need to know.
I know I shouldn't do anything. But exactly how?
Does that even make sense?
What if poop manages to encrust itself on the penis, do I just submerge the baby in water?
I know I sound like a moron, I just don't know!

*hiding from the tomatoes and the laughter*
The NUMBER ONE pice of advice, if there is only ONE thing you could take from this board, it is this: Do not worry, or over think about his penis.

The reason intact boys have problems is because parents worry, and think they need to do something special. Over thinking will cause more problems then solutions.

Overall you should trust your instinct and logic, just like parents back before they even had doctors for advice. They had to read their children to see what was wrong.
#4 of 14 Old 05-16-2008, 04:07 AM

Make sure your doctors don't retract! Tell them before each appointment not to touch the penis. My son is 3 months and that is the only concern I have had to deal with. I just wipe it off when it gets poop on it. I also try to change him pretty frequently, but that would be the same for any baby, boy or girl.
#5 of 14 Old 05-16-2008, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As others have said, there is nothing special you need to do. Here is a good brochure:

http://www.circumstitions.com/Docs/care.pdf

Regards
#6 of 14 Old 05-16-2008, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The intact penis is NOT a ticking time bomb!!!! No need to retract, pervent others from retracting. He'll enjoy a lifetime of benefits from being left the way he was born. CONGRATS!!!!!!!
#7 of 14 Old 05-16-2008, 08:31 AM

CONGRATS ON THAT BABY BOY!!!

make sure that pamphlet Greg posted is brought to your ped, they normally retract without even you knowing!!! So before you hand baby to him/her, make sure they read the care pamphlet.

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#8 of 14 Old 05-16-2008, 11:54 AM

the only concern comes from educating others... Every/any caretaker that might change a diaper and doctors- to prevent from even a gentle retraction.

Congrats on the baby boy!

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#9 of 14 Old 05-16-2008, 12:12 PM

Make sure your pedi understands not to retract in any way, shape, or form. My 8-month-old ds's pedi taught me to push the foreskin back slightly and clean inside. I figured it wasn't really retraction, so I did it a few times. Then my instincts kicked in and I stopped doing it. I found info that says to clean the intact penis like you would a finger. I am going to share it with my intact-ignorant pedi at our next visit, if I don't mail it to her sooner and stop going there altogether.

The best rule of thumb I have heard here is tell the pedi straight up DO NOT TOUCH MY SON'S PENIS. There is no good reason to. None. If the doc thinks there is, she/he needs to be educated.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and on making a wonderful decision to protect your child!
#10 of 14 Old 05-17-2008, 12:13 AM

This thread has some things you might find helpful http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=764732 Just so you know IF it ever happens it may not but for me knowing what might happen lets me figure out ahead of time what to do if it does.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#11 of 14 Old 05-17-2008, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

LOL I thought I would have to come back and find the thread buried.
Yea about the crusting I thought about that after I went to bed. I so didn't mean that! LOL
OK, going to read the rest of the replies. THank you all for replying to me!!
#12 of 14 Old 05-17-2008, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Ah thanks so much people!!!

See, I guess what I really wanted to know was in the brochure- just wash like a finger. Makes so much sense!
Everyone I know that is uncirced (VERY FEW) has been retracted forcibly and that is not going to happen here, so i needed to know what TO do. I don't have to worry about anyone retracting since no one changes diapers around here but me. I will print it out for the pede, but since we are changing to Maria Yerovi (NJ- highly recommended around here) I think (I HOPE) it is already status quo in her office. She won't even prescribe antibiotics supposedly. Not that that means anything.
I have to stop the late night posts.
Let me know if I need to know anything else.
Besides not to vomit when SIL circ's her boy. Because her mother will be watching him. I already went on that tirade a while back and ugh, I hope the next three months will change her mind. Apparently her DH not being circ'd doesn't mean a thing.
We shall see.
#13 of 14 Old 05-17-2008, 01:38 AM

LOL at crusted poop - you should never see that!
Ditto on everyone else's advice. Don't retract the foreskin, not even a little bit, and don't let anyone else do it either. And then just relax. The foreskin is not a cesspool or ticking time bomb. It's super easy to take care of. No worries!

Congrats on your baby boy!
#14 of 14 Old 05-17-2008, 04:07 PM

Thunder what I would do is ask her before the diaper comes off exactly what she plans to do to his penis. The right answer to that should be nothing. If she says anything about checking for abnormalities or checking the meatus then you know she will try to retract.

The safest thing to do is before the diaper comes off just out and out say I do not want you touching his penis at all that way there is no risk at all. Remember you are the parent and it is up to you what the Dr. does or does not do you have zero obligation to allow any exam at all.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page